Gregg Allman, Soulful Trailblazer of Southern Rock, Dies at 69

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gregg Allman, Soulful Trailblazer of Southern Rock, Dies at 69

Gregg Allman, the soulful singer-songwriter and rock 'n' blues pioneer who founded The Allman Brothers Band with his late brother, Duane, and composed such classics as "Midnight Rider," "Melissa" and the epic concert jam "Whipping Post," has died at age 69. He was diagnosed with hepatitis C in 1999 and underwent a liver transplant in 2010.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...cDn?li=BBnb7Kz
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.

I got so much enjoyment from his music over the years. I'm speechless. RIP Gregg Allman.

Comment

This is tough, the Allman Brothers Band is to me what The Beatles and Elvis are to others. I've probably seen the Brothers and their different solo projects 100 or more times. UK football is the only thing I like better.

Comment

Although the Beatles are my favorite band, and I love Elvis' music, comparing them to the Allman Brothers is like comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion. The Allman Brothers Band represents a genre (southern rock) that I love as well. The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd and 38 Special produced some fantastic music.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
          Although the Beatles are my favorite band, and I love Elvis' music, comparing them to the Allman Brothers is like comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion. The Allman Brothers Band represents a genre (southern rock) that I love as well. The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd and 38 Special produced some fantastic music.
          Not to get into a p!$$ing match here but for me they are. Some people remember when Elvis or the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan. I remember vividly the first time I heard the Brothers in 1971 On WSAC-FM " Radio Free Ft Knox". If I had written a What I did on my Summer Vacation paper it would have been "I took a week off work and saw the Allman Brothers Band 4or 5 times. Bill Graham called them "The best damn band in the land". And Ron White said it best " There's two kinds of music, Allman Brothers and not Allman Brothers. I made a lot of great friends from all over the world by going to the shows and trading concert tapes and CDs of their shows.

I have a huge emotional connection to them, they have been the soundtrack of my life.

Comment

No pissing contest here, and I certainly meant no offense. It's just if I was picking a favorite band, I'd like to be able to pick one from each genre of music that I like.

Comment

Just so sad....RIP Gregg Allman

Comment

Gregg Allman, Soulful Trailblazer of Southern Rock, Dies at 69

Collapse
              Working...
              X