Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

Are Any of You Gluten-Free?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are Any of You Gluten-Free?

    Went to a DO who recommended that I give it a try, but my general physician rolled his eyes big time at the recommendation. Gotta admit that the whole thing feels like a fad and that the science seems questionable, but at this point I’m willing to give it a try if it’ll help.

    Any of you done it/doing it? If so, care to talk about the results?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post
    Went to a DO who recommended that I give it a try, but my general physician rolled his eyes big time at the recommendation. Gotta admit that the whole thing feels like a fad and that the science seems questionable, but at this point I’m willing to give it a try if it’ll help.

    Any of you done it/doing it? If so, care to talk about the results?
    From what my physician told me, gluten-free is primarily beneficial for those with Celiac desease, or are otherwise gluten intolerant. Anyone else, there's really no benefit.
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

    Comment


    • #3
      My Wife has Celiac. She has been gluten free for about 5 years now and has done a total 180.

      There is a male tennis player whose name escapes me at the moment who went gluten free. It wasn't because of an allergy. He just wanted to try something different. He started dominating when he went gluten free. Jokovich?
      Isaiah 5:20

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post
        Went to a DO who recommended that I give it a try, but my general physician rolled his eyes big time at the recommendation. Gotta admit that the whole thing feels like a fad and that the science seems questionable, but at this point I’m willing to give it a try if it’ll help.

        Any of you done it/doing it? If so, care to talk about the results?
        My Wife's problems were a constant upset stomach and going to the bathroom after eating. She was losing a lot of weight as well. It was initially thought she had Chrons. Further testing revealed the gluten allergy. We still eat the same outside of pasta. She has her own bread as well. I can tell a little difference in myself. Wheat, barley, rye and soy are big no no's for her.
        Isaiah 5:20

        Comment


        • #5
          At one time I was skeptical of going gluten-free and also thought the whole thing was just a fad/hoax. However, I've been GF for nearly a year because ..........

          Throughout 2015 & 2016, I had persistent, on and off, GI issues. My GI doc did both upper and lower scopes which ruled out Celliac and Chron's but did show Ulcerative Colitis. I am taking Lialda for the UC and things seem to be going well; a follow-up colonoscopy early next year will tell the tale.

          I also was tested for food allergies and found to be allergic to, among other things, wheat. As a result, I've chosen to follow a GF diet since wheat is the main thing to avoid anyway. It's a little difficult at times but there are plenty of tasty, GF foods in stores these days. It's absolutely amazing how many food products contain wheat; it's everywhere. More and more restaurants also feature GF selections.

          The good news is that I feel better and can function normally again since I no longer have to be within a hundred feet of a men's room. I've also lost a little weight because GF keeps me away from cookies and brownies. I CAN still have bourbon which, as everyone knows, has ingredients such as rye, wheat and barley. Gluten is no longer a worry once the grains are distilled : ).

          During all this, along with everything else, I had a really persistent cough that just kept hanging-on. My cough cleared up after being GF for less than a week.

          That's my gluten free story and I'm sticking' to it.. At my age (69), it's always something and I realize that things could be a lot worse. I feel fortunate to only be dealing with UC.
          Last edited by Catgrad7072; 11-10-2017, 12:27 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post
            Went to a DO who recommended that I give it a try, but my general physician rolled his eyes big time at the recommendation. Gotta admit that the whole thing feels like a fad and that the science seems questionable, but at this point I’m willing to give it a try if it’ll help.

            Any of you done it/doing it? If so, care to talk about the results?
            What symptom are you trying to address? A DO is Doctor of Osteopathy correct? If you are having GI trouble, I would think a gastroenterologist would be able to offer more expertise on a diagnosis.

            All of the peer review data suggest that Gluten free matters to those who have a diagnosis of Celiac disease or other diagnosed Gluten problem. There is not much in the way of real scientific evidence that establishes a link between Gluten and the litany of other maladies assigned to it.

            Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

            Comment


            • #7
              My symptoms are all GI-related: mostly lower, IBS stuff, but sometimes upper (nausea, indigestion, etc.). In the last two or three years, I've seen a GI, a DO, and my general physician. The GI wanted to me try a FODMAPS elimination diet, which, if you've ever seen or tried it, you'll know is darn near impossible. The DO is all about the gluten elimination. My general physician, meanwhile, gave a serious eye roll to the gluten-free idea, which he says is overused and should be reserved only for the celiac-afflicted (though he did acknowledge that there are those who can have a serious allergy/sensitivity without having the disease).

              So, I'm kinda stumped.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post
                My symptoms are all GI-related: mostly lower, IBS stuff, but sometimes upper (nausea, indigestion, etc.). In the last two or three years, I've seen a GI, a DO, and my general physician. The GI wanted to me try a FODMAPS elimination diet, which, if you've ever seen or tried it, you'll know is darn near impossible. The DO is all about the gluten elimination. My general physician, meanwhile, gave a serious eye roll to the gluten-free idea, which he says is overused and should be reserved only for the celiac-afflicted (though he did acknowledge that there are those who can have a serious allergy/sensitivity without having the disease).

                So, I'm kinda stumped.
                It sucks to have a problem that you can't get your arms around. It sounds to me like your DO is peddling food woo. That doesn't mean he or she isn't great within their scope of practice. My GP is a DO so I'm not being a hater. That field does seem to attract people that are more willing to uncritically accept "alternative medicine". (at least based on my observations)

                My wife recently went through something where we really saw the benefit of getting a second and third opinion from several specialists in the same field. We finally got clarity on her condition and avoided a misdiagnosis and unnecessary surgery that was recommended by the first specialist. GI stuff can be tough to pin down as there are so many possible pathways for common symptoms.

                I wish I had more insight to offer besides encouragement. Don't stop getting second opinions from specialists until you are satisfied that they understand you and you understand them. Something will probably click and you'll know which is the right way to go. (and take notes)
                Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

                Comment


                • #9
                  My buddy's daughter was having issues similar to yours a few years ago. After some doctor visits and tests brought zero answers she decided to do it her way. She completely changed her diet. She did the paleo diet. Not only did she lose weight but her stomach issues went away as well as her allergies. Not saying you gotta go paleo, but maybe you can control this thing and you don't even know it.
                  Isaiah 5:20

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

                    It sucks to have a problem that you can't get your arms around. It sounds to me like your DO is peddling food woo. That doesn't mean he or she isn't great within their scope of practice. My GP is a DO so I'm not being a hater. That field does seem to attract people that are more willing to uncritically accept "alternative medicine". (at least based on my observations)

                    My wife recently went through something where we really saw the benefit of getting a second and third opinion from several specialists in the same field. We finally got clarity on her condition and avoided a misdiagnosis and unnecessary surgery that was recommended by the first specialist. GI stuff can be tough to pin down as there are so many possible pathways for common symptoms.

                    I wish I had more insight to offer besides encouragement. Don't stop getting second opinions from specialists until you are satisfied that they understand you and you understand them. Something will probably click and you'll know which is the right way to go. (and take notes)
                    I appreciate this. I'm looking for a reputable place to get some honest-to-God tests done, instead of just opinion. It's been a bewildering dilemma. Ready for answers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
                      My buddy's daughter was having issues similar to yours a few years ago. After some doctor visits and tests brought zero answers she decided to do it her way. She completely changed her diet. She did the paleo diet. Not only did she lose weight but her stomach issues went away as well as her allergies. Not saying you gotta go paleo, but maybe you can control this thing and you don't even know it.
                      I've thought about this, too. At the end of the day, eating clean can never be a bad way to go.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Is celiac disease, and the benefits to those with it of avoiding glutens, similar to allergies and avoiding allergens, or is it something different?

                        Does celiac disease develop over time, or is it something to which people are predisposed from early age or birth?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Old School View Post
                          Is celiac disease, and the benefits to those with it of avoiding glutens, similar to allergies and avoiding allergens, or is it something different?

                          Does celiac disease develop over time, or is it something to which people are predisposed from early age or birth?
                          My Wife developed it over time. Of course she has multiple auto immune diseases and those that are are more than likely to get others.
                          Isaiah 5:20

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Old School View Post
                            Is celiac disease, and the benefits to those with it of avoiding glutens, similar to allergies and avoiding allergens, or is it something different?

                            Does celiac disease develop over time, or is it something to which people are predisposed from early age or birth?
                            Ulcerative Colitis (which I mentioned above), according to my GI doc, is some sort of an allergic reaction that just happens. I contracted it later in life (@68) than most people but he wasn't really surprised.

                            I did not ask specifically about Celiac but I'd guess it happens much like UC.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Old School View Post
                              Is celiac disease, and the benefits to those with it of avoiding glutens, similar to allergies and avoiding allergens, or is it something different?

                              Does celiac disease develop over time, or is it something to which people are predisposed from early age or birth?
                              ...

                              Celiac disease is a serious autoimmune disorder that can occur in genetically predisposed people where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine. It is estimated to affect 1 in 100 people worldwide. Two and one-half million Americans are undiagnosed and are at risk for long-term health complications.
                              Read more at https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/un...Ccyi6PXkskm.99
                              Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

                              Comment

                               

                              A Word From Our Founder

                              With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

                              Are Any of You Gluten-Free?

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X