Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

Mel Tillis, Country Entertainer and Songwriter, Dead at 85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel Tillis, Country Entertainer and Songwriter, Dead at 85

Mel Tillis, as famed for his recording career and songwriting as he was for his lifelong stutter, died early Sunday morning at Munroe Regional Medical Center in Ocala, Florida, following a lengthy illness, a representative confirmed. He was 85. As a songwriter, he was known for hits that included the Bobby Bare single "Detroit City," Webb Pierce's "I'm Tired" and the 1969 crossover tune for Kenny Rogers & the First Edition, "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town." As a recording artist and performer, the affable Tillis was the CMA's Entertainer of the Year in 1976, a mainstream country-music superstar at a time when the genre was dominated by pop-leaning country and the burgeoning outlaw movement.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...Pe6?li=BBnb7Kz
    Life Comes At You Fast

Loved Mel Tillis. Another voice I grew up with as my parents had a number of Tillis albums in the late 60s early 70s.

Tillis got his start first as a song writer, and a damned good one - and prolific to boot, writing an estimated 1,000 songs in his career.
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Our high school had no air conditioning. 1970s. Mel Tillis fiddle player offered to come to town for a benefit to raise money to get that fixed. Mel asked him to wait a week and he came himself to help out.
      it was supposed to be to get a/c for the gym. By the time it was over it was enough for the whole school.

Comment

He was quite popular when I was growing up. He made the rounds of all the talk shows and many game shows. It wasn't until years later I learned he was a great songwriter and I'm sure made a fortune with the songs he wrote, not to mention the ones he sung.
        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Mel Tillis, Country Entertainer and Songwriter, Dead at 85

Collapse
        Working...
        X