Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

Tell Us About Your Most Amazing Animal Sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell Us About Your Most Amazing Animal Sightings

While on my way to work this morning, I was fortunate enough to spot two bull elk sparring in a pasture just off the highway. Despite all the time I've spent in the woods throughout my life, this was the first time I'd ever seen a bull in person, let alone two bulls fighting. It was at a distance, but it was still a spectacular sight.

Any cool stories/sightings to share?

I saw a bat once.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
      I saw a bat once.
      If you'd EATEN a bat, THAT would have been amazing......
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Here are some elk from Martin County KY.

Comment

Surveyed the boundary of Bernheim Forest in the mid-80s, mostly in the fall and winter due to less foliage and less time spent cutting sight lines.

Sitting next to an oak at an occupied control point waiting for the instrument man to collect angle and distance data. About 2-3 inches of snow on the ground but a crisp, cloudless, bright sunny day in the upper 20s. Snow and no wind it was very quiet.

Noticed movement out of the corner of my eye and it was a buck about 20 yards away to my left moving up the hill. Then another....then a doe.....then more. Turned out to be a dozen or so deer moving up the hill and across the ridge. I sat perfectly quiet as they all just walked right on through.
          I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

I saw some big horn sheep on the side of Mt. Ranier about 10 years ago. Very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
              I saw some big horn sheep on the side of Mt. Ranier about 10 years ago. Very impressive.
              We saw some variety of bighorn when we were in Glacier last year. Impressive, indeed. I have a dozen stories of wildlife encounters from that trip, but I don't want to flood the thread just yet.

I'm dying to get out to Rainier. I want to climb it.

Comment

I'd never seen a buck until I moved to Northern Kentucky. I used to see them move through my old yard that backed up to a nature preserve. In my new yard, I've seen bucks, doe, fawns, and a coyote that howled and parked himself in the middle of my yard (that startled the crap out of me).

I saw a mama bear and two bear cubs in the Great Smoky Mountains last year which was pretty amazing (after I realized I was safely removed from them).

I also once saw a rigor mortised cow on the side of the Bluegrass parkway.
                When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

We saw some variety of bighorn when we were in Glacier last year. Impressive, indeed. I have a dozen stories of wildlife encounters from that trip, but I don't want to flood the thread just yet.

I'm dying to get out to Rainier. I want to climb it.
                  My daughter and her hubby moved to Seattle years ago. I LOVE IT. Ranier is an imposing sum buck for sure. On a clear day it's easily visible from Seattle even though it's some 54 miles south. It doesn't look real-just enormous lol. After I retire (105 days, 2520 hours), we plan to head to Glacier and other points of interest. My advice is don't hesitate to go to Seattle and the North West. It's like visiting another planet. The people are very nice, the food is killer, and the scenery is breath taking. Start there and maybe take the little lady on a cruise to Anchorage????

Comment

Saw a wildcat cross the road in front of me carrying a dead snake. Red River Gorge.

Saw a mountain lion once 15 feet from where I was sitting at my campsite in the high Sierra mountains. Pretty animal.
                    Last edited by Spiritof96; 11-30-2017, 01:18 PM.
                    Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

I have two and both were at Peabody WMA in Beaver Dam.

Woke up one morning to stoke the fire and get breakfast going when I witnessed a red tail hawk swooping down from the tree line to the left of me into the field to the right of me. She was grabbing mice for her young. She'd fly back to the nest which I couldn't see, and feed them mice. Really cool and this went on for about 20 minutes.

The other time, my buddy and I were by the campfire listening to UK basketball and a pack of coyotes were approaching our area. This was the closest I have ever been to a coyote (about 20 yards). It was dark out and they were in the parking lot to the right of us. We shined our flashlights and all we saw were quite a few pairs of eyes. It was really creepy. We just made a bunch of noise and threw some rocks and they scurried off making a major fuss. I didn't sleep that night.
                      Isaiah 5:20

Comment

^^
                        I also once saw a bald eagle between exit 21 and exit 10 on the Bluegrass Parkway. Only time in my life I've ever seen one in the wild.
                        When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                          ^^
                          I also once saw a bald eagle between exit 21 and exit 10 on the Bluegrass Parkway. Only time in my life I've ever seen one in the wild.
                          I have seen fleeting glimpses in the wild. (In FL, and in Owensboro) but never a good look at one. That’s been a hope since childhood for me.
                          Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

I have seen fleeting glimpses in the wild. (In FL, and in Owensboro) but never a good look at one. That’s been a hope since childhood for me.
                            I wanted to stop and take a closer look but I wouldn't have been able to.

If we include marine life in this thread, I went snorkeling on a coral reef in the Florida Keys, and that was outstanding. I saw a giant grouper hanging out right beneath our boat.

Comment

You guys are going to think I'm making this one up, because if you picture it it looks just like a goofy internet meme. True story, though.

We were somewhere in South Dakota on our way to Glacier. There was a gorgeous lake off to our left, so we stopped to take in the scene. It was raining a bit - a misty rain - but the sun was still peaking through, so everything was kind of shimmery. I looked toward the mountains in the opposite direction, and in the distance I could see two birds flying toward us. I should pause here to say that before the trip, I said that I bald eagle was near the top of things I wanted to see, because up to that point I'd yet to see one outside of Dollywood. So, as these birds get closer - I swear I'm not making this up - a double rainbow emerges between the mountains and the lake, and these birds appeared to be flying right through the middle of it. Once they were close enough to identify, I realized it was a bald eagle carrying a fish from another nearby body of water, and the other bird was an osprey. They'd fly along for a few feet, then they'd collide as the osprey tried to steal the fish. This went on until they both flew out of sight over the lake.

It was a truly remarkable sight.

Later in the week, my wife and I were canoeing on a lake in glacier and we spotted a bald eagle nest. On our way back, sure enough there was an eagle on the nest feeding her young.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Tell Us About Your Most Amazing Animal Sightings

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X