Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell Us About Your Most Amazing Animal Sightings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I've seen 3 bald eagles:

    One in Bernheim Forest in 1985 and 2 in southern Indiana on a flood control reservoir managed by Stucker Fork Water Conservancy. Big ol' nest in a tree overhanging the lake.
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

    Comment


    • #17
      I had a strange thing that happened to me four years ago. It wouldn't have been so strange had I not been in this particular place.

      I was at Veteran's Park near Taylorsville Road and Chenoweth in Louisville. This is far from out in the middle of nowhere: it's actually right off a busy road. There are woods, but the wood wraps right around and through neighborhoods. In short: you're close to civilization.

      I'd just got my dog and was out taking her for a walk. There was a deep snow on: six, seven inches. I walked the dog over to a baseball field and was just starting to head home when, out of the woods about 25 yards in front of me, walks this cat.

      It looked exactly like a wildcat. I mean, exactly.

      The dog pulled at the leash hard and I was just able to keep her on. The cat didn't even glance our way. She walked out of the woods, across the park, and was gone.

      If it was a regular house cat, it was huge. I've also thought the snow could've made it look bigger: it could have been covered in some way.

      But the proximity to those roads has always been weird to me. If that was a wildcat it was basically skulking around in crowded subdivisions and right off huge four-lane highways.

      Really strange.

      In all my hiking I've never had a run-in with anything unusual. Have seen one bear.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post
        You guys are going to think I'm making this one up, because if you picture it it looks just like a goofy internet meme. True story, though.

        We were somewhere in South Dakota on our way to Glacier. There was a gorgeous lake off to our left, so we stopped to take in the scene. It was raining a bit - a misty rain - but the sun was still peaking through, so everything was kind of shimmery. I looked toward the mountains in the opposite direction, and in the distance I could see two birds flying toward us. I should pause here to say that before the trip, I said that I bald eagle was near the top of things I wanted to see, because up to that point I'd yet to see one outside of Dollywood. So, as these birds get closer - I swear I'm not making this up - a double rainbow emerges between the mountains and the lake, and these birds appeared to be flying right through the middle of it. Once they were close enough to identify, I realized it was a bald eagle carrying a fish from another nearby body of water, and the other bird was an osprey. They'd fly along for a few feet, then they'd collide as the osprey tried to steal the fish. This went on until they both flew out of sight over the lake.

        It was a truly remarkable sight.

        Later in the week, my wife and I were canoeing on a lake in glacier and we spotted a bald eagle nest. On our way back, sure enough there was an eagle on the nest feeding her young.
        That sounds fantastic.
        Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post
          You guys are going to think I'm making this one up, because if you picture it it looks just like a goofy internet meme. True story, though.

          We were somewhere in South Dakota on our way to Glacier. There was a gorgeous lake off to our left, so we stopped to take in the scene. It was raining a bit - a misty rain - but the sun was still peaking through, so everything was kind of shimmery. I looked toward the mountains in the opposite direction, and in the distance I could see two birds flying toward us. I should pause here to say that before the trip, I said that I bald eagle was near the top of things I wanted to see, because up to that point I'd yet to see one outside of Dollywood. So, as these birds get closer - I swear I'm not making this up - a double rainbow emerges between the mountains and the lake, and these birds appeared to be flying right through the middle of it. Once they were close enough to identify, I realized it was a bald eagle carrying a fish from another nearby body of water, and the other bird was an osprey. They'd fly along for a few feet, then they'd collide as the osprey tried to steal the fish. This went on until they both flew out of sight over the lake.

          It was a truly remarkable sight.

          Later in the week, my wife and I were canoeing on a lake in glacier and we spotted a bald eagle nest. On our way back, sure enough there was an eagle on the nest feeding her young.
          This is awesome.

          I saw my first osprey this summer playing golf at the aptly named Osprey Point Golf Course on Kiawah Island. Enormous birds.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

            We saw some variety of bighorn when we were in Glacier last year. Impressive, indeed. I have a dozen stories of wildlife encounters from that trip, but I don't want to flood the thread just yet.

            I'm dying to get out to Rainier. I want to climb it.
            When I visited Glacier and Yellowstone, saw a variety of animals that were amazing. To have to stop your car and wait for buffalo cross was amazing.

            Comment


            • #21
              A bald eagle on the Ohio River while cruising on our Pontoon

              Comment


              • #22
                Having been to Alaska 4 times, we've seen every animal peculiar to that State and all in the wild. Several Huge Moose, 3 Mama bears with their twin cubs, 1 Papa bear eating on a Caribou carcass, a large heard of Caribou, a wolf, a red fox, rabbits with the largest hind legs ever and more bald eagles than I could count.
                John 3:3

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                  Having been to Alaska 4 times, we've seen every animal peculiar to that State and all in the wild. Several Huge Moose, 3 Mama bears with their twin cubs, 1 Papa bear eating on a Caribou carcass, a large heard of Caribou, a wolf, a red fox, rabbits with the largest hind legs ever and more bald eagles than I could count.
                  Definitely. Alaska is an amazing place to visit. Probably what I remember most is all the mountain sheep/goats on the cliffs beside the roads. How they can stand like they do is beyond me.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by catfaninin View Post

                    Definitely. Alaska is an amazing place to visit. Probably what I remember most is all the mountain sheep/goats on the cliffs beside the roads. How they can stand like they do is beyond me.
                    They are called Doll Sheep, and you're right they have great balance.
                    John 3:3

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I think the last time I was at my homeplace in Kentucky while coming back I saw a mama bear and two cubs. We were crossing Black Mountain near the top when I spotted them up ahead of us. I got up to that point and stopped. I had the camera close by and tried to get some video. But they were moving way too fast and only got a brief glimpse of one of the cubs. Still a very neat sight.

                      A few years back a hawk landed on our back fence. It had a pretty big snake in its mouth. I couldn't tell what kind it was but it was long. After a couple of minutes the hawk took off with it over into a patch of woods just beyond the fence. I had never seen anything like that before or since.

                      Also saw a huge owl in that same patch of woods. It was way up in a tree in the early spring a few years back. I got out my camera but I was new to it and by the time I got it ready for a shot it took off. Had a huge wingspan. That was the first time I had ever seen an owl flying in the wild before too. A beautiful sight.

                      I see foxes quite a bit where I live too. Many times while I am walking to the bus stop in the early morning hours I will see one crossing the road. I am hearing them at night quite a bit now since it is into their mating season.
                      Kentucky fan since 1971.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        There are quite a few Red Tail Hawks living on UK's campus now. When on campus it isn't uncommon to see them perched atop a stadium light or swooping down to eat rabbits and squirrels.
                        Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by KevinHall View Post
                          I think the last time I was at my homeplace in Kentucky while coming back I saw a mama bear and two cubs. We were crossing Black Mountain near the top when I spotted them up ahead of us. I got up to that point and stopped. I had the camera close by and tried to get some video. But they were moving way too fast and only got a brief glimpse of one of the cubs. Still a very neat sight.

                          A few years back a hawk landed on our back fence. It had a pretty big snake in its mouth. I couldn't tell what kind it was but it was long. After a couple of minutes the hawk took off with it over into a patch of woods just beyond the fence. I had never seen anything like that before or since.

                          Also saw a huge owl in that same patch of woods. It was way up in a tree in the early spring a few years back. I got out my camera but I was new to it and by the time I got it ready for a shot it took off. Had a huge wingspan. That was the first time I had ever seen an owl flying in the wild before too. A beautiful sight.

                          I see foxes quite a bit where I live too. Many times while I am walking to the bus stop in the early morning hours I will see one crossing the road. I am hearing them at night quite a bit now since it is into their mating season.
                          You live in the DC area right? We were just there two weeks ago visiting some friends in Ashburn. It's beautiful country out that way. We came back through Winchester and spent some time on the back roads before getting on the Interstate in Maryland and coming back to Cincinnati. I imagine the wildlife is pretty nice as well. I'd love to live there close to the mountains, the bay, and the ocean as well as the culture of the DC metro areas.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

                            You live in the DC area right? We were just there two weeks ago visiting some friends in Ashburn. It's beautiful country out that way. We came back through Winchester and spent some time on the back roads before getting on the Interstate in Maryland and coming back to Cincinnati. I imagine the wildlife is pretty nice as well. I'd love to live there close to the mountains, the bay, and the ocean as well as the culture of the DC metro areas.
                            Yes we live in Sterling. Very close to Ashburn. This area has become much more urbanized over the years. We have lived in Sterling for 23 years and we have seen it get very crowded. We are hoping to move out towards the Catoctin Mountains in the near future. Its much less crowded and much more affordable homes too. It is very nice once you get just a little west of here. DC hasn't reached that far out quite yet.
                            Kentucky fan since 1971.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by KevinHall View Post

                              Yes we live in Sterling. Very close to Ashburn. This area has become much more urbanized over the years. We have lived in Sterling for 23 years and we have seen it get very crowded. We are hoping to move out towards the Catoctin Mountains in the near future. Its much less crowded and much more affordable homes too. It is very nice once you get just a little west of here. DC hasn't reached that far out quite yet.
                              Nice. It's gorgeous through there and reminds me a lot of the bluegrass region of Kentucky. Ashburn was nice but you could tell the townhouses being built were $$$.

                              We drove into downtown through Great Falls and down through Georgetown. Really nice drive.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

                                Nice. It's gorgeous through there and reminds me a lot of the bluegrass region of Kentucky. Ashburn was nice but you could tell the townhouses being built were $$$.

                                We drove into downtown through Great Falls and down through Georgetown. Really nice drive.
                                Georgetown Pike is a nice drive. I will drive that when I am up that way in Mclean or Tysons. I drove that for a while when I was working in DC. Ashburn has really exploded in the last few years. We looked in Ashburn when we were looking to buy over 23 years ago. Decided on Sterling because it was just a little closer to work. We couldn't afford most of them over there now. Ashburn is also the east coast hub for data storage facilities. They are all over now.
                                Kentucky fan since 1971.

                                Comment

                                Tell Us About Your Most Amazing Animal Sightings

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X