I just retired!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just retired!!!!!!!

Can't believe I just said that, but it's true. Just got home and it feels incredible. So grateful to God (and humbled) to actually reach this point of my life....the end of the rainbow. Been close to hyperventilating most of the morning lol. Need to begin decompressing and re-wiring my brain as to the new reality. My daughter told me..."daddy you have a brand new notebook, and every page is blank". Indeed. Lot's of positives to look forward to. I graduated from UK's College of Agriculture a long time ago. Well I just got a volunteer job with the Jefferson County Agricultural Extension Office here in Louisville, operated by UK's College of Agriculture lol. The idea that I work for and represent UK is something I could only dream of. I'm a homer. I LOVE my alma mater, so this whole deal is really powerful and I'm beyond grateful for the opportunity. Headed to Cumberland next week to drink Sam Adams, cook great food, eat, watch NCAA, nap, hike, rinse and repeat. So many, many other positives looming on the horizon(I'm re-doing my kitchen...I wore the old one out), and on and on. My advice to anyone who will listen.....save your money. If your not in a 401K at work, then get in one. If you in one already, increase your contribution. Start an IRA. Do it!!! End of lecture.

Congrats!

I've drummed the savings beat into the heads of the young guys here. A couple are starting to save, but at a really low rate. Last year was an incredible year for anyone with a retirement account - IRA, 401K Simple, etc. Some of us saw our retirement accounts increase by 20-30% over the last 2 quarters.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by surveyor; 03-16-2018, 09:08 AM.
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Congrats! I have a few more years before I can.

Sounds like you are going to stay active. That's the best advice I could give anyone that is retiring. You can't just sit around when you retire. Most people don't live long when they do that. Enjoy life to max as long as you can.

Surveyor has sound advice too. Save,save,save. 401 K's and IRA's are the way to go. Like Surveyor said the 401K's have increased tremendously the last year. I know mine has. It's in that range Surveyor gave. Start now if you haven't. It really doesn't affect your paycheck all that much either. You get used to that decrease pretty quickly. You also know its going for your own good too.
      Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
        Can't believe I just said that, but it's true. Just got home and it feels incredible. So grateful to God (and humbled) to actually reach this point of my life....the end of the rainbow. Been close to hyperventilating most of the morning lol. Need to begin decompressing and re-wiring my brain as to the new reality. My daughter told me..."daddy you have a brand new notebook, and every page is blank". Indeed. Lot's of positives to look forward to. I graduated from UK's College of Agriculture a long time ago. Well I just got a volunteer job with the Jefferson County Agricultural Extension Office here in Louisville, operated by UK's College of Agriculture lol. The idea that I work for and represent UK is something I could only dream of. I'm a homer. I LOVE my alma mater, so this whole deal is really powerful and I'm beyond grateful for the opportunity. Headed to Cumberland next week to drink Sam Adams, cook great food, eat, watch NCAA, nap, hike, rinse and repeat. So many, many other positives looming on the horizon(I'm re-doing my kitchen...I wore the old one out), and on and on. My advice to anyone who will listen.....save your money. If your not in a 401K at work, then get in one. If you in one already, increase your contribution. Start an IRA. Do it!!! End of lecture.
        Congratulations!! I have a ways to go as I am only 47. Savings, 401k's, and IRA's are a MUST! I listen to a lot of Dave Ramsey and he has really sound advice on the subject. I particularly like his saying, "Live like no one else so later you can live like no one else." Truer words are rarely spoken. Now relax for a bit and go smoke something!
        No man is a failure who has friends

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
          Congratulations!

I was really worried when my mother retired that she wouldn't be able to fill the time. I was wrong and she has loved every minute. Enjoy!
          Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Congratulations, Uncle Dave! I've been retired since 7/29/99 and have never looked back. My system is if I want to do something, I have it worked out to where I can find something to do. If I don't want to do anything, I don't do anything.
            Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

Comment

Congratulations Uncle Dave! I'll be surprised if you have much time to do much at your first volunteer job because of all the other volunteer jobs that will come your way from family and friends. Hey, I just had a thought, now we just might have time to have lunch sometime.
              John 3:3

Comment

Congrats Uncle Dave....Now enjoy your life

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
                  Congratulations, Uncle Dave! I've been retired since 7/29/99 and have never looked back. My system is if I want to do something, I have it worked out to where I can find something to do. If I don't want to do anything, I don't do anything.
                  Quote of the thread. Although I have really lazy days sometimes. Still, have no regrets. Not wealthy and I watch every penny I spend, but worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                    Congratulations Uncle Dave! I'll be surprised if you have much time to do much at your first volunteer job because of all the other volunteer jobs that will come your way from family and friends. Hey, I just had a thought, now we just might have time to have lunch sometime.
                    I want to come

Comment

Originally posted by CATHYnKY View Post

I want to come
                      You know that's fine with me.
                      John 3:3

Comment

Always wanting to meet folks on WCN that I don't know

Comment

Originally posted by CATHYnKY View Post
                          Always wanting to meet folks on WCN that I don't know
                          Meeting up for lunch sounds fun. Somebody decide when and where.

Comment

I just retired!!!!!!!

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X