Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Words of Wisdom You've Never Forgotten

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Words of Wisdom You've Never Forgotten

    I have several, but one that came back to me today was from an older woman I'd always respected. She sensed my impatience with someone who made themselves very unlikable. She said that people who are the least likable need love the most. I believe that's true. Thought I'd ask if you have any wisdoms you've never forgotten.

  • #2
    Been quite a few I wished I'd listened to.

    "It's not all about you" took time to sink in.

    "Don't think someone's mean or evil when maybe they're just ignorant or stupid" is in there too.

    My dad's ongoing one though was "a poor man's word is his bond".

    Comment


    • #3
      One that's stuck with me, "If you're going to do a job, do it right the first time."

      And the advice The Bible gives us, Pray for everyone, even your enemy's .
      John 3:3

      Comment


      • #4
        As a young man I was told, "Don't let the good become the enemy of the best." which it turns out, is a totally backward rendering of the famous, "The perfect is the enemy of the good".

        Despite its suspect origins, the admonition not to settle and to always seek out the "best" or a "better" way to do something has been life-alteringly beneficial to me.
        Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

        Comment


        • #5
          One from my mother: "Put 10% of your paycheck in savings". The first 10 years of my working life, I ignored the hell out of that.

          "Anything worth doing is worth doing right"

          One I realized at an early age, "Your life is the result of choices you've made, good or bad. You are responsible for your own happiness".
          I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by surveyor View Post
            One from my mother: "Put 10% of your paycheck in savings". The first 10 years of my working life, I ignored the hell out of that.

            "Anything worth doing is worth doing right"

            One I realized at an early age, "Your life is the result of choices you've made, good or bad. You are responsible for your own happiness".
            I was told to start a Roth IRA when I was 18. I didn't. I wish I had.
            Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

            Comment


            • #7
              My mom told me she never spent more on something than she thought she should have without regretting it later, because something important always came up.

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't know if it is "words of wisdom" but paying cash for luxury items is something I highly recommend. No matter the item, jewelry for the wife, boutique gun, furniture piece, art, what have you, the process of selecting an item and squirreling away cash over time, and then KNOWING to your core that you aren't damaging personal / family finances in paying whatever the item costs... totally removes the sting or "ouch" of the purchase. The transaction becomes fun and totally liberating. One could even say exhilarating.

                There is no "should" when you have thoughtfully set aside money over time to get THE thing. The item may not meet expectations, but at least it's acquisition was a positive experience. Buying the EXACT engagement ring I wanted for my then fiance, was incredibly empowering and a memory I cherish and every "splurge" item similarly handeled, has always been fun and rewarding.

                Perhaps the relevant word of wisdom would be, "The rich rules over the poor, And the borrower becomes the lender's slave."
                Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
                  I don't know if it is "words of wisdom" but paying cash for luxury items is something I highly recommend. No matter the item, jewelry for the wife, boutique gun, furniture piece, art, what have you, the process of selecting an item and squirreling away cash over time, and then KNOWING to your core that you aren't damaging personal / family finances in paying whatever the item costs... totally removes the sting or "ouch" of the purchase. The transaction becomes fun and totally liberating. One could even say exhilarating.

                  There is no "should" when you have thoughtfully set aside money over time to get THE thing. The item may not meet expectations, but at least it's acquisition was a positive experience. Buying the EXACT engagement ring I wanted for my then fiance, was incredibly empowering and a memory I cherish and every "splurge" item similarly handeled, has always been fun and rewarding.

                  Perhaps the relevant word of wisdom would be, "The rich rules over the poor, And the borrower becomes the lender's slave."

                  Agreed. One thing I've noticed that when I've saved cash to purchase something, by the time I've got enough saved to purchase it, I often times no longer want it. It's a good waiting period tool.
                  I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by surveyor View Post


                    Agreed. One thing I've noticed that when I've saved cash to purchase something, by the time I've got enough saved to purchase it, I often times no longer want it. It's a good waiting period tool.
                    I have experienced that too, Or more likely something better came along. That wedding ring was supposed to be a motorcycle.

                    I suppose I should clarify, that I spend money I have ("cash" paper or otherwise) on everything, so my anecdote is more about planned purchasing vs. unplanned purchasing.
                    Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      To clarify, I don't think my parents ever borrowed to buy anything. My poor wording, I think. An example of paying more might be a couple of options on a car rather than the most basic model. Don't want to give the wrong impression of her words.
                      Last edited by capcat; 05-30-2018, 05:27 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The more you make the more you save.
                        sure wish I'd listened to that better.

                        Turned into spend it then go find a job to pay for it too often.

                        Comment


                        • #13


                          "Oh what a tangled web we weave....When first we practice to deceive."

                          Sir Walter Scott wrote this , not W. Shakespeare.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            On driving: "there are a lot of people in graveyards who had the right of way." - my grandfather said that to me
                            There’s no such thing as someone else’s war, your creature comforts aren’t the only thing worth fighting for

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by surveyor View Post
                              One from my mother: "Put 10% of your paycheck in savings". The first 10 years of my working life, I ignored the hell out of that.

                              "Anything worth doing is worth doing right"

                              One I realized at an early age, "Your life is the result of choices you've made, good or bad. You are responsible for your own happiness".
                              When I started putting 10% into my 401k, I felt a lot better. I wish I had started an IRA at a young age.
                              There’s no such thing as someone else’s war, your creature comforts aren’t the only thing worth fighting for

                              Comment

                              Words of Wisdom You've Never Forgotten

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X