Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwight Clark

The Catch.
    reported he has passed away at the age of 61.
    ALS
    Lou Gehrig disease.

Great memory. Fine player.
    God be with the family and friends.

Clark was a great receiver. He broke my heart with that catch in the 1981 NFC championship game. I was a big Cowboys fan back then and lived a died by them as much as any sports team I followed. It was a great catch that no DB could have defended. Clark was a great find for Bill Walsh. Clark had only caught 30 passes in his career at Clemson. He was only invited to a workout for Clemson QB Steve Fuller just catch some of his passes. He caught everything in sight that day and caught the eye of Walsh. The rest is history. Clark became, along with Jerry Rice, one of Montana's go to guys when a big play was needed. Clark was quoted saying that he felt like the concussions he had while playing caused his ALS. We may never know but I think he could be right. RIP Dwight Clark.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...212532219.html
    Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

I remember "the catch". Someone wrote an article about it on Twitter. The writer said it was the beginning of a dynasty.
      Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
        I remember "the catch". Someone wrote an article about it on Twitter. The writer said it was the beginning of a dynasty.
        Yep that was the first championship for Walsh. IIRC they went to beat the Bengals in the Super Bowl that season. Walsh won two more Super Bowls and George Seifert won another a year after Walsh retired.
        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinHall View Post
          Clark was a great receiver. He broke my heart with that catch in the 1981 NFC championship game. I was a big Cowboys fan back then and lived a died by them as much as any sports team I followed. It was a great catch that no DB could have defended. Clark was a great find for Bill Walsh. Clark had only caught 30 passes in his career at Clemson. He was only invited to a workout for Clemson QB Steve Fuller just catch some of his passes. He caught everything in sight that day and caught the eye of Walsh. The rest is history. Clark became, along with Jerry Rice, one of Montana's go to guys when a big play was needed. Clark was quoted saying that he felt like the concussions he had while playing caused his ALS. We may never know but I think he could be right. RIP Dwight Clark.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...212532219.html
          That game officially closed the door on the Cowboys' run, although they would make it to the NFC Championship the following year and a whuppin' by the Redskins. Danny White became the starting quarterback and was criticized in the media as not being able to win "the big one" - nevermind that the Cowboys didn't have the play makers or defense that surrounded Staubach for years. White would go on to put up impressive numbers on a mediocre team. Not unlike the hand that Tony Romo was stuck with.

I was and still am a big Cowboys fan and hated the 49ers after that.

Sad to see Clark pass, especially in this manner. ALS is a horrible, insidious disease. I don't know which one is worse - ALS or Alzheimer's. One robs the use of your body and one robs your mind.
          I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Smh....for me, I was a StLouis Cardinal football fan when Don Coryell had a guy named Jim Hart throwing....everywhere.
            since the Cowboys were in that division, I developed a dislike for that crew.
            So years later, the catch was a breath of fresh air for me.
            ​​​​​

Comment

Dwight Clark

Collapse
            Working...
            X