Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kidney Stones - Who's got `em or had `em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kidney Stones - Who's got `em or had `em?

The first 51 years of my life I never had a kidney stone. Knew several who had them and was glad it wasn't me based on the description. 4 years ago I had my first one and it was agony. Had a procedure called lithotripsy to shatter it so I could pass it.

Sunday while preparing to leave the Smokies after a few days of hiking I had another attack. Ended up at LeConte Medical Center in the ER. Eventually passed the stone early Monday morning. Follow up visit with my urologist revealed that I have over a dozen stones in my right kidney.
    How does one go from zero stones in 54 years to over a dozen in the span of 4 years? Anyone else ever dealt with it? Was the cause determined?
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Surveyor, I hope you found some answers to your question.

Comment

Originally posted by surveyor View Post
      The first 51 years of my life I never had a kidney stone. Knew several who had them and was glad it wasn't me based on the description. 4 years ago I had my first one and it was agony. Had a procedure called lithotripsy to shatter it so I could pass it.

Sunday while preparing to leave the Smokies after a few days of hiking I had another attack. Ended up at LeConte Medical Center in the ER. Eventually passed the stone early Monday morning. Follow up visit with my urologist revealed that I have over a dozen stones in my right kidney.
      How does one go from zero stones in 54 years to over a dozen in the span of 4 years? Anyone else ever dealt with it? Was the cause determined?
      Ice tea and green beans are a huge contributor to kidney stones. My Wife used to get stones fairly regularly until her doctor told her to lay off, or at least severely limit, tea and green beans. It has been a few years now and she hasn't had one.
      Drink some lemonade if you have stones. It helps to break them up.
      Isaiah 5:20

Comment

Had lithottripsy procedure (2nd time in 4 years) July 2nd to break up the stones in the kidney. Lithotripsy is procedure using ultrasonic waves to pulverize the stones under general anesthesia. Since I've had 3 episodes of gout over the past 3 years it appears that the stones are made up of uric acid crystals, since excess uric acid causes gout. Doc told me best thing to do is drink as much water as possible daily - right now that's up to a gallon a day, lol.
        I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Red meat and beer is a huge contributor to gout.
          Isaiah 5:20

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
            Red meat and beer is a huge contributor to gout.
            Yes. A lot of the stuff that are contributors I consume on rare occasions. Red meat probably twice a month and beer perhaps 2-3 beers per month. Tuna and various shellfishes are also contributors. Anything with high levels of purines are to either be consumed in moderation or avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by surveyor View Post

Yes. A lot of the stuff that are contributors I consume on rare occasions. Red meat probably twice a month and beer perhaps 2-3 beers per month. Tuna and various shellfishes are also contributors. Anything with high levels of purines are to either be consumed in moderation or avoided.
              With all the tuna, steak, and ground beef I eat... I’m doomed.
              Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

I had two 'mild' attacks. No hospital. The first one would have been an ambulance call but I was alone and too sick to grab the phone. I passed out on the bed and about three hours later I passed....something. my wife is cursed with the things.

Comment

Kidney Stones - Who's got `em or had `em?

Collapse
                Working...
                X