2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 First Test: Out With a Bang

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 First Test: Out With a Bang

This is it. The zenith. The top dog. The 755-horsepower ne plus ultraChevrolet Corvette C7. The most powerful and likely the last variant of the front-engine Corvette.

While waiting for the arrival of the mid-engine C8 somewhere in the not-distant future, for the 2019 model year, there are now 28 iterations of the seventh-generation Corvette (C7), including coupe/convertible versions of Stingray, Grand Sport, Z06, and now the ZR1. Is this as good as it gets? Is the ZR1 the greatest Corvette ever?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...aur?li=BBnb7Kz

This is especially for Matt Colvin and surveyor.
    Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

I think it's going to be interesting to see how this current era is viewed after a few years have passed. It's kind of mind boggling that these cars are legal to drive on the street. I have a '16 corvette, the z51 package with manual transmission, and you can get in trouble pretty quickly in it. Three hundred more horsepower? Wow.

Comment

Other than being able to say you own such a beast, I've never understood the appeal of such cars. Unless you took it to the strip, the track or found a stretch of virtually deserted Interstate, you would never be able to attain anywhere near the top end speed such a car would be able to reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
        Other than being able to say you own such a beast, I've never understood the appeal of such cars. Unless you took it to the strip, the track or found a stretch of virtually deserted Interstate, you would never be able to attain anywhere near the top end speed such a car would be able to reach.
        I bet if you drove one you would get the appeal. Driving my late Father's Corvette on KY back roads and parkways was exhilarating and terrifying. Simply going from zero to legal limit in the blink of an eye is unbelievably fun.
        Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Growing up, I lived next door to a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Dealer who let me take a Dodge Viper out for a spin (I was 18 at the time). It wasn't a corvette, but man I opened it up on a long straightaway and that was a huge thrill.

That said, where I live now it would be pretty pointless because every car goes the same speed in traffic.
          Kentuckian residing too close to Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

I bet if you drove one you would get the appeal. Driving my late Father's Corvette on KY back roads and parkways was exhilarating and terrifying. Simply going from zero to legal limit in the blink of an eye is unbelievably fun.
            But, were you ever able to reach it's top end speed?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post

But, were you ever able to reach it's top end speed?
              No. I may or may not have been in a car going north of 140mph on the Pennyrile Parkway once...

Still, I'll make a sports analogy... The athlete with crazy top end speed or max weight lifting power will likely have an easier time accelerating to a sub-max speed or lifting a sub-max weight than someone whose max effort is slower and weaker. It isn't about maxing out the super car it's about how exciting it is to drive the super car from zero to the point where you chicken out.

Comment

Dwight, remember about what year it was? Those things are ruthless. I've never been in one but they seem like they would be more visceral and I do like how it's a nod of the hat to Cobra/Daytona Coupes of yesteryear.

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
                  Dwight, remember about what year it was? Those things are ruthless. I've never been in one but they seem like they would be more visceral and I do like how it's a nod of the hat to Cobra/Daytona Coupes of yesteryear.
                  It was a 1998/99 I think? It was 2001 when I drove it but it was a couple model years old, I remember. He wouldn't let me really open it up obviously but I remember going down Ring Road in E-town and doing about 50 in a second.

I remember it being *extremely* smooth and quiet for a V10 engine, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                    Growing up, I lived next door to a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Dealer who let me take a Dodge Viper out for a spin (I was 18 at the time). It wasn't a corvette, but man I opened it up on a long straightaway and that was a huge thrill.
                    Nice.

The Viper didn't have to be a Corvette. It was a respectable sports car in its own right. 450 hp was kickin' ass in `99. The GTS turned 0-60 in 4 seconds. Damned good for an American built muscle car in `99.
                    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by surveyor View Post

Nice.

The Viper didn't have to be a Corvette. It was a respectable sports car in its own right. 450 hp was kickin' ass in `99. The GTS turned 0-60 in 4 seconds. Damned good for an American built muscle car in `99.
                      The sticker price for it at the time wasn't *that* astronomical. I think MSRP at the time was only around $70,000, which was pretty low for a super car.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

The sticker price for it at the time wasn't *that* astronomical. I think MSRP at the time was only around $70,000, which was pretty low for a super car.
                        That's nearly double the price for a new vette in 99. A Porsche Boxter with similar performance numbers sold in the mid $40s.
                        I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

That's nearly double the price for a new vette in 99. A Porsche Boxter with similar performance numbers sold in the mid $40s.
                          You're right - I had thought a 'Vette started around 70.

Comment

I was wrong on the `99 Boxster - 0-60 was 6 seconds.

Regarding the Viper, Road and Track featured an article a few years ago heralding the Viper as the last great American car.

Comment

I was wrong on the `99 Boxster - 0-60 was 6 seconds.

Regarding the Viper, Road and Track featured an article a few years ago heralding the Viper as the last great American car.
                              I had a Porsche owner tell me once, "The Boxster is your hairdressers Porsche". I always thought they were really cool though.

Comment

2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 First Test: Out With a Bang

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X