Pet Peeves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Peeves

What are yours? I can't stand it when people chew with their mouth open, for some reason it weirds me out when people try to hold a door open for me, and online it really bugs me when people use "of" instead of "have."

Maybe they should of paid attention in English class.

I don't have any pets at the moment so they can't peeve me.
    Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by teamchemistry15 View Post
      for some reason it weirds me out when people try to hold a door open for me
      Interesting you say this.

I'm a notorious door-holder. Why? I'm not sure, I just always have been.

I think it's because I don't like when people don't acknowledge my presence. When they just walk by, etc. Letting a door slam when you're close behind is an indication that the person has no concept of you being there. To me that's the worst thing. I don't want a conversation, but when I'm around someone it's nice to get some eye contact, a nod, a howdy, some indication that they realize I exist. Some people are completely locked up inside themselves, and I often read that as either pretentiousness or rudeness.

The worst thing is when I hold the door and a person blows through and says NOTHING. No thank you, nothing. I've always chalked that up to the person being an a-hole, but your comment here makes me think that perhaps the person didn't want to have the door held for them in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I think it's because I don't like when people don't acknowledge my presence. When they just walk by, etc. Letting a door slam when you're close behind is an indication that the person has no concept of you being there. To me that's the worst thing. I don't want a conversation, but when I'm around someone it's nice to get some eye contact, a nod, a howdy, some indication that they realize I exist. Some people are completely locked up inside themselves, and I often read that as either pretentiousness or rudeness.

The worst thing is when I hold the door and a person blows through and says NOTHING. No thank you, nothing. I've always chalked that up to the person being an a-hole, but your comment here makes me think that perhaps the person didn't want to have the door held for them in the first place.
        I don't mind the door hold if I am right there, but I can't stand the, "I'm 10-20 feet in front of you and I'm-going-to-stand-here-awkwardly-until-you-get-here door hold". I can muster a, "thank you" but I would prefer to avoid the interaction all together in most cases. I especially dislike the Do-si-do door hold in the air lock of a building. One person holds the exterior door then the beneficiary holds the inner airlock door. It's too chummy and co-operative for people I don't know. It always seems that everyone involved recognizes how stupid this politeness dance is.

Having said that, I regularly hold the door if people are right on my heels or arriving at nearly the same time.
        Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

RE the Topic. I have two that send me into a nigh murderous rage.

1. Utility easement's and their reliable abuse buy the company or their contractors. They ALWAYS do what is easiest and most expedient for them (even if it means being outside the easement by a few feet) and show zero regard for the impact on the property. I HATE THEM.

2. People who violate traffic laws and or invite accidents in an attempt to be nice. Maybe this is a Lexington thing, but if I am trying to make a left turn across two lanes, don't stop traffic when you have the right away and try to waive me through. Obey the rules of the road, drive on, and I'll turn when I get an opening. Further, if your lane, (the near lane) is stopped but the adjacent lane isn't don't make a hole and waive me through!!! If everyone is stopped at a light, fine, but stop trying to politely get me killed.

2a. Cyclists who violate traffic laws. You want to be treated like a car, ACT LIKE A CAR AND STOP WITH THE RUNNING RED LIGHTS, STOP SIGNS, AND GOING THE WRONG WAY ON ONE WAY STREETS.

Comment

Now that I'm getting old and unstable on my feet, it peeves me when bratty kids crowd a doorway running to get ahead of me and their parents are right there and say nothing. I was taught to respect everybody, and I do, but parents today just don't care.

Another peeve. Yesterday I went to visit a friend at Baptist East Hospital. I can't walk very far and have a handicapped sign hanging from my mirror. This van pulled into the second handicapped space from the door and two healthy adults and a kid got out. There were no handicapped folks there.

It also bothers me when a driver motions me or someone else to go ahead and make a turn usually across traffic. I know they are trying to be polite and don't realize if I make the turn on their recommendation and someone hits me, they could be held liable for the accident. Suggestion, if you want to allow someone to make a turn, just sit there motionless and then they're on their own.

WHEW!, thanks for the thread, I feel better now.
            John 3:3

Comment

I'm a door holder too because it's just the polite thing to do. I agree with Spirit that if you're 10 feet behind me that it's not necessary but if someone's right behind me, I'm holding the door. I don't understand not wanting the door held, and get irritated when people let it slam in my face when I'm right behind them.

Loud/noisy chewers irritate me to no end.

I work on the 12th floor of a 21 story building - I use the stairs if I'm going less than 3 floors but for the life of me, I get irritated to no end by people that are otherwise able-bodied who stop the elevator to go up or down 1 floor. Walk your lazy a-- to the stairs and don't interrupt the trip for the rest of us.

On the subject of elevator etiquette, the chronology is people exiting the elevator get off and THEN you get on.

I spend a lot of my day irritated.
              Kentuckian residing too close to Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
                RE the Topic. I have two that send me into a nigh murderous rage.

1. Utility easement's and their reliable abuse buy the company or their contractors. They ALWAYS do what is easiest and most expedient for them (even if it means being outside the easement by a few feet) and show zero regard for the impact on the property. I HATE THEM.

2. People who violate traffic laws and or invite accidents in an attempt to be nice. Maybe this is a Lexington thing, but if I am trying to make a left turn across two lanes, don't stop traffic when you have the right away and try to waive me through. Obey the rules of the road, drive on, and I'll turn when I get an opening. Further, if your lane, (the near lane) is stopped but the adjacent lane isn't don't make a hole and waive me through!!! If everyone is stopped at a light, fine, but stop trying to politely get me killed.

2a. Cyclists who violate traffic laws. You want to be treated like a car, ACT LIKE A CAR AND STOP WITH THE RUNNING RED LIGHTS, STOP SIGNS, AND GOING THE WRONG WAY ON ONE WAY STREETS.
                If it weren't for our political disagreements, I'd say you and I are the same person because I agree with all 3 of these points.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                  I'm a door holder too because it's just the polite thing to do. I agree with Spirit that if you're 10 feet behind me that it's not necessary but if someone's right behind me, I'm holding the door. I don't understand not wanting the door held, and get irritated when people let it slam in my face when I'm right behind them.

I work on the 12th floor of a 21 story building - I use the stairs if I'm going less than 3 floors but for the life of me, I get irritated to no end by people that are otherwise able-bodied who stop the elevator to go up or down 1 floor. Walk your lazy a-- to the stairs and don't interrupt the trip for the rest of us.

On the subject of elevator etiquette, the chronology is people exiting the elevator get off and THEN you get on.

I agree about the elevator. I am often in a building that has a Mezzanine cafe on the second floor. In my view, Mezzanine people should walk down 1 flight of stairs and board the elevator on the 1st floor like EVERYONE else. Also if you are 6 floors or less up, use the stairs to go down.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I hold the door for others, and I agree the worst is when they don't even give you a heads up nod. That being said, I don't ignore someone who holds it for me. I typically tell them to go ahead and grab the door behind where they have it. It forces their hand to go in because I took the position behind them. A friend of mine just last week opened it for me and just stood there smiling. Luckily it was a double door so I opened the one on the left and walked through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

I agree about the elevator. I am often in a building that has a Mezzanine cafe on the second floor. In my view, Mezzanine people should walk down 1 flight of stairs and board the elevator on the 1st floor like EVERYONE else. Also if you are 6 floors or less up, use the stairs to go down.
                      Patterson Office Tower?

Comment

Patterson Office Tower?
                        Perhaps.

Comment

I don't mind if someone holds the door open as they walk through. I just don't like the "let me stand here and hold it like a bell boy at a five star hotel" hold. The slight push with the hand to swing it open for me as I walk in behind them is fine, but don't hold it open and let me walk in before you.

Comment

The inviting a rear end collision by being polite isn't a Lexington thing - I see it all the time. I see a near-collision at least once a week because, on a 4 lane road where someone needs to make a left, someone in the furthest right lane decides to be nice and hold up traffic to let the person dart across. It doesn't work like that.

I also witnessed a car just stop in traffic one day to let a semi make a left onto the Interstate. That car was just asking to get rear ended.

Comment

Vulgar language in public settings.
                              Entitlement
                              Littering
                              People who use EMS as their free Uber

Comment

Pet Peeves

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X