Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Clark passes at 85

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/...85-1203029645/

IMO, Clark was one of the top 15-20 guitarists in his prime, and among the top 3 country guitarists in his prime.

One quibble with this article is the statement that Clark was one of the pioneers of the Bakersfield sound. Clark's only connection to the Bakersfield sound is performing on Hee Haw with Buck Owens in `69. The Bakersfield sound came along years earlier with much of it credited to Owens and guitarist Don Rich - well before they ever worked with Clark.
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

I would have lost the bet that he was still alive.

Very talented guy, my Grandpa didn’t like him, said he was full of himself. Grandpa didn’t approve of playing with cards or dice either so... ymmv.
    Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Clark was a great great guitarist. He always seemed very likable to me. Just a down home country guy. He was terrific in the co host role of Hee Haw. My dad watched that every Saturday night and that's how I got to be familiar with him and many other country stars of that time. RIP Roy Clark.
      Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Roy Clark was a multi talented man, and was a very important part of one of my favorite TV shows. Hee Haw.
        John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
          I would have lost the bet that he was still alive.

Very talented guy, my Grandpa didn’t like him, said he was full of himself. Grandpa didn’t approve of playing with cards or dice either so... ymmv.
          I can see how one would get that impression. He mugged alot and conveyed an "aw shucks" demeanor while playing difficult riffs. That said, I think every successful entertainer, athlete, etc. has to be full of themselves to be successful. It's pure confidence, for lack of a better term.
          I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by KevinHall View Post
            Clark was a great great guitarist. He always seemed very likable to me. Just a down home country guy. He was terrific in the co host role of Hee Haw. My dad watched that every Saturday night and that's how I got to be familiar with him and many other country stars of that time. RIP Roy Clark.
            Loved watching it with my parents and grandparents growing up. I'm old enough to still remembering laughing out loud at Stringbean's attire. The show was the motivation to take guitar lessons at 7.

Comment

You kind of have to be to put yourself out there in front of thousands like that. A lot of that is a mask for their own insecurities - if you appear bulletproof, people's criticism doesn't appear to sting as much.
              "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by surveyor View Post

I can see how one would get that impression. He mugged alot and conveyed an "aw shucks" demeanor while playing difficult riffs. That said, I think every successful entertainer, athlete, etc. has to be full of themselves to be successful. It's pure confidence, for lack of a better term.
                I would’ve been smug too if I could play like him...
                Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Yup.

To quote Ali - "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up". I believe Reggie Jackson also borrowed that line at one time.

Comment

Sad news. Grew up with Hee Haw. Clark taught himself to play which isn't an easy task. He was very talented. One day I am gonna learn how to play the guitar. I have always wanted to wield an axe.
                    No man is a failure who has friends

Comment

Roy Clark passes at 85

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X