Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

    Just prayed protection over you.
    Thank you Brother!
    Isaiah 5:20

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by CATHYnKY View Post
      Saw a comment that kids today are wimps calling off school. I think there are other factors today that weren’t there when I was in school. Would like to see a history of when school has been called off because of cold, not bad roads starting in the 60s
      I think it happened once in my school lifetime in KY.
      Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

      Comment


      • #18
        It happened up here a few years ago when it was similarly cold. It snowed a half inch or so last night, but where it's so cold and the salt trucks are pretty ineffective in these temperatures, the roads were a nightmare this morning. I dropped my son off at daycare and came back home to work.

        There's some real subtweeting going on here but anyone that says kids are wimps for not going to school in this weather should go stand outside at 6:30 am to wait for the bus for 30 minutes.
        When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

        Comment


        • #19
          It is 2 degrees in Louisville right now......will not be leaving the house today

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by TrueblueCATfan View Post
            It is 2 degrees in Louisville right now......will not be leaving the house today
            The birds aren't even out today!!

            Comment


            • #21
              I'm not calling anyone a wimp, but I do believe each generation is a little softer than the one before it, simply because demands change.
              Life Comes At You Fast

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                It happened up here a few years ago when it was similarly cold. It snowed a half inch or so last night, but where it's so cold and the salt trucks are pretty ineffective in these temperatures, the roads were a nightmare this morning. I dropped my son off at daycare and came back home to work.

                There's some real subtweeting going on here but anyone that says kids are wimps for not going to school in this weather should go stand outside at 6:30 am to wait for the bus for 30 minutes.
                I'm not saying kids are wimps today mainly because we parents and gtandparents have made them the way they are. Now this was a long time ago but the truth just the same. I remember in very cold and snowy weather, not knowing whether school was in or not. We walked about a half mile to catch the bus, wait to see if it came, and if it didn't walk back home with no place to warm up in between.

                John 3:3

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

                  I'm not saying kids are wimps today mainly because we parents and gtandparents have made them the way they are. Now this was a long time ago but the truth just the same. I remember in very cold and snowy weather, not knowing whether school was in or not. We walked about a half mile to catch the bus, wait to see if it came, and if it didn't walk back home with no place to warm up in between.
                  For a whole host of reasons, 2019 is a lot different than the 1950's and 60's. Dangers exist now that didn't exist back then. We also used to not put kids in car seats, and I used to ride in the front seat of my parents car when I was 8. Kids aren't wimps now because we've figured out that was extremely dangerous.
                  When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

                    For a whole host of reasons, 2019 is a lot different than the 1950's and 60's. Dangers exist now that didn't exist back then. We also used to not put kids in car seats, and I used to ride in the front seat of my parents car when I was 8. Kids aren't wimps now because we've figured out that was extremely dangerous.
                    Yep. My Sister and I rolled around in the back seats and floorboards.
                    Isaiah 5:20

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      If you must be out in this make sure you layer up. It's colder now than it was last night. I didn't get cold last night but saw WAY too many that were because they think the form fitting clothing they always wear would work in this cold. In a nice way I scolded a crew mate of mine because he kept talking about how good he would be because he had his tight flannel jeans on and his form fitting carharrts over that. I knew he would be toast and he was then he starts getting all angry about it. Layer up loosely and wear mittens and wear one pair of socks with some good boots. Wear ZERO cotton. Sweat is your enemy in the cold. After 30 years he still hasn't learned his lesson. Was rather funny because he's the Mr. Perfect guy on the crew. I was chuckling inside.
                      Last edited by Blue Heaven; 01-30-2019, 02:56 PM.
                      Isaiah 5:20

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

                        For a whole host of reasons, 2019 is a lot different than the 1950's and 60's. Dangers exist now that didn't exist back then. We also used to not put kids in car seats, and I used to ride in the front seat of my parents car when I was 8. Kids aren't wimps now because we've figured out that was extremely dangerous.
                        Cold isn't a new thing, but the way we approach and treat it is. I'm 76 and I certainly can't handle it like I used to, but my grandkids could if they had to. I'm glad they don't, but I disagree with calling off school because of cold, and that's OK. Now heavy snow or ice is another thing. As for things being different now, my Mom cooked with lard, and my heart cath showed no stintable blockage, and folks died of heart attacks back then too.
                        John 3:3

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Why is it so cold? I'll explain. First, you must understand the rotisserie conglomerate of cold air that expeditiously propels algid fronts in to areas not acclimated to such bone-chilling affects. Once the disturbance manifests itself in a section of the terrain it becomes more angry because it's forced to keep moving. It begins to huff and puff and, being as there is no steam to let off it thinks it's so cool it gets an icy air to itself. The end result is a reasonable facsimile to global warming. You're welcome. Just trying to be a blessing.
                          John 3:3

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I was all for schools being closed.

                            But, of course, things have changed. Our children have grown accustomed to comfort, inside activities, and convenience. We live in all season climate controlled homes, with activities that center around staying inside (TVs with lots of channels, video games, internet, etc), families with at least two cars to drive us where we want to go. My world was very different.
                            Last edited by capcat; 01-30-2019, 06:17 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by capcat View Post
                              I was all for schools being closed.

                              But, of course, things have changed. Our children have grown accustomed to comfort, inside activities, and convenience. We live in all season climate controlled homes, with activities that center around staying inside (TVs with lots of channels, video games, internet, etc), families with at least two cars to drive us where we want to go. My world was very different.
                              Exactly, capcat, per my post #21.
                              Life Comes At You Fast

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by capcat View Post
                                I was all for schools being closed.

                                But, of course, things have changed. Our children have grown accustomed to comfort, inside activities, and convenience. We live in all season climate controlled homes, with activities that center around staying inside (TVs with lots of channels, video games, internet, etc), families with at least two cars to drive us where we want to go. My world was very different.
                                Right on capcat. Kids don't walk to catch the bus anymore like we did. Parents even drive them to the end of the driveway and wait until the bus comes. It's very comfortable, but I'm not so sure it's for the best.
                                John 3:3

                                Comment

                                Weather

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X