No announcement yet.

Weather

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try to get 3-4 daily walks in of 10-15 minute duration. Ventured out 3 times yesterday, 15 minutes each time. Temps were -1 to 3 degrees. Properly bundled and you don't really notice it, but I like cold weather better than hot, especially working outside. Surveyed at Bernheim Forest one day when the high was 9 degrees. Surveying when it's 90+ creates short tempers and arguments, lol.
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

It's not lost on me that all of us in here are posting from internet connected devices in climate controlled buildings complaining about people being too cold, lol. I worked from home yesterday but in general I don't mind colder weather. I sleep better in the winter when it's easier to keep my house cool.

I remember growing up when it would get cold (just run of the mill cold) and some kids in my class would come to school dressed pretty inappropriately for the cold. In hindsight, I realize it's probably because their parents couldn't afford to buy them the kind of clothes you need to make winter bearable, especially in Kentucky where this kind of cold doesn't happen very often. So in that sense, I don't mind schools calling off classes because of this. This kind of stuff is pretty dangerous if you're ill equipped.

I do sort of agree that as a society we are less in adaptable with nature than we should be. I want to make sure my son appreciates the outdoors in all environments. I sort of agree spending all our time indoors makes people less adaptable to the more extreme temperatures, and staying indoors for an entire season isn't good for your mental well being. Plus, winter can be pretty gorgeous in its own right.

Comment

I agree!
        John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
          It's not lost on me that all of us in here are posting from internet connected devices in climate controlled buildings complaining about people being too cold, lol. I worked from home yesterday but in general I don't mind colder weather. I sleep better in the winter when it's easier to keep my house cool.

I remember growing up when it would get cold (just run of the mill cold) and some kids in my class would come to school dressed pretty inappropriately for the cold. In hindsight, I realize it's probably because their parents couldn't afford to buy them the kind of clothes you need to make winter bearable, especially in Kentucky where this kind of cold doesn't happen very often. So in that sense, I don't mind schools calling off classes because of this. This kind of stuff is pretty dangerous if you're ill equipped.

I do sort of agree that as a society we are less in adaptable with nature than we should be. I want to make sure my son appreciates the outdoors in all environments. I sort of agree spending all our time indoors makes people less adaptable to the more extreme temperatures, and staying indoors for an entire season isn't good for your mental well being. Plus, winter can be pretty gorgeous in its own right.
          I like to hike in the winter. You can see more with the trees being bare.
          No man is a failure who has friends

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post

As do I, but my wife hates it and I don't get to go as much anymore. When I was in college at UK we used to go to the Red River Gorge year round. Nothing gets the old lungs burning like a hike back up Gray's Arch in 20 degree temperatures.

I long to move back to Lexington where the RRG is a 45 minute drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post

I like hitting Bernheim Forest when there's snow, but if there's more than an inch and it's freezing, they either close the whole place, or close Forest Hill Road. The trails off of Forest Hill Road have the best vistas, next to the trail off Guerilla Hollow Road.
              I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Weather

Collapse
              Working...
              X