Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surveyor
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post

I like to hike in the winter. You can see more with the trees being bare.
    I like hitting Bernheim Forest when there's snow, but if there's more than an inch and it's freezing, they either close the whole place, or close Forest Hill Road. The trails off of Forest Hill Road have the best vistas, next to the trail off Guerilla Hollow Road.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight Schrute
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post

As do I, but my wife hates it and I don't get to go as much anymore. When I was in college at UK we used to go to the Red River Gorge year round. Nothing gets the old lungs burning like a hike back up Gray's Arch in 20 degree temperatures.

I long to move back to Lexington where the RRG is a 45 minute drive.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Heaven
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
    It's not lost on me that all of us in here are posting from internet connected devices in climate controlled buildings complaining about people being too cold, lol. I worked from home yesterday but in general I don't mind colder weather. I sleep better in the winter when it's easier to keep my house cool.

I remember growing up when it would get cold (just run of the mill cold) and some kids in my class would come to school dressed pretty inappropriately for the cold. In hindsight, I realize it's probably because their parents couldn't afford to buy them the kind of clothes you need to make winter bearable, especially in Kentucky where this kind of cold doesn't happen very often. So in that sense, I don't mind schools calling off classes because of this. This kind of stuff is pretty dangerous if you're ill equipped.

I do sort of agree that as a society we are less in adaptable with nature than we should be. I want to make sure my son appreciates the outdoors in all environments. I sort of agree spending all our time indoors makes people less adaptable to the more extreme temperatures, and staying indoors for an entire season isn't good for your mental well being. Plus, winter can be pretty gorgeous in its own right.

Leave a comment:

• Lighthouse
    replied
    I agree!

Leave a comment:

• Dwight Schrute
    replied
    It's not lost on me that all of us in here are posting from internet connected devices in climate controlled buildings complaining about people being too cold, lol. I worked from home yesterday but in general I don't mind colder weather. I sleep better in the winter when it's easier to keep my house cool.

I remember growing up when it would get cold (just run of the mill cold) and some kids in my class would come to school dressed pretty inappropriately for the cold. In hindsight, I realize it's probably because their parents couldn't afford to buy them the kind of clothes you need to make winter bearable, especially in Kentucky where this kind of cold doesn't happen very often. So in that sense, I don't mind schools calling off classes because of this. This kind of stuff is pretty dangerous if you're ill equipped.

I do sort of agree that as a society we are less in adaptable with nature than we should be. I want to make sure my son appreciates the outdoors in all environments. I sort of agree spending all our time indoors makes people less adaptable to the more extreme temperatures, and staying indoors for an entire season isn't good for your mental well being. Plus, winter can be pretty gorgeous in its own right.

Leave a comment:

• surveyor
    replied
    I try to get 3-4 daily walks in of 10-15 minute duration. Ventured out 3 times yesterday, 15 minutes each time. Temps were -1 to 3 degrees. Properly bundled and you don't really notice it, but I like cold weather better than hot, especially working outside. Surveyed at Bernheim Forest one day when the high was 9 degrees. Surveying when it's 90+ creates short tempers and arguments, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Lighthouse
    replied
    Originally posted by capcat View Post
    I was all for schools being closed.

But, of course, things have changed. Our children have grown accustomed to comfort, inside activities, and convenience. We live in all season climate controlled homes, with activities that center around staying inside (TVs with lots of channels, video games, internet, etc), families with at least two cars to drive us where we want to go. My world was very different.
    Right on capcat. Kids don't walk to catch the bus anymore like we did. Parents even drive them to the end of the driveway and wait until the bus comes. It's very comfortable, but I'm not so sure it's for the best.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Dillon
    replied
    Originally posted by capcat View Post

But, of course, things have changed. Our children have grown accustomed to comfort, inside activities, and convenience. We live in all season climate controlled homes, with activities that center around staying inside (TVs with lots of channels, video games, internet, etc), families with at least two cars to drive us where we want to go. My world was very different.
    Exactly, capcat, per my post #21.

Leave a comment:

• capcat
    replied

Last edited by capcat; 01-30-2019, 07:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lighthouse
    replied
    Why is it so cold? I'll explain. First, you must understand the rotisserie conglomerate of cold air that expeditiously propels algid fronts in to areas not acclimated to such bone-chilling affects. Once the disturbance manifests itself in a section of the terrain it becomes more angry because it's forced to keep moving. It begins to huff and puff and, being as there is no steam to let off it thinks it's so cool it gets an icy air to itself. The end result is a reasonable facsimile to global warming. You're welcome. Just trying to be a blessing.

Leave a comment:

• Lighthouse
    replied

For a whole host of reasons, 2019 is a lot different than the 1950's and 60's. Dangers exist now that didn't exist back then. We also used to not put kids in car seats, and I used to ride in the front seat of my parents car when I was 8. Kids aren't wimps now because we've figured out that was extremely dangerous.
    Cold isn't a new thing, but the way we approach and treat it is. I'm 76 and I certainly can't handle it like I used to, but my grandkids could if they had to. I'm glad they don't, but I disagree with calling off school because of cold, and that's OK. Now heavy snow or ice is another thing. As for things being different now, my Mom cooked with lard, and my heart cath showed no stintable blockage, and folks died of heart attacks back then too.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Heaven
    replied
    If you must be out in this make sure you layer up. It's colder now than it was last night. I didn't get cold last night but saw WAY too many that were because they think the form fitting clothing they always wear would work in this cold. In a nice way I scolded a crew mate of mine because he kept talking about how good he would be because he had his tight flannel jeans on and his form fitting carharrts over that. I knew he would be toast and he was then he starts getting all angry about it. Layer up loosely and wear mittens and wear one pair of socks with some good boots. Wear ZERO cotton. Sweat is your enemy in the cold. After 30 years he still hasn't learned his lesson. Was rather funny because he's the Mr. Perfect guy on the crew. I was chuckling inside.
    Last edited by Blue Heaven; 01-30-2019, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Heaven
    replied

For a whole host of reasons, 2019 is a lot different than the 1950's and 60's. Dangers exist now that didn't exist back then. We also used to not put kids in car seats, and I used to ride in the front seat of my parents car when I was 8. Kids aren't wimps now because we've figured out that was extremely dangerous.
    Yep. My Sister and I rolled around in the back seats and floorboards.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight Schrute
    replied
    Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

I'm not saying kids are wimps today mainly because we parents and gtandparents have made them the way they are. Now this was a long time ago but the truth just the same. I remember in very cold and snowy weather, not knowing whether school was in or not. We walked about a half mile to catch the bus, wait to see if it came, and if it didn't walk back home with no place to warm up in between.

Leave a comment:

• Lighthouse
    replied
    It happened up here a few years ago when it was similarly cold. It snowed a half inch or so last night, but where it's so cold and the salt trucks are pretty ineffective in these temperatures, the roads were a nightmare this morning. I dropped my son off at daycare and came back home to work.

There's some real subtweeting going on here but anyone that says kids are wimps for not going to school in this weather should go stand outside at 6:30 am to wait for the bus for 30 minutes.
    I'm not saying kids are wimps today mainly because we parents and gtandparents have made them the way they are. Now this was a long time ago but the truth just the same. I remember in very cold and snowy weather, not knowing whether school was in or not. We walked about a half mile to catch the bus, wait to see if it came, and if it didn't walk back home with no place to warm up in between.

Leave a comment:

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Weather

Collapse
Working...
X