Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dwight Schrute
    • Oct 2014

Kentucky Bourbon thread

Somewhere on the General Discussion board is a craft beer thread, but I thought I'd start a bourbon thread to discuss bourbons of note, any new ones we've tried, etc.

I bought a bottle of Eagle Rare over the weekend that I cracked open last night (first time I've had it as I've only seen it in internet reviews). I like it, it's very similar (to me at least) to Buffalo Trace but it finishes a bit hotter despite being the same proof as BT (which is my favorite for the money).

In general, the bourbon industry is insane and prices, especially on the secondary market, are approaching ridiculousness. A friend of mine saw Old Weller Special Reserve, normally retailing for about $30, go for $250 on facebook.
  • Spiritof96
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute
    Somewhere on the General Discussion board is a craft beer thread, but I thought I'd start a bourbon thread to discuss bourbons of note, any new ones we've tried, etc.

I bought a bottle of Eagle Rare over the weekend that I cracked open last night (first time I've had it as I've only seen it in internet reviews). I like it, it's very similar (to me at least) to Buffalo Trace but it finishes a bit hotter despite being the same proof as BT (which is my favorite for the money).

In general, the bourbon industry is insane and prices, especially on the secondary market, are approaching ridiculousness. A friend of mine saw Old Weller Special Reserve, normally retailing for about $30, go for $250 on facebook.
    I like Eagle Rare quite a bit. That makes sense given that of all the big bourbon names I prefer Buffalo Trace. If you add a small amount of water to each to bring the proof below 80, say 76, the flavors of each separate a bit more and Eagle Rare pulls away. (IMO anyway)

I really like Maker's Mark 46. Far more than regular MM. The extra rye smooths it out for straight sipping. I do not love any Woodford Reserve offering.

While not a Bourbon, I find Rittenhouse Rye stands up very well in a cocktail and is my go-to whiskey in an old fashioned.
    Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
    He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
    Originally posted by Robert “Hoot” Gibson
    No matter how bad things may seem, you can always make them worse.
    RIP: Charlie Munger

Comment

• CATHYnKY
      • Oct 2014

My hubby buys a lot of Four Roses Yellow label. When we visited the distillery they do a blind tasting of their bourbons. Surprisingly we both liked the same one and it was the yellow label. For Christmas I gave him a bottle of Eagle Rare. He had it at a Christmas party we went to and liked it.

Comment

• Dwight Schrute
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Spiritof96

I like Eagle Rare quite a bit. That makes sense given that of all the big bourbon names I prefer Buffalo Trace. If you add a small amount of water to each to bring the proof below 80, say 76, the flavors of each separate a bit more and Eagle Rare pulls away. (IMO anyway)

I really like Maker's Mark 46. Far more than regular MM. The extra rye smooths it out for straight sipping. I do not love any Woodford Reserve offering.

While not a Bourbon, I find Rittenhouse Rye stands up very well in a cocktail and is my go-to whiskey in an old fashioned.
        Me too. I just find they produce most of the bourbons I really like. I'm really wanting to try their EH Taylor line but I've yet to see it in a store. I've still yet to taste a bourbon I like more than Blanton's, but it's pricier and is tough to find also. In general, the Buffalo Trace bourbons seem to be victims of an artificial scarcity. I went to Total Wine in Lexington Saturday night before the game and BT was on a one per customer basis.

I love Rye whiskey - I like the spice it adds to mute the sweetness. I also like bourbons with higher rye counts. I haven't tried Rittenhouse, but I have tried Pikesville and it's very good.

Comment

• Matt Dillon
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2014

I don't drink a lot of Bourbon (I'm a Scotch guy). Of all the Bourbons I've tried, Woodford Reserve is my favorite. For the money, though, I like Four Roses Single Barrel.
          Walk a mile in my shoes, Walk a mile in my shoes, Hey, before you abuse
          Criticize and accuse, Walk a mile in my shoes - Lyrics from the song "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" by Joe South

Comment

• Dwight Schrute
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Matt Dillon
            I don't drink a lot of Bourbon (I'm a Scotch guy). Of all the Bourbons I've tried, Woodford Reserve is my favorite. For the money, though, I like Four Roses Single Barrel.
            Four Roses single barrel is quite good. I don't love the other Four Roses offerings, but the Single Barrel is quite good, especially for the money.

Comment

• Spiritof96
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Matt Dillon
              I have wanted to try Four Roses, but haven't. Scotch monopolizes my limited drinking occasions as well.
              Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
              He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
              Originally posted by Robert “Hoot” Gibson
              No matter how bad things may seem, you can always make them worse.
              RIP: Charlie Munger

Comment

• surveyor
                Administrator
                • Oct 2014

Most of the bourbons I've had I enjoy the flavor. There are a few of those that I cannot drink despite the flavor. I get a headache the following morning with Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams black label, Wathens and the now defunct Willie Nelson's Whisky River. I drink all with either a cube of ice, or a splash of water - no mixers or sodas, thus, no explanation for the headaches.

Routinely kept on our bar in a rotation of any 5 or 6:

Knob Creek
                Eagle Rare
                Woodford Reserve (all, including Rye whisky)
                Wild Turkey 101
                Four Roses (all of em)
                Evan Williams 12 year old Single Barrel
                Makers Mark
                Makers 46
                Blantons
                Pappy Van Winkle 10 and 12 year old
                Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

• Dwight Schrute
                  • Oct 2014

How are you routinely getting any of the Van Winkles?

Comment

• surveyor
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute
                    How are you routinely getting any of the Van Winkles?
                    It's a rotation of 5 or 6 bourbons. The Van Winkle I still have was purchased a while back - maybe a year or so. Understandably, I don't drink it as frequently as the others.
                    Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

• Dwight Schrute
                      • Oct 2014

I really want to try some of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection lineup, in particular George T. Stagg. I had Stagg Jr once (~126 proof) and liked the burn. The full Stagg is even higher proof and aged 15 years. The 2015 release was an insane 144 proof. I'd like to try it, though I'm not sure I'd want a full bottle.

Comment

• Dwight Schrute
                        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by surveyor

It's a rotation of 5 or 6 bourbons. The Van Winkle I still have was purchased a while back - maybe a year or so. Understandably, I don't drink it as frequently as the others.
                        Ah, understandable. I'm holding on to the Blanton's I have for the same reason that it's near impossible to find up here, which is insane.

Comment

• surveyor
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 2014

Doh. Correction. It's Old Rip Van Winkle.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

• Dwight Schrute
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by surveyor
                            Doh. Correction. It's Old Rip Van Winkle.
                            I wasn't gonna be THAT guy that says anything.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Kentucky Bourbon thread

Collapse
                            Working...