Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

ESPN's 40th Birthday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN's 40th Birthday.

In September ESPN will celebrate it's 40th year in the TV sports business. Most folks don't remember when ESPN started or certainly not their first live broadcast. It was a Professional Softball game between the Kentucky Bourbons and the Milwaukee Schlitz in Milwaukee. I was the manager of the Bourbons and we won that game. Johnny Blanchard, NY Yankees, interviewed me prior to the game, he was the play by play announcer. Of course at that time we had no idea who ESPN was or that it would grow to be what it is today.

Earlier this month ESPN sent a crew here to Louisville and interviewed me and 3 of the players and we will be a part of their 40th celebration. The players, Bill Gatti, Cobbie Harrison and Don Riordan. Riordan got the first hit ever on ESPN. As far as we know, this will be shown first on the E-60 show at 10AM August 25th, but will be on Sportscenter in September. Hope you will tune in.
    John 3:3

I don't watch much tv, but I hope to see it Lighthouse. I remember when ESPN first aired, and for years afterwards, they mostly had stuff on there that wouldn't even be considered minor sports by most people (myself included). I remember thinking, if their programming doesn't change, they won't last long. Well, it did and they have.
    Life Comes At You Fast

Comment

When I first heard there was going to be a new station that featured sports 24/7 I thought it was a joke .

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
        When I first heard there was going to be a new station that featured sports 24/7 I thought it was a joke .
        Yep. Though they changed their "model" and got WAY TOO political for a bit they are going back to the way they were. It's a good thing too as I was about all done with ESPN. I don't feel so guilty for watching now, especially since they got rid of that racist Jamele Hill.
        Isaiah 5:20

Comment

I got a text from Simon at ESPN and the first showing won't be until sometime in early September.

Comment

Keep us posted Steve.

Comment

I will. They have changed our part to a 30 minute special and from what I understand it will be on ESPN and not E-60. Maybe around Sept. 10th.

Comment

OK, I finally think I have the date and time correct for the Special on ESPN's first ever telecast.

It is a part of the E-60 Show, and it will air tomorrow, Sept 10th, at 7 PM. It will be the the 2nd half of the E-60 show.

Comment

I remember being at Otter Creek tavern back in the mid-80s and programming on a Friday night was - I swear to God - a Marble tournament.
                  I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by surveyor View Post
                    I remember being at Otter Creek tavern back in the mid-80s and programming on a Friday night was - I swear to God - a Marble tournament.
                    Yeah they used to have a lot of obscure sports on back in the day. Sports you would see on The Ocho now.

Comment

If I remember correctly, curling was a staple.
                      Life Comes At You Fast

Comment

Was listening to a national sports talk radio show on the way to work tonight and they were talking about that game, Steve. They had Gatti on and he said sometime later this month they will air an extended version of E60 about that game. I forgot to record it the other night but they always re-air them.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
                          Was listening to a national sports talk radio show on the way to work tonight and they were talking about that game, Steve. They had Gatti on and he said sometime later this month they will air an extended version of E60 about that game. I forgot to record it the other night but they always re-air them.
                          I recorded it, but this time the show was more about how ESPN lost the tape of game one. They have found it now.

Comment

Originally posted by surveyor View Post
                            Big crowd?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post

Big crowd?
                              lol, well, it was somewhat crowded, but not because of what was on teevee. Teevee was over in the pool table area, so it was essentially background noise.
                              I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

ESPN's 40th Birthday.

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X