X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean Connery

Dies at the age of 90.

My first memory of James Bond.

I hate to hear that. I'm a Bond phile and Sean and Timothy Dalton were my favorite Bonds.
    "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

RIP 007

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
        I hate to hear that. I'm a Bond phile and Sean and Timothy Dalton were my favorite Bonds.
        I'm Lazenby forever.

Still, I loved Connery's Bond. When imagining Bond in my head, I see Connery.
        Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
        He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
        Originally posted by Charlie Munger
        I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824

Many great write-ups and tributes to Connery.

Connery was my first introduction to James Bond and forever in my mind epitomized what Bond was - Daniel Craig was said to have captured more closely what Fleming wanted Bond to be, but to me Connery was the only Bond.
          Roger Moore's Bond was entertaining, but always came across as a wealthy playboy whose hobby was spying. Connery was the opposite.

Ironically, Connery grew up in the slums of Edinburgh and ended up playing Bond, who was born in a wealthy family.

I recall an online movie reviewer years ago who listed his top 10 worst character accents, and listed Connery's Irish Jim Malone in "The Untouchables" among that 10. The guy got raked over the coals in subsequent comments.
          Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by surveyor View Post
            Daniel Craig was said to have captured more closely what Fleming wanted Bond to be, but to me Connery was the only Bond.
            I have heard that said a lot, but as a Bond book reader, I don't see that at all. Especially the early films.
            Aspirational...

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
            I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

"Losers whine about doing their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen."

RIP to a bastion of masculinity.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

I have heard that said a lot, but as a Bond book reader, I don't see that at all. Especially the early films.
                Did you see the films before you started reading the books? That always shades my mental picture.

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

Did you see the films before you started reading the books? That always shades my mental picture.
                  I read the first Bond book after watching the first Craig Bond movie (and having grown up watching all the others) and on from there. Craig is fine, but I'm not in love with any of those movies after the first one. They take the character from early career to burnout to return pretty quickly. Stupid quickly.

IMO, the need to have serial fiction characters die, quit, burnout to tell an interesting stroy refelcts a failure to understand the genere and a failure of storytelling chops.
                  Aspirational...

Comment

I always read that Fleming was appalled when he was first introduced to Connery, but grew to like him....especially when the Bond franchise started rolling.

Comment

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824

Connery was my first introduction to James Bond and forever in my mind epitomized what Bond was - Daniel Craig was said to have captured more closely what Fleming wanted Bond to be, but to me Connery was the only Bond.
                      Roger Moore's Bond was entertaining, but always came across as a wealthy playboy whose hobby was spying. Connery was the opposite.
                      I agree. I was never a big fan of Roger Moore.
                      "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Who bond was supposed to look like according to Flemming.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hoagland-howard-hoagy-carmichael-circa-1946-composer-pianist-singer-M3MMA4.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	245829
                        Aspirational...

Comment

Slender guy with a big head.

I recall that Carmichael was the ideal, but, nah.
                          Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

Slender guy with a big head.

I recall that Carmichael was the ideal, but, nah.
                            It was his face more than his build. He doesn't look disssimilar to Connery in the face.
                            Aspirational...

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Sean Connery

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X