Golden Ray Cargo Ship Recovery - St. Simon's Island, GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Ray Cargo Ship Recovery - St. Simon's Island, GA

A Chain Just Cut Through A Capsized Cargo Ship Filled With Cars And The Process Is Fascinating

We were in Georgia to visit my niece and her husband in late September-early October. They live south of Savannah and are former military employed as civilians at Ft. Stewart. We took a trip to St. Simon's Island and the story of this cargo ship is fascinating. It capsized in September of 2019 with over 4,000 vehicles on board. The reason it capsized is under investigation, but speculation is that the vehicles were improperly loaded and a lower loading door was left open, allowing it to take on water.

When we were there they had already affixed the lifting lugs to the exposed side of the boat. I would have loved to have been there and watched the salvage operation with this rig.

Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

That is amazing.

I love large scale feats of engineering.

I have been surfing in Fernandina. Home of the crane, lifter thingy.
    Last edited by Spiritof96; 12-04-2020, 02:09 PM.
    Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
    He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
    Originally posted by Charlie Munger
    I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
      That is amazing.

I love large scale feats of engineering.

I have been surfing in Fernandina. Home of the crane, lifter thingy.
      I was surprised at how little head room there is on each floor for parking the vehicles. Too bad for those who are claustrophobic.
      Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

Those pesky loading doors. Always making problems.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Golden Ray Cargo Ship Recovery - St. Simon's Island, GA

Collapse
        Working...
        X