Ice storm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
    ^ Definitely. I have a 2 door jeep and it came with BFGoodrich tires on it, and I have to say so far they seem to do pretty well in the snow. I had never owned BFG tires before.
    Never had BFG. I exclusively use Coopers on our vehicles. The Cooper Discoverer ATs on my truck are beastly in snow and quiet enough on the highway. I love them.
    Isaiah 5:20

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
      I depend on WDRB for weather and news. Weinberg is very dramatic but they all seem to know what they're talking about.
      I really like Jude Redfield

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
        I depend on WDRB for weather and news. Weinberg is very dramatic but they all seem to know what they're talking about.
        I remember Weinberg back when we had our last big snow. 2015ish? Anyways, I remember him saying he didn't need all these fancy gadgets and maps to tell him we were getting snow. He called for a dusting and we got around 13" here in town, lol. It's not a perfect science but an educated guess. Even the beloved Tom Wills called for flurries in 94.

Comment

Yeah I remember that 94 storm. That was crazy! Weather forecasting is all probability based on atmospheric conditions and math. The problem with probabilistic models is that sometimes they go awry. If 10% of all planes crashed, nobody would ever get on a plane. But things with 10% chances are often treated as things that are virtually impossible.

In the Ohio Valley conditions have to line up just right to get big snows (they usually come from the southwestern plains). It makes snow forecasting difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
            Yeah I remember that 94 storm. That was crazy! Weather forecasting is all probability based on atmospheric conditions and math. The problem with probabilistic models is that sometimes they go awry. If 10% of all planes crashed, nobody would ever get on a plane. But things with 10% chances are often treated as things that are virtually impossible.

In the Ohio Valley conditions have to line up just right to get big snows (they usually come from the southwestern plains). It makes snow forecasting difficult.
            Locally Tom Wills was the only one to get close to the `94 storm. Outside of that the Weather Channel nailed it. I remember thunder waking me up about 3 am, Told wife we weren't going to work in the morning.
            Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by surveyor View Post

Locally Tom Wills was the only one to get close to the `94 storm. Outside of that the Weather Channel nailed it. I remember thunder waking me up about 3 am, Told wife we weren't going to work in the morning.
              An aside, we were going to Florida when I was a kid and stopped at McDonald’s in Alabama somewhere for lunch. I noticed the man in the line next to me was Tom Wills and I struck up a conversation and asked him about the weather. He was such a kind man to me, I remember him asking about us and where we were going and not seeming at all disinterested in chatting with us.

I was always a John Belski fan growing up. When I was 5 we were at church and a tornado hit and we all had to go to the racquetball courts. After that for a long time I was simultaneously nervous about and I’ve had an interest in it ever since. I always appreciated Belski’s manner of not over hyping the weather and just stating the facts calmly and plainly.

Comment

It's coming down now.....and more later on this afternoon into toinght

Comment

Originally posted by TrueblueCATfan View Post
                  It's coming down now.....and more later on this afternoon into toinght
                  I gotta drive in this crap tonight for work. Plus I work outside so it's a double whammy . Was at Troutmans in Shepherdsville yesterday getting some new work boots and that place was a madhouse. Most people looking for bibs or just cold/snow gear in general. People freak out more now than they used to. There have been worse snows with less attention around these parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post

I gotta drive in this crap tonight for work. Plus I work outside so it's a double whammy . Was at Troutmans in Shepherdsville yesterday getting some new work boots and that place was a madhouse. Most people looking for bibs or just cold/snow gear in general. People freak out more now than they used to. There have been worse snows with less attention around these parts.
                    So does My husband....he works in New Albany unless his company closes he plans on going in

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post

People freak out more now than they used to. There have been worse snows with less attention around these parts.
                      My wife and I were talking about this a few minutes ago. Back in the 50's, 60's and early to mid 70's winters, around here, were a lot worse than they are now. Also, there wasn't FWD and AWD. With the exception of logging trucks, and an occasional surplus Army jeep someone had managed to get their hands on, everything else was rear wheel drive. You'd just throw some weight in the trunk of your car or the bed of your pickup and take off. Most people, in their 40's and younger, that have lived in Ky. all their lives don't know how to drive on slick roads.

"There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post

My wife and I were talking about this a few minutes ago. Back in the 50's, 60's and early to mid 70's winters, around here, were a lot worse than they are now. Also, there wasn't FWD and AWD. With the exception of logging trucks, and an occasional surplus Army jeep someone had managed to get their hands on, everything else was rear wheel drive. You'd just throw some weight in the trunk of your car or the bed of your pickup and take off. Most people, in their 40's and younger, that have lived in Ky. all their lives don't know how to drive on slick roads.
                        I can count on 2 hands the number of 6”+ snows we’ve had in my 38 years on the planet (that I recall at least). Climate shifts have moved the snow lines north and mean we get more ice around here. We’ve had 3 bad ice storms in 20 years but only 2 what I would call major snow storms.

The other is that we’ve gotten worlds better at treating roads.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post

Yeah, we had snow tires or mud grips and chains. And you're right, young folks have no idea how to drive in this stuff.
                          John 3:3

Comment

Experienced drivers can get by in this stuff. It's not my driving I am worried about. It's all those idiots on the roads with me. Just got back from driving around. It's not bad yet but it will be if this sleet/freezing rain continues. Been pounding sleet here and had an instance of freezing rain.

Comment

No offense to you old folks but I am not convinced that as a group, you all are any better.

Comment

Made it to good old SE Ohio for my week of work. Was happy to drive in the daylight because as suspected my headlights were frozen over pretty thoroughly, and as such I would not have had as much light as I like to have. It's just sleet here, still. I was hoping for some snow but current forecast makes it seem like it will be more of the "wintry mix".

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Ice storm?

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X