No announcement yet.

Ice storm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will take it Matt. Glad this storm busted in this area.
    Isaiah 5:20

Comment

We were w/o electricity from about 11:30 last night until just before 5:00 this morning. I'm so grateful to the Jackson County RECC employees who worked all night, under those extremely adverse conditions, to get the electric back on. God bless you all.
      "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

One of my neighbors is out with his snow machine clearing driveways. He's got a deluxe 14 oz rib eye steak from my freezer headed his way

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
          One of my neighbors is out with his snow machine clearing driveways. He's got a deluxe 14 oz rib eye steak from my freezer headed his way
          I have one of those great neighbors too, Dave. Here’s to you, Joe 🍺 !!

Comment

The local station I watched at noon isn’t touching the next upcoming storm other to say it could be a wintry mix/snow event and to expect storm watches in the next couple of hours.

Comment

Texas is getting hammered. I wonder if capcat is w/o electricity?
              "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                No offense to you old folks but I am not convinced that as a group, you all are any better.
                Could be, but we didn't have all the extras vehicles have now. We drove with rear wheel drive, mud grip tires and chains. Of course one advantage we had was a stick shift.
                John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
                  Made it to good old SE Ohio for my week of work. Was happy to drive in the daylight because as suspected my headlights were frozen over pretty thoroughly, and as such I would not have had as much light as I like to have. It's just sleet here, still. I was hoping for some snow but current forecast makes it seem like it will be more of the "wintry mix".
                  Glad you made it safe Matt. Did you take the Mountain Parkway from Prestonsburg?

Comment

No, I take US 23 up to Ironton and then state route 93 to Jackson, OH.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

Could be, but we didn't have all the extras vehicles have now. We drove with rear wheel drive, mud grip tires and chains. Of course one advantage we had was a stick shift.
                      No doubt vehicles today are much better. But so are road crews. That's the biggest advantage of today versus 30-40 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
                        Texas is getting hammered. I wonder if capcat is w/o electricity?
                        Thanks for the thought, Matt. Yes, but it came back on about an hour ago after 36 hours without. Been a miserable time. We have more to come, but our outage was due to the power company removing our area from the load so they could serve other areas, such as those with hospitals.

Comment

No doubt vehicles today are much better. But so are road crews. That's the biggest advantage of today versus 30-40 years ago.
                          True. We didn't know what a road crew was out it the country in Hopkins County. We lived on a dirt road of a gravel road, so I got some practice on those, especially the gravel.

Last edited by Lighthouse; 02-16-2021, 06:24 PM.

Comment

An aside, we were going to Florida when I was a kid and stopped at McDonald’s in Alabama somewhere for lunch. I noticed the man in the line next to me was Tom Wills and I struck up a conversation and asked him about the weather. He was such a kind man to me, I remember him asking about us and where we were going and not seeming at all disinterested in chatting with us.

I was always a John Belski fan growing up. When I was 5 we were at church and a tornado hit and we all had to go to the racquetball courts. After that for a long time I was simultaneously nervous about and I’ve had an interest in it ever since. I always appreciated Belski’s manner of not over hyping the weather and just stating the facts calmly and plainly.
                            WIlls is the earliest "actual" meteorologist I remember. WHAS 11 seemed to always have on-air staff "reading" the weather. I remember Ray Shelton providing weather updates during the `74 tornados. Milton Metz often did the weather at night on WHAS. I don't believe either were meteorologists.
                            Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

No offense to you old folks but I am not convinced that as a group, you all are any better.
                              Agreed. Everyone thinks the other guy is the problem.
                              Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
                                Shoveled 3-inches of ice/snow from my drive and my mother-in-law's drive yesterday. Took me about 2.5 hours. A neighbor has a Ford tractor with a frontloader and grader box attachment. He was working on his drive and stopped by to ask if I needed mine cleared. Told him I needed the exercise but I appreciated the offer. He went back to clearing his, but I think he's still getting acclimated to the tractor because it took him a really long time. I was 3/4 finished when he finished his.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Ice storm?

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X