• Rush Limbaugh

Dead at the age of 70.
    Rest in Peace

Nah.

Comment

So Sad.....RIP Rush....a true American

Comment

Talk Host Joe Walsh on Rush Limbaugh
        Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

Rush Limbaugh dying isn't sad. I'm not celebrating his death because I'm not that kind of person, but he wasn't a true American. He was a lying, race baiting a-hole who spoke to other people wanting to hear racial grievances.

Comment

The unfortunate thing is outside of his radio persona he seemed to be a nice guy and well-liked. Despite his early years mocking gays who died of AIDS, he and his wife invited Elton John to his perform at his wedding and paid him $1 million, which John donated some, if not all, to AIDS research. I'm not sure how someone like this can be one persona on radio and another outside of it. The video of his on-air mocking of Michael J. Fox's disability and insisting it wasn't real and an act is unfortunate and surely for ratings. I believe he later apologized for it.
            Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by surveyor View Post
              The unfortunate thing is outside of his radio persona he seemed to be a nice guy and well-liked. Despite his early years mocking gays who died of AIDS, he and his wife invited Elton John to his perform at his wedding and paid him $1 million, which John donated some, if not all, to AIDS research. I'm not sure how someone like this can be one persona on radio and another outside of it. The video of his on-air mocking of Michael J. Fox's disability and insisting it wasn't real and an act is unfortunate and surely for ratings. I believe he later apologized for it.
              Maybe he was privately a good guy, but his public personna was that of putting toxicity into the world - it was a deliberate choice he made.

Comment

He made a choice to monetize hate and division.

No loss.
                Last edited by KCKUKFan; 02-18-2021, 11:49 AM.

Comment

When anybody dies, it's a loss. Just because someone doesn't believe like you doesn't make them bad, it just make them different and that's ok. Nowadays, the word racist is tossed around way to much, and in my life I don't see it because we all were created by the same God and in His Eyes, we're all alike and should be treated as such.
                  John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                    When anybody dies, it's a loss. Just because someone doesn't believe like you doesn't make them bad, it just make them different and that's ok. Nowadays, the word racist is tossed around way to much, and in my life I don't see it because we all were created by the same God and in His Eyes, we're all alike and should be treated as such.
                    He believed it was okay to make fun of people who died of AIDS in a weekly segment on his radio show. That isn’t “different.” It’s objectively evil.

Comment

You forgot that this is 2021 and hate is perfectly ok if it is directed towards “evil” no matter how loosely defined.

I didn’t care for Rush and I think his bombast and periodic intellectual dishonesty disserved conservatives. Still the hyperbole that conflates being a loud mouth, mean spirited, jerk with evil... isn’t exactly the sort of thinking that is going to repair the divisiveness that we claim to not like.

Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                      He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                      Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                      I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

You forgot that this is 2021 and hate is perfectly ok if it is directed towards “evil” no matter how loosely defined.

Still the hyperbole that conflates being a loud mouth, mean spirited, jerk with evil... isn’t exactly the sort of thinking that is going to repair the divisiveness that we claim to not like.
                        Neither is your willingness to excuse divisive — and yes, evil — behavior for the sake of supporting your own beliefs.

Comment

I was listening to Rush one day and he was talking about race, and a black man called in. Guy said he'd been a fan of the show for years but that he wasn't going to listen anymore because he'd decided Rush was racist.

I can't even remember what Rush said exactly, but IIRC he was trying to be funny and shocking and it came off as nasty and stupid.

While the guy talked Rush was totally silent. When the caller hung up Rush seemed to be shaken.

I think Rush is one of these guys who found that he could say wild, shocking, and (yes) untrue things and make tons of money. I'm not sure that's evil but I think there have been real problems in our society because of the thing Rush helped create.

Comment

Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

Neither is your willingness to excuse divisive — and yes, evil — behavior for the sake of supporting your own beliefs.
                            Who have I excused? And what are my own beliefs that are being supported?

Are you gearing up for a strawman run?
                            Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                            He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                            Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                            I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

Limbaugh said things that many thought inexcusable.
                              many people do, myself included.
                              In my mind, the family and friends of the man, perhaps not the personality, deserve respect.
                              So, I reiterate...Rest in Peace.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Rush Limbaugh

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X