Rush Limbaugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I was listening to Rush one day and he was talking about race, and a black man called in. Guy said he'd been a fan of the show for years but that he wasn't going to listen anymore because he'd decided Rush was racist.

I can't even remember what Rush said exactly, but IIRC he was trying to be funny and shocking and it came off as nasty and stupid.

While the guy talked Rush was totally silent. When the caller hung up Rush seemed to be shaken.

I think Rush is one of these guys who found that he could say wild, shocking, and (yes) untrue things and make tons of money. I'm not sure that's evil but I think there have been real problems in our society because of the thing Rush helped create.
    The problems in our society have been created by none other than Satan himself, and he will continue to steal, kill and destroy until God says no more. At least that's what my Bible says. I'm in no way saying Rush didn't help it along and we're all guilty of that.

John 3:3

Comment

I was listening to Rush one day and he was talking about race, and a black man called in. Guy said he'd been a fan of the show for years but that he wasn't going to listen anymore because he'd decided Rush was racist.

I can't even remember what Rush said exactly, but IIRC he was trying to be funny and shocking and it came off as nasty and stupid.

While the guy talked Rush was totally silent. When the caller hung up Rush seemed to be shaken.

I think Rush is one of these guys who found that he could say wild, shocking, and (yes) untrue things and make tons of money. I'm not sure that's evil but I think there have been real problems in our society because of the thing Rush helped create.
      What particular problem in our society did Rush help create?

I'm willing to bet you can find an example of the same societal problem that pre-dates him.

None of this is a defense of things he did or said.
      Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
      He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
      Originally posted by Charlie Munger
      I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

What particular problem in our society did Rush help create?

I'm willing to bet you can find an example of the same societal problem that pre-dates him.
        I’m sure this is true but I’m not knowledgeable enough about the history of political radio to say. I know that a bunch of people over the years have credited Limbaugh with being a mentor. Pretty sure I saw Jim Rome say that once.

Whoever created it, the problem is saying zany stuff under the guise of truth and having this masquerade as something more than opinion. I believe it’s partisan, not “mainstream,” media that has changed America. Limbaugh wasn’t the first to do that but the jaw dropping ratings he got from it (and the ungodly money) is unique.

Comment

^^ He supposedly began this 30+ years ago. The money and ratings it got fed into the creation of the Fox News cycle, and on the opposite political tilt to MSNBC, and a shift later by CNN.
          driven by money.
          Limbaugh was no journalist. He was quick to turn on anyone that could get him hits...he was originally a staunch Guiliani backer, then turned on him when he was mayor.
          before his advent, "talk radio" was relegated to baseball and a few preachers. The success he had turned talk radio into the driving force, and personality over reason,
          fact twisted unrecognizably by opinion has become
          the standard.
          The fault is not entirely Limbaughs, but the willingness of some to take his schtick as Gospel rather than researching and reasoning themselves.

And it seems to continue.

Comment

I’m sure this is true but I’m not knowledgeable enough about the history of political radio to say. I know that a bunch of people over the years have credited Limbaugh with being a mentor. Pretty sure I saw Jim Rome say that once.

Whoever created it, the problem is saying zany stuff under the guise of truth and having this masquerade as something more than opinion. I believe it’s partisan, not “mainstream,” media that has changed America. Limbaugh wasn’t the first to do that but the jaw dropping ratings he got from it (and the ungodly money) is unique.
            Are you one of those people who thinks the NY Times is a non-partisan news outlet?

He was a pioneer in talk radio.Talk radio and "the new media" amplified the reach of political speech.

In the first decade of our nations existence we had people publishing essays (often playing loose with the facts) and publishing newspapers specifically to push their political agenda with zero disclosure to the reader. This isn't new. If you look at the tenor and rhetoric surrounding the Vietnam war in the 60s I think you will find plenty of zany things said under the guise of truth.

Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
            He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
            Originally posted by Charlie Munger
            I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

Political talk and hurtful rhetoric are not something new to these days, and it depends on personal belief on villany..even with hateful, hurtful words.
              A. Hamilton has been re-imagined a heroic firebrand...although he created the New York Post to annihilate others. There are some historians that point out the duel with Burr was finalized when Hamilton published a story that Burr was in an incestuous relationship with his daughter Theodora.

That is not saying Limbaugh has the genius of Hamilton, it's just pointing out his rhetoric was far from new or unusual.
              It was just electronic media...and radio at that.

Comment

It isn’t new but we have the technology now to amplify it more than at any time in human history.

Limbaugh may not have been a pioneer but his timing was really good.

The most glaring thing about Limbaugh though is that he was cruel (at least his radio persona was). To me that’s his legacy. You can get rich that way though, clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

Are you one of those people who thinks the NY Times is a non-partisan news outlet?
                  In the same way The Wall Street Journal is.

Limbaugh was on a different level entirely. Limbaugh saw the world as two starkly divided teams. In that world there’s no nuance, no gray. You see this all the time now but I have to think in the ‘70s and ‘80s, when he started, it was pretty novel.

He also was a genius about framing everyday behavior as political. I once heard him go on a five-minute rant about how parents putting their kids in timeout was liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

The problems in our society have been created by none other than Satan himself, and he will continue to steal, kill and destroy until God says no more. At least that's what my Bible says. I'm in no way saying Rush didn't help it along and we're all guilty of that.
                    Amen Steve! If you want unity you have to practice it.
                    Isaiah 5:20

Comment

Be careful people of who you put on a pesesdal, and of those you choose to tear down. It's pretty simple really.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post

Amen Steve! If you want unity you have to practice it.
                        “If you want unity you have to stand silently while people say and do awful things” is a bad take.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

“If you want unity you have to stand silently while people say and do awful things” is a bad take.
                          No it isn't. It's called "don't get caught up in all this bs that divides us". And the Lord wouldn't want it. He despises it because it breeds hate. Now I'm not the best person in the world but I truly believe in the golden rule. You know where I stand but never in my life would I rejoice the death of someone I don't agree with. As antiquated as you may think it is, we are all God's children. That's what I believe. If you don't then that's fine too. We can still get along.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post

No it isn't. It's called "don't get caught up in all this bs that divides us". And the Lord wouldn't want it. He despises it because it breeds hate. Now I'm not the best person in the world but I truly believe in the golden rule. You know where I stand but never in my life would I rejoice the death of someone I don't agree with. As antiquated as you may think it is, we are all God's children. That's what I believe. If you don't then that's fine too. We can still get along.
                            I don’t rejoice in anyone’s death either, but I’m not gonna eulogize Rush Limbaugh either. It’s not a matter of political disagreement, he said truly awful things and used his reach to tear people down and spread racial and social resentment. We shouldn’t respect that.

Comment

When anybody dies, it's a loss. Just because someone doesn't believe like you doesn't make them bad, it just make them different and that's ok. Nowadays, the word racist is tossed around way to much, and in my life I don't see it because we all were created by the same God and in His Eyes, we're all alike and should be treated as such.
                              I don't care that he doesn't "believe like me."

I do care that he used his nationally syndicated radio show to broadcast hatred, lies, misogyny, bigotry, racism and and division for forty years.

He doesn't deserve honor or respect just because he's dead.
                              Last edited by KCKUKFan; 02-20-2021, 07:32 AM.

Comment

We don't all peddle hatred and lies to the uninformed masses for the better part of four decades, in the sole interest of enriching ourselves, either.

Rush Limbaugh (or at least his on-air personality) was garbage, and he gets no respect from me.
                                Last edited by KCKUKFan; 02-20-2021, 07:32 AM.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Rush Limbaugh

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X