X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surveyor
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

It isn't that I "dislike" LZ, I think I just find listening to them to be a taxing slog. I appreciate what they are doing musically.

If you could somehow edit out Robert Plant and their mostly uninteresting lyrics, I think I would like them more. His vocals really get on my nerves.
    I understand. I couldn't listen to more than an album at one time. It IS sort of taxing, as you put it. Same with Van Halen. After an album or series of songs, it's like I've got to listen to something else to slow my senses down.

Leave a comment:

• Spiritof96
    replied
    Originally posted by surveyor View Post

I didn't really begin listening to Zeppelin until the year before Bonham died. There's not a track on Led Zeppelin I that I dislike. I enjoy most of the tracks on the first 4 albums.

Zeppelin IV I can listen to every track except for "Stairway to Heaven". Got burnt out on that one long ago because local rock stations played the fugg out of it.
    It isn't that I "dislike" LZ, I think I just find listening to them to be a taxing slog. I appreciate what they are doing musically.

If you could somehow edit out Robert Plant and their mostly uninteresting lyrics, I think I would like them more. His vocals really get on my nerves.

Leave a comment:

• surveyor
    replied

Zeplin I has the one smash single everyone likes but there isn't much else on that record that saw pop success. I try to like Led Zeppelin, but I just can't seem to get very far before, "ugh, I'm out". I queued up Black Sabbath and I absolutely understand the criticism. The long boring intros on several songs, high treble guitar tone, lyrics, and they do sound like they are ripping off Cream... I find that record tedious.
    I didn't really begin listening to Zeppelin until the year before Bonham died. There's not a track on Led Zeppelin I that I dislike. I enjoy most of the tracks on the first 4 albums.

Zeppelin IV I can listen to every track except for "Stairway to Heaven". Got burnt out on that one long ago because local rock stations played the fugg out of it.

Leave a comment:

• Spiritof96
    replied
    Originally posted by surveyor View Post
    I can understand the critics initial reactions with Zeppelin I, Black Sabbath's album and Ram.

Many weren't accustomed to the over the top vocals, drums and guitar. Zeppelin packed a whole lot of quality in the relatively small number of albums they produced.

I was never much of a Black Sabbath fan so I can't really speak to their music, but could see critics initial reaction to that album.

While I love the Beatles and some of McCartney's solo work, I was always underwhelmed by Wings, save for a few songs.
    Zeplin I has the one smash single everyone likes but there isn't much else on that record that saw pop success. I try to like Led Zeppelin, but I just can't seem to get very far before, "ugh, I'm out". I queued up Black Sabbath and I absolutely understand the criticism. The long boring intros on several songs, high treble guitar tone, lyrics, and they do sound like they are ripping off Cream... I find that record tedious.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    Pinkerton is on there.

When I first heard that album I thought it was the greatest thing I'd ever heard. It blew me away like few other albums have.

Also I hate, hate, Wings. Pure sappy trash.

Leave a comment:

• surveyor
    replied
    I can understand the critics initial reactions with Zeppelin I, Black Sabbath's album and Ram.

Many weren't accustomed to the over the top vocals, drums and guitar. Zeppelin packed a whole lot of quality in the relatively small number of albums they produced.

I was never much of a Black Sabbath fan so I can't really speak to their music, but could see critics initial reaction to that album.

While I love the Beatles and some of McCartney's solo work, I was always underwhelmed by Wings, save for a few songs.

Leave a comment:

• surveyor
    replied
    Interesting read.

I gotta say, with a few notable exceptions, I mostly agree with the critics. It was fun sitting here and cycling through each album to check though.

I had never heard of Gene Clark. I now love that album!
    Gene Clark was among those who were better known as song writers than singers. Ala Townes Van Zandt or Mickey Newbury. Good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Spiritof96
    replied
    Interesting read.

I gotta say, with a few notable exceptions, I mostly agree with the critics. It was fun sitting here and cycling through each album to check though.

I had never heard of Gene Clark. I now love that album!

Leave a comment:

• Matt Dillon
    started a topic 20 awesome albums that critics initially hated

20 awesome albums that critics initially hated

Music ahead of its time

Jan. 12 marks the 50th anniversary of the historic release of Led Zeppelin’s self-titled debut album, also known as “Led Zeppelin I.” Now ranked among the greatest rock records ever made, “Led Zeppelin” actually wasn’t initially received well by critics. However, as you’ll soon see, many now-iconic records also didn’t get the warm welcome you might have expected from critics. And back before anyone with an internet connection could be a published music writer, major publications held a lot of power, and a couple of bad reviews could really damage a band or artist (one reason why the list tends to skew older). With that, here are 20 awesome albums that critics initially hated.

20 awesome albums that critics initially hated (msn.com)

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

20 awesome albums that critics initially hated

Collapse
Working...
X