The 25 best live albums of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 25 best live albums of all time

Today's fans might not truly understand the love old-school music lovers have for the live album experience. If we can't get to a concert, this is the next best thing. Especially, in the 1970s and '80s, where live-recorded albums seemed to come out every week.

Still, these specific releases delivered some of the most memorable musical moments ever recorded. Here's a look at some of the best (in chronological order).

The 25 best live albums of all time (msn.com)
    "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    Today's fans might not truly understand the love old-school music lovers have for the live album experience. If we can't get to a concert, this is the next best thing. Especially, in the 1970s and '80s, where live-recorded albums seemed to come out every week.

Still, these specific releases delivered some of the most memorable musical moments ever recorded. Here's a look at some of the best (in chronological order).

The 25 best live albums of all time (msn.com)
    I'd have to drop "Europe `72" by Grateful Dead and add The Band's "The Last Waltz". Can't believe that's not on the list.
    Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by surveyor View Post

I'd have to drop "Europe `72" by Grateful Dead and add The Band's "The Last Waltz". Can't believe that's not on the list.
      The Band’s album is the first I thought of.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of live albums. Having said that Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" gets the nod from me.
        "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
          I'm not a big fan of live albums. Having said that Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" gets the nod from me.
          That's a very good one, as is Frampton Comes Alive and Cheap Trick Live at the Budokan, as well as the aforementioned "The Last Waltz" by The Band.

Not very many bands perform live as well as their studio cuts. I never cared much for The Who, Led Zeppelin or The Rolling Stones live. The Eagles perform well live, to the extent that they really try to capture the studio cut with the occasional change up in the pacing of the songs.
          Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

J. Geils Band "Full House". The reaction of the fans to this event is worth a listen on it's own. Incredible interaction between band and audience.

Comment

Nirvana's Unplugged in New York is their best album by far IMO.

Also I love the Talking Heads and have seen Stop Making Sense, but to me that's not close to their best.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                Nirvana's Unplugged in New York is their best album by far IMO.
                This is definitely one of the best live albums of all time.

I realize this probably won’t resonate with many of you, but Nine Inch Nails’ And All That Could Have Been is a masterpiece. You know a live album is good when its songs become the definitive versions in your mind. After being exposed to AATCHB, I listen to the same tracks on their respective studio albums and they just don’t sound quite right.

Comment

Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

This is definitely one of the best live albums of all time.

I realize this probably won’t resonate with many of you, but Nine Inch Nails’ And All That Could Have Been is a masterpiece. You know a live album is good when its songs become the definitive versions in your mind. After being exposed to AATCHB, I listen to the same tracks on their respective studio albums and they just don’t sound quite right.
                  Some songs by Muse are that way with me. Concert version WAY better than the studio.
                  Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                  He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                  Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                  I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
                    J. Geils Band "Full House". The reaction of the fans to this event is worth a listen on it's own. Incredible interaction between band and audience.
                    Does that include Wolf's "raputa the beauta" interaction in "Musta Got Lost"?

Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by surveyor View Post

Does that include Wolf's "raputa the beauta" interaction in "Musta Got Lost"?
                      "Take out your false teeth Mama, cuz I wanna SUCK YOUR GUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The 25 best live albums of all time

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X