Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UKHoov View Post
    Atari: Game Over

This is a documentary of the digging up of the landfill where Atari supposedly dumped the game ET. There is a great mystique behind whether it is actually there or not. It tells the story of Atari and the people who created the games that brought it great success in the late 70s, early 80s, and then covers the downfall of the company.

Really interesting watch for just at an hour. Especially if you owned an Atari 2600.

Highly recommended.

No doubt it happened. I was there in 1983 when it went down. The city of Alamogordo made some serious money off the items dug up.

I was there for three more years after it happened, and the city had all kinds of problems with people sneaking in there at night trying to dig that stuff up.
    “People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.”

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

• Originally posted by WildcatRick View Post

No doubt it happened. I was there in 1983 when it went down. The city of Alamogordo made some serious money off the items dug up.

I was there for three more years after it happened, and the city had all kinds of problems with people sneaking in there at night trying to dig that stuff up.

How many did you get?
      Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinHall View Post

How many did you get?

I didnt get any. At the time they buried that stuff I wouldnt have taken any of it if they had offered. It was mostly kids they had problems with sneaking in there and trying to dig it up. At some point they got tired of it and laid concrete over the top of the burial site. I left the area in Jan 1986 and have told that story to video game enthusiasts over the years. Some had heard about it, but never believed it really happened. I watched that documentary a few months ago and was really surprised how much of that stuff was still in good shape. The city sold a lot of what was dug up on eBay and made a pretty penny off of it. Here is the Wikipedia page about the whole ordeal and below is the article on the money they made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

City of Alamogordo will get $65,000 from sale of unearthed Atari cartridges.
        “People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.”

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

• Hotel Transylvania 2.

Didn't expect to like this animated movie, but it has about four scenes that are hilarious. Those are worth the price of admission, even though the plot around them is predictable. Pixar this ain't.

Still, recommended for a Redbox.

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief.

This was an HBO documentary that aired a few months ago. It's based on Lawrence Wright's book (Wright wrote the great The Looming Tower, about radical Islam), and it's kind of a quick summary of Scientology from its beginning to present day. The facts are pretty well known: the "religion" is crazy and the people in its hierarchy are nuts. L. Ron Hubbard, the founder, was a paranoid madman. But you come away with the feeling that Tom Cruise and John Travolta could have done so much to stop the craziness, but they refused.

Well worth the watch if you're into documentaries on cults and human manipulation.

Pitch Perfect 2.

I wasn't expecting much from this, either, because the reviews were pretty middling. But I found myself liking it a whole lot. It's a shell of the first movie, which is one of my favorites comedies ever. But after the awkward first 20 minutes, it settles into a rhythm and has some great scenes.

Recommended.

Goodnight Mommy.

This is an Austrian horror flick that just came out about three weeks ago. It reminded me of The Babbadook, which is mentioned above in this thread, but it's probably not as good. It's a little too meandering, its plot a little too thin, but the visuals and the sound here are extraordinary. It's about two nine-year-old twins whose mother has just returned to their isolated home after some kind of plastic surgery. What the surgery was for we don't know, but the twins are convinced the woman isn't their real mother. She is adorned with a truly hellish mask, and there are all kinds of scenes here where things are blurred: people are shadowy, the characters are shot through windows, the shadows and darkness cancel out a person's face. It's a neat trick and one that works throughout.

Recommended if you like scary movies, though it isn't one of the best horror films ever made as some of the early blurbs suggested.

Comment

• This is the season for watching scary movies. The wife put a few on our Prime watchlist and we watched a couple of them over the weekend.

First one is Grave Secrets. This starred Patty Duke and David Selby of Dark Shadows fame. It was a made for TV movie in 1992. This was based on a true story out of Texas about a new development of houses that was built over a long forgotten cemetery. When this couple moved in things started happening,dark shadows on the wall,the little kid starts seeing things,toilets flush randomly,TV goes on and off randomly. Pretty much the usual routine. The one thing that made it different was that a daughter of this family dies as a result of these spirits. My wife looked this up to see how true the story stayed with the real life events. There were differences but the daughter did die in real life too but not from cancer as the movie had but while trying to dig up the graves. This has its creepy moments. Not much in special effects but not bad for a TV movie.

The other one was Burn Witch Burn! This was an English made movie in 1962. This is about a very learned college professor who is known speaking out against witchcraft and things of the supernatural. When he finds out his wife has been doing rituals for keeping away evil spirits he destroys the artifacts she has used to do that and that's when things start happening. Very good acting in this one even though I had never heard of anyone in it before. A good scary movie that is not well known but worth the watch.
            Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

• The Prime horror movie selection is pretty weak, but they do have a few decent ones that I've been able to find.

For awhile they had the classic Don't Look Now, which is not just one of the best horror movies ever made but a classic in every sense of the word. I believe (not sure) that one has been taken down.

The Mist, based on the Stephen King short story, is worth a watch. It was made by Frank Darabonte of Shawshank Redemption fame.

Shivers was David Cronenberg's first film. It has an amateur feel, but all the tropes that would make him famous are there.

The Woman in Black, starring Daniel Radcliffe of Harry Potter fame, is worth a watch.

I believe Burnt Offerings is still on there. Highly recommended.

And one of my favorites: Tucker and Dale Versus Evil. Tremendous horror/comedy.
              Last edited by Will Lavender; 10-05-2015, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Finally saw Fast and Furious 7.....excellent.....sad that Paul Walker is not here to make anymore

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Goodnight Mommy.

This is an Austrian horror flick that just came out about three weeks ago. It reminded me of The Babbadook, which is mentioned above in this thread, but it's probably not as good. It's a little too meandering, its plot a little too thin, but the visuals and the sound here are extraordinary. It's about two nine-year-old twins whose mother has just returned to their isolated home after some kind of plastic surgery. What the surgery was for we don't know, but the twins are convinced the woman isn't their real mother. She is adorned with a truly hellish mask, and there are all kinds of scenes here where things are blurred: people are shadowy, the characters are shot through windows, the shadows and darkness cancel out a person's face. It's a neat trick and one that works throughout.

Recommended if you like scary movies, though it isn't one of the best horror films ever made as some of the early blurbs suggested.
                  Where did you get a hold of "Goodnight Mommy"?

Anyway, I've been away for a long time, but since I'm here, I thought I'd give you a rundown of everything (I can remember) seeing since I checked in last. Since I can't give huge breakdowns on each one, I'll just give a number breakdown:

The Martian - 6/10
                  Sicario - 8/10
                  The Walk - 7/10
                  Dope - 8/10
                  We Are Still Here - 5/10
                  Me & Earl & The Dying Girl - 7/10
                  Southpaw - 7.5/10
                  Black Mass - 7/10
                  Everest - 8/10
                  American Ultra - 6/10
                  Straight Outta Compton - 8/10
                  The Gift - 8/10
                  Dark Places - 5/10
                  Mission Impossible 5 - 8/10
                  Trainwreck - 7.5/10
                  Terminator Genysis - 5/10
                  Ted 2 - 2/10
                  Inside Out - 9/10
                  Jurassic World - 7.5/10
                  Entourage - 7/10
                  Mad Max Fury Road - 9.5/10
                  Avengers: Age Of Ultron - 6/10
                  Furious 7 - 6/10
                  It Follows - 8/10
                  Unfriended - 6/10
                  Ex Machina - 9/10
                  Kingsman - 8/10

Boy, I need a life.

Comment

• The prodigal son has returned!

And if I told you where I got Goodnight Mommy I'd have to glue your mouth shut. (That's an inside joke you'd get if you'd watched Goodnight Mommy.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                      The prodigal son has returned!

And if I told you where I got Goodnight Mommy I'd have to glue your mouth shut. (That's an inside joke you'd get if you'd watched Goodnight Mommy.)
                      I've already managed to AHEMfinditAHEM.

I assumed as much, and moved quickly to acquire the film. Wifey and I will be watching tonight.

Comment

• The Martian.

Matt Damon in a 180-minute commercial for NASA. This movie is heavy on the science, but for the most part it makes you feel like you're pretty smart as the information is distilled and easy to digest. It's a movie that works even though you know everybody is going to live, because how could they not when everybody in the cast is so darn likable. Ridley Scott made his name making misfits-in-space movies, but this turns that formula on its head and makes everybody, in every single role, as easy to relate to as your coolest neighbor. However, that didn't bother me much, as everything hinges in a movie like this on how much you're willing to pull for the characters, particularly the lead. And by the end, you're really rooting for Damon's martian.

An excellent film. Reminded me a lot not only of Tom Hanks in Cast Away, but also Gravity--but this is a far more crowd-friendly movie. Highest recommendation.
                        Last edited by Will Lavender; 10-11-2015, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Dope.

A slickly made '90s homage set in present-day South Central. The most interesting thing here is the energy: it reminded me right off the bat of Friday, but this is a much smarter movie. The characters drop '90s hip-hop references right alongside quotes from sci-fi flicks. The first hour is insanely fun, but then the movie loses its way a little. The most interesting dynamic is between the nerdy, Harvard-aspiring lead and the dope-dealing street kid who gets him into trouble; really, the whole movie should've been made about those two characters. But you get a Breaking Bad-style diversion and a few unfunny peripheral characters, and what could have been a masterpiece is just a well-crafted, respectable film.

Still, this is recommended because it's different and fresh and inventive. It has a ton of heart, even though it ends up being a what-could-have-been.

Comment

• Saw The Martian yesterday.....what a story...and I thought Matt Damon was wonderful in this movie

Comment

• We went to see Crimson peak Friday night. It was OK but not great by any means. This is a Gothic romance with some ghosts in it. Not the other way around in which the trailers lead you to believe. The photography of the movie was great. It is set in the 1910's and the photography of this period was very good. The movie starts a little slow and doesn't pick up until they get back to England. To me many of the scenes the ghost or ghouls were in seemed forced. To me not that scary. The romance story is predictable and there is a small twist to it that could be troubling to some. I would wait to rent it if I had to do over again. I would give 2 1/s start out of five.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2554274/...ref_=hm_cht_t3

The week before that we watched The Babadook on Netflix. I thought this one was better. if you take the movie as a straight out horror story then the ending can seem pretty dumb. But if you take it for what I think it was meant,as a story about a woman descending into mental illness,then its pretty good. If you have Netflix its worth your time to watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2321549/?ref_=nv_sr_2
                              Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

• A little off topic, but the new Star Wars trailer during halftime last night looked AWESOME. I'm gonna go ahead and buy my tickets for opening day.
                                Isaiah 5:20

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X