Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Never seen a more villainous character in a documentary.

Although I have to say that Gary Gitchell from the Paradise Lost movies is pretty close.
    His investigator sidekick was almost equally disgusting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post
      From Len Kachinsky, the grinning idiot who was tasked with "defending" Dassey.
      In that first picture on that site, he looks like Roy Williams with blond hair.

What a cretin. I wanted to punch him in his shit-eating grin every time he was on screen.

I'd have to say the most villainous would be James Lenk and Andrew Colborn from the Manitowoc County Sheriff department.
      Last edited by KCKUKFan; 01-06-2016, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Speaking of crime documentaries, anybody seen Dear Zachary?

It's the only movie I've seen that I think I would actually warn people before they watch it. Totally and completely gut-wrenching.

Comment

• Best of Enemies.

Documentary about the series of debates between William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal beginning in 1968.

This is a highly entertaining movie about two of the most ferocious intellectuals of the 20th century. What's fascinating about the movie is that the things they were talking about in '68 are still being discussed to this day. Nobody has won, and political pundit shows are still using the model that Buckley and Vidal perfected almost a half century ago.

The movie turns on a moment where Buckley infamously called Vidal a "queer" and told him he wanted to punch him in his g______n mouth. The moment haunted Buckley for years, not because he'd insulted Vidal--who he seemed to legitimately despise--but because he'd lost his cool, something he rarely ever did.

But as you watch the movie you see why they hated each other: they were the same man. They believed different things, but they were almost carbon copies of the other. They spoke the same, their backgrounds were the same, they looked very much the same. It's uncanny to watch them hold forth on politics because it's almost like you're watching a split personality debate itself.

Highest recommendation.

Comment

• Saw "Joy" on Tuesday. It was OK. A little drawn out, but then a movie has to be a certain amount of time in length. Saw it Tuesday at 4:30. $5.30. $5.50 if you aren't a senior citizen

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
              Best of Enemies.

Documentary about the series of debates between William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal beginning in 1968.

This is a highly entertaining movie about two of the most ferocious intellectuals of the 20th century. What's fascinating about the movie is that the things they were talking about in '68 are still being discussed to this day. Nobody has won, and political pundit shows are still using the model that Buckley and Vidal perfected almost a half century ago.

The movie turns on a moment where Buckley infamously called Vidal a "queer" and told him he wanted to punch him in his g______n mouth. The moment haunted Buckley for years, not because he'd insulted Vidal--who he seemed to legitimately despise--but because he'd lost his cool, something he rarely ever did.

But as you watch the movie you see why they hated each other: they were the same man. They believed different things, but they were almost carbon copies of the other. They spoke the same, their backgrounds were the same, they looked very much the same. It's uncanny to watch them hold forth on politics because it's almost like you're watching a split personality debate itself.

Highest recommendation.
              Where can I find this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

Where can I find this?
                It's free on Netflix.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure I saw Dear Zachary on there last night too. (Just started using Netflix.)

But dear God that one is NOT SAFE FOR LIFE.

Comment

• Thank you Will. I don't believe i ever would've k own about Dear Zachary had you not talked about it. I just finished it and I have never watched anything in my life that had me going through the whole range of emotions like this documentary did. I'm really a bit tore up to get into it other than it was just a fantastic piece of film making. I wasn't that far into it when I knew this was gonna stick with me for a bit. After that third act gut punch I can say that this one will stick with me for quite some time.
                    Isaiah 5:20

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
                      Thank you Will. I don't believe i ever would've k own about Dear Zachary had you not talked about it. I just finished it and I have never watched anything in my life that had me going through the whole range of emotions like this documentary did. I'm really a bit tore up to get into it other than it was just a fantastic piece of film making. I wasn't that far into it when I knew this was gonna stick with me for a bit. After that third act gut punch I can say that this one will stick with me for quite some time.
                      Probably the most infuriating movie I've ever watched.

Special place in hell for the "villain" of the film, IMO.

Comment

• Highest recommendation for The Revenant. Extremely well done. The cinematography is great. Worth it just for that. If you have a weak stomach though don't go. The opening few minutes is very much like Saving Private Ryan. Very intense battle scene that is not for the faint of heart. The bear mauling is something else too. I found the "horse hibernation" fascinating too. Just a very good 2 1/2 hours well spent. Not really a dull moment in it.
                        Last edited by KevinHall; 01-11-2016, 06:16 AM.
                        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

• Aliens- Going on 30 years and it is still the best sci-fi movie I have ever had the pleasure of watching. I watch this every time I can and it never gets old. A masterpiece of film making.
                          Isaiah 5:20

Comment

• Anybody watch The Following? We just finished the third and final season and it was one of the most jaw dropping shows I have ever watched.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
                              Aliens- Going on 30 years and it is still the best sci-fi movie I have ever had the pleasure of watching. I watch this every time I can and it never gets old. A masterpiece of film making.

I will never forget the first time I saw this movie....eve after 30 years it still freaks me out

Comment

• Sicario.

Bleak, macabre, depressing, stressful - and awesome. One of the better films I've seen in a while. It's the kind of realistic look at special ops work that I can't find enough of in books, and one that I suspect happens on any given day in real life. The film doesn't flinch at the atrocities of the borderland drug trade, and we're left with a nauseating truth about the reality of the modern drug war. Acting and writing are both superb - though the story takes a turn toward the end that may throw off some viewers. We're with Emily Blunt's character all the way, absorbing the situation in step with her, and then...we aren't. That's all I'll say for now.

Go watch it. Very high recommendation.

Also, the opening seen isn't for the weak of stomach.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X