Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interstellar.

This was reviewed above in this thread, but I finally got around to it. It's a heavy, swelling, at times utterly confusing movie that has all of the Nolan trademarks (the pulsing score*, the quick-cut editing, the dreamlike imagery) but is probably the least effective of his movies. Still I recommend this if you haven't seen it; it's like 2001: A Space Odyssey if Kubrick had set out to make a crowd-pleaser. You can find it for free on Amazon Prime.

* The score of this is awesome. I can't help but think that it too is a nod to 2001. Very trippy, very '70s-influenced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
      Interstellar.

This was reviewed above in this thread, but I finally got around to it. It's a heavy, swelling, at times utterly confusing movie that has all of the Nolan trademarks (the pulsing score*, the quick-cut editing, the dreamlike imagery) but is probably the least effective of his movies. Still I recommend this if you haven't seen it; it's like 2001: A Space Odyssey if Kubrick had set out to make a crowd-pleaser. You can find it for free on Amazon Prime.

* The score of this is awesome. I can't help but think that it too is a nod to 2001. Very trippy, very '70s-influenced.
      I'm of the opinion that "Insterstellar" is one of the most under-appreciated movies of the 2010s. Sure, it has flaws (like all of Nolan's movies), but it's BIG stuff is overwhelmingly good.

Comment

• It Follows- Shoulda been named "It Sucked". I get the simpleness of it. From the camera work to the music, it was going for that old school horror feel. But the story was just so so, and the performances were terrible. All the actors were just monotoned for the most part with very little emotion. There was nothing to even suggest where "it" came from. I saw some great reviews for this but, seriously, I would like to know what they were watching. I lost 100 minutes of my life that I will never get back. I was gonna lose them anyway, but I at least wanna enjoy them.
        Isaiah 5:20

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
          It Follows- Shoulda been named "It Sucked". I get the simpleness of it. From the camera work to the music, it was going for that old school horror feel. But the story was just so so, and the performances were terrible. All the actors were just monotoned for the most part with very little emotion. There was nothing to even suggest where "it" came from. I saw some great reviews for this but, seriously, I would like to know what they were watching. I lost 100 minutes of my life that I will never get back. I was gonna lose them anyway, but I at least wanna enjoy them.
          What in the world? YOU WATCH YOUR MOUTH.

That's a great film. Seriously, in my top ten horror movies ever. Thing is a puzzle box of horror movie allusions.

And they clearly went '80s style with no-name actors, but I thought they were decent. They definitely never took me out of the movie or anything.

But the score! The ungodly, evil, genius score. That alone is worth watching the movie for.

Comment

• Thanks you all for an amazing thread. I'm not much into going to theaters and I'm not into TV at all, but after reading all these posts, I have about ten more titles to add to my Netflix que. Last flick I watched was the documentary "History of the Eagles". Two dvd's. Excellent.

Comment

• Anyone seen Goodnight Mommy? This sounds like good creepy one. We are planning on going to see The Witch next week when it comes out. The trailer looked very creepy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3086442/?ref_=rvi_tt
              Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinHall View Post
                Anyone seen Goodnight Mommy? This sounds like good creepy one. We are planning on going to see The Witch next week when it comes out. The trailer looked very creepy.

Goodnight Mommy was actually sort've boring. Not the shock-fest that the trailers and hype would have you believe. Not a bad movie, just not very involving.

And "It Follows" was friggin' awesome. The best horror flick I've seen in ages.

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinHall View Post
                  Anyone seen Goodnight Mommy? This sounds like good creepy one. We are planning on going to see The Witch next week when it comes out. The trailer looked very creepy.

Yes. Reviewed it above.

It's good. Visually shocking. Probably not a classic or anything but well worth the watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

What in the world? YOU WATCH YOUR MOUTH.

That's a great film. Seriously, in my top ten horror movies ever. Thing is a puzzle box of horror movie allusions.

And they clearly went '80s style with no-name actors, but I thought they were decent. They definitely never took me out of the movie or anything.

But the score! The ungodly, evil, genius score. That alone is worth watching the movie for.
                    Yeah I know. We usually agree on movies. The only thing I liked about this movie was the score. This movie could have been SO much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
                      Yeah I know. We usually agree on movies. The only thing I liked about this movie was the score. This movie could have been SO much better.
                      97% on rotten tomatoes....

I'm not really into horror movies so... haven't seen it.
                      Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                      He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                      Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                      I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

97% on rotten tomatoes....

I'm not really into horror movies so... haven't seen it.
                        Not a typical horror movie.

There's no stalker in a mask. Or a ghost rattling chains.

All the horror in this movie is driven purely by the idea that the threat could be anyone or anywhere at anytime. The wildly original score doesn't hurt.

It's an unsettling movie, but not a slasher like most would imagine.

Comment

• Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

All the horror in this movie is driven purely by the idea that the threat could be anyone or anywhere at anytime.
                          And that is the main reason I didn't care for this. I mean, all they had to do was be on the lookout for the pale, slow walking individuals. The scene where they are at the guys house that tied her up in the beginning and he sees this girl walking rather fast with a backpack on and a smile on her face. He freaks out and says, "Can you see her?!?". Dude, I knew she wasn't "it". Like I said, the movie could've been so much better. It just had to be smarter.

Comment

• Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- I enjoyed this movie a lot. The CGI was awesome in it. The story was a little flawed, but the action and set pieces made up for it.

Comment

• Cinderella (2015). Such a great, great movie. It could have been served better if it had been about 20 minutes longer. Felt, at times, rushed.

We've started up a movie podcast recently and are just getting into the swing of things, but I'm finding my movie watching experience has increased just due to being able to talk about them every week on a forum like that.

Comment

• Creed.

This has been reviewed and discussed at length since it came out, but it's almost shockingly good. The lead actor is wooden, but this movie has energy and heart to spare. Like the new Star Wars, it got the balance just right between being its own film and paying homage to the original Rocky films.

Flat-out great.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X