Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

They're jumping back and forth in time rather than going backwards.

Rogue One is a direct prequel of sorts to the very first Star Wars film that was released in 1977, A New Hope. The reason that there's no Luke Skylwalker is because Skywalker would still be on Tatooine with Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru.

The movie you're talking about with Luke Skywalker is The Force Awakens, which takes place after the original Star Wars trology. The sequel to that movie will be released in December 2017.
    Thanks Will. Maybe I will like the upcoming movie better

Comment

• Originally posted by Wonderstruck View Post

LOL. I can sense the sarcasm dripping through this post. You really didn't know their names?

At least we get some semblance of a back story with Erso. There's tangible reasoning why she's brooding. She's not thrown into the story recklessly. She's a necessary component for the Rebellion.

Rey, on the other hand, just stumbles into the universe and we're asked to buy it because it's Star Wars. She's had no training and she goes toe to toe with Kylo Ren. She flies the Millenium Falcon without any issues, out maneuvering what should have been a well trained Trooper. It's all wrapped up very nicely. I like Rey, but in this particular comparison, Erso is far more interesting and believable IMO.
      ​​​​​​
      I'm sure Rey will be more developed moving forward.
      I had the same complaints at first, but it's easily reasoned away by claiming that Rey was overflowing with The Force and tapped into that power for the first time in TFA - hence, The Force Awakens.

Jen, or Jyn, or Jenn, on the other hand, was god awful. I get your point about her as a plot device, but as a character she was absolutely lifeless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
        Saw The Jungle Book last night on Netflix. I can't remember much of the original story to go off of, but I really enjoyed this. It's worth a watch for the impressive cgi alone. It's the best I have ever seen. Give it a watch.
        It looked really cool and the voice acting was great, but my God, that poor kid couldn't act to save his life. One day Jon Favreau saw him on the street, said, "Hey! You're ethnic-looking. Want to play Mowgli?" and The Jungle Book was born.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

I had the same complaints at first, but it's easily reasoned away by claiming that Rey was overflowing with The Force and tapped into that power for the first time in TFA - hence, The Force Awakens.

Jen, or Jyn, or Jenn, on the other hand, was god awful. I get your point about her as a plot device, but as a character she was absolutely lifeless.
          Man, I don't know. I don't see lifeless, I see tenacious and a bit bitter for what has happened to her. She also shows a lot of fire when speaking with Gerrera, emotion during the scene with her father, and leadership when talking with the Council. I guess it's just a different perspective.

Towards the Rey stuff; I truly don't mind any of it. I'm not big on the mythology of Star Wars for that to bother me. But just in a side-by-side comparison of the characters, I see the "faults."

I'm clearly in the minority here, and just enjoy the discussion. I truly do enjoy TFA a lot and think Rey is a great character for this world.

Comment

• Hidden Fences was a treat to watch. I love how the oppressive nature of the era wasn't forced or shoehorned in to make for a guilt-filled watching. In fact, the lead characters were all very strong-willed, determined, and people who commanded respect to a high degree; they were totally easy to root for. There were those hard-to-watch scenes where it makes you question our moral sanity, but not enough where it distracted from the film itself, and I never felt like these women were in any kind of danger or at risk for not having a successful life. They were going to make it one way or another.

Really great performances all around, and a really great movie.

4.5/5

Comment

• I need to watch La La Land, but it's still trickling in slowly around here.

Comment

• Not a movie, but wanted to stop by and talk about how awesome the TV show "Black Mirror" is.

Nearly every installment is a mini-masterpiece. An allegory about how technology is taking us to hell, each story works like a short film. On crack. Even the stories that are a little bit derivative work on their own psychotic level.

Made for folks will Will Lavender.

Comment

• Finally seeing La La Land on Saturday.

By the way, using the Atom app, use the promo code "LaLa30" to see it for free. First 1,000 to use the code. It'll probably be used all up soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post
                    Not a movie, but wanted to stop by and talk about how awesome the TV show "Black Mirror" is.
                    I'm afraid America is going through its own Black Mirror moment right now.

Comment

I'm afraid America is going through its own Black Mirror moment right now.
                      So you've watched it, I assume?

Comment

• Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

So you've watched it, I assume?
                        Oh yeah. Reviewed a few of the new episodes about three pages ago.

Comment

Oh yeah. Reviewed a few of the new episodes about three pages ago.
                          That's what I get for not reading my own thread. Ha.

Comment

• If I had to rank the Black Mirror episodes, here's how I'd do it:

1) White Christmas
                            2) Nosedive
                            3) San Junipiero
                            4) White Bear
                            5) Hated In The Nation
                            6) Be Right Back
                            7) The Entire History Of You
                            8) Shut Up and Dance
                            9) The National Anthem
                            10) Playtest
                            11) 15 Million Merits
                            12) Men Against Fire
                            13) The Waldo Moment
                            Last edited by KCKUKFan; 01-11-2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• I would probably put "Shut Up and Dance" higher, but it's definitely brutal.

And IMO "The Entire History of You" is the best episode simply because of its insane plausibility. What makes Black Mirror great is that every episode is plausible on some level, but that one felt so urgent and immediate to me that I can see the technology being part of our lives tomorrow.

It's still slated to become a movie produced by Robert Downey Jr.

Comment

I would probably put "Shut Up and Dance" higher, but it's definitely brutal.

And IMO "The Entire History of You" is the best episode simply because of its insane plausibility. What makes Black Mirror great is that every episode is plausible on some level, but that one felt so urgent and immediate to me that I can see the technology being part of our lives tomorrow.

It's still slated to become a movie produced by Robert Downey Jr.
                                I was torn between putting "Shut Up and Dance" top three and bottom three. I can't make up my mind about that one, which is why I put it somewhere in the middle.

On one level, it's devastating and entertaining in equal measure.

On another level, it's one of the only episodes in the series where you feel the plot gears grinding. And the inclusion of Radiohead's "Exit Music" at the end might've been a little too on-the-nose.

I loved "Nosedive" because it was funny (it was written by Rashida Jones and Michael Schur of "Parks and Rec" fame), thought-provoking, and it immersed you completely in its Stepford Wives-on-crack world maybe more than any other episode.

"The Entire History Of You" was another episode where I questioned ranking it higher. Immediately after watching, I thought it was a masterpiece. With some time, I feel like it was sort of... slight.

Comment

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X