Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post
    Always appreciated Zodiac more than I enjoyed it. I think it's because they never solved the case, so the movie just sorts of flounders in its ending.

Also, everybody on earth seemingly has been raving about "Wonder Woman." You're literally the first person I've come across who had a "meh" reaction.
    My reaction was slightly better than "meh". I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't stink. I was entertained, I really liked parts of the story, but it seemed pretty forgettable on the whole. I don't get the rave reviews it received from some quarters. I think there are those who puffed the film out of a socio-political desired to see a female superhero lead succeed.

For me it was nothing more than fine. It gives me hope that the Justice League movie won't be a dumpster fire.
    Originally posted by Eli "Montgomery Burns" Capilouto
    Welcome to the University of Kroger! Can I have a dollar?

Comment

• Baby Driver.

An action movie you can dance to. This feels like the lovechild of Miami Vice and those super-stylized British heist movies, and at no time does the pace lag. There are all kinds of striking details in this, stuff you almost miss because of the frenetic pace of the movie (I particularly liked the scene where the main character pronounces the band "trex"). You wish at times the lead character had a little more agency; things happen to him a lot and not because of him, but that doesn't take away from what an incredibly fun movie this is to watch.

Cool as hell and the kind of movie you feel like you could start watching again as soon as it's over, this baby is incredible.
      Last edited by Will Lavender; 07-02-2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• ^ Will, I can't wait to see this. It's getting crazy good reviews.

Comment

• Baby Driver was a lot of fun, but it was sortve slight. As far as Edgar Wright movies go, it was better than The Worlds End and Scott Pilgrim vs the World, but it lags behind Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. Still highly recommended.
          Last edited by KCKUKFan; 07-03-2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Virtually every movie I see is with 3 kids so that affects my selection and my review. 2 recent ones:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2--highly entertaining and I had not seen the 1st one.

Pirates of the Caribbean 5--I think that series is just not my thing. Johnny Depp is good but overall it's just OK.

Comment

• I hopefully will go see War for the Planet of the Apes tomorrow. I am really jazzed up for this one. The first two were great movies and War is getting awesome reviews. This is an underrated franchise. I am reading possible Best Picture Oscar nod, which is rare for a movie such as this. Kind of reminds me of Mad Max Fury Road in that high ratings for movies such as this are rare. The buzz is off the charts and I am so psyched.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
                I hopefully will go see War for the Planet of the Apes tomorrow. I am really jazzed up for this one. The first two were great movies and War is getting awesome reviews. This is an underrated franchise. I am reading possible Best Picture Oscar nod, which is rare for a movie such as this. Kind of reminds me of Mad Max Fury Road in that high ratings for movies such as this are rare. The buzz is off the charts and I am so psyched.
                I saw it Thursday night. It's a good movie, but I'm not sure if it's Best Picture type stuff. It's just a good example of a blockbuster-done-right. Andy Serkis should absolutely be in the conversation for Best Actor, though. A terrific performance. The movie is probably a little too long and a bit too derivative of other, better movies. But it's still good, and if you liked the first two of the new trilogy, then you'll probably love this one.

Comment

• I saw Spider-man.

From a film, story, effects, and character POV it is far and away the best one. I must admit I found it a little dull. I don't care for some of the story changes to speed up the shared univers thing either, but everyone likes Iron Man so... maybe it was necessary.

Still better than all the others, and miles better than the last three.

Comment

• I liked Spider-Man, a lot. It was a sweet movie with a big heart, which is the most important element to a Spider-Man story, and it's what the Andrew Garfield flicks were missing.

I don't really care about all the Avenger tie-in stuff, because I don't really care about comic books or comic book movies as a general rule, but I appreciate that we were spared the origin story for the third time.

Tom Holland is the picture perfect Spidey/Peter Parker. A breakout star-in-the-making performance. And Michael Keaton's 23rd hour career resurgence has been something to behold.

Comment

• Swallows and Amazons.

A gorgeously made British storybook based on a beloved children's tale. This is kind of like what you would get if you crossed The Goonies and Babe and threw in a dash of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. The story is magnificently simple, but you watch this for the visuals. And my Lord is it something to look at. One of the most beautiful live action movies I've seen; you're completely immersed in the world of this movie in the first two minutes.

If you have kids and you're looking for something simple and easy on the palate, you can't go wrong with this. One of the finest family films I have ever seen.

Comment

• I finally got around to watching Sicario this month. I loved it. Very tense, very interesting, beautifuly done.

The main character and her plaintive point of view is absurd, but since she is to a degree, a proxy for the audience it seems necessary to tell the story. The notion that people would be given weapons and thrown on an assault team with no prior team training is also jarringly silly, but that is pretty much how Hollywood thinks things work and it would be super boring watching an assault team rehearse a couple hundred reps in an aircraft hanger, with a scale floor plan of the target in masking tape on the floor.

All in all, a great piece of film making and one I could watch again and again. (Like No Country for Old Men)

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
                          I finally got around to watching Sicario this month. I loved it. Very tense, very interesting, beautifuly done.

The main character and her plaintive point of view is absurd, but since she is to a degree, a proxy for the audience it seems necessary to tell the story. The notion that people would be given weapons and thrown on an assault team with no prior team training is also jarringly silly, but that is pretty much how Hollywood thinks things work and it would be super boring watching an assault team rehearse a couple hundred reps in an aircraft hanger, with a scale floor plan of the target in masking tape on the floor.

All in all, a great piece of film making and one I could watch again and again. (Like No Country for Old Men)
                          I could re-watch those two movies again and again as well.

Comment

• John Wick Capter 2- After a surprise hit in John Wick, which I loved, I really didn't expect much of this. Man was I wrong. This is a beautiful ballet of bullets and mayhem. I am an action nut, and this baby brought it in spades. It starts with an impressive car chase and doesn't let up. This is a smart film as well. There are no 7 round magazines that magically fires 20 times with no reload. Wick is fully aware of the round capacity. Disarming baddies when his weapon is empty to use theirs. This happens throughout. Unlike the first movie, this one dives into the league of assassins and the way they go about contracting. It was really well done. The cinematography is fantastic here as was the direction. Reeves has cemented himself as THE action star of modern cinema in my opinion. If you like your action over the top, this movie is definitely for you. This was just an awesome movie and I highly recommend it.
                            Last edited by Blue Heaven; 07-18-2017, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• I am not a Tom Cruise fan but watched Jack Reacher and Jack Reacher 2 last night...both very good movies

Comment

• Originally posted by TrueblueCATfan View Post
                                I am not a Tom Cruise fan but watched Jack Reacher and Jack Reacher 2 last night...both very good movies
                                Jack Reacher was good, but I almost walked out of Jack Reacher 2. Felt almost like a straight-to-video TNT special.

Comment

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X