Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a bold statement Mr. Lavender! I've been looking for something to outdo Max and haven't found it yet. I will give this a shot viad showbox/chrome cast.
    Isaiah 5:20

Comment

Jurassic World- An incredible movie with great special effects. This movie looks awesome though not as good as Mad Max which is the best looking movie I have ever seen. It has the feel of the original but is rather predictable. That doesn't matter though. The Indominus Rex is one bad mama jamma. Outside of a few areas of rather silliness, such as Chris Pratts role as a "raptor whisperer", this is a very good movie. Plenty of chills abound. Unlike the first movie, this one will scare little ones. If Spielberg directed this it would have been even better, though it's very hard not to like this movie. A highly recommended movie.

Comment

Kingsman: The Secret Service.

The most interesting thing about this is that Samuel L. Jackson plays the villain and it has tangentially to do with global warming. Otherwise the movie is a series of chaotic action sequences based around a loose plot about a group of spies who protect...something. It's not really clear who they work for or what they do other than Jason Bourne baddies into submission, but logic isn't really the point of this: for its first 60 minutes it's very fun, amazing to look at, sort of a cross between the Robert Downey Sherlock Holmes movies and a Jackie Chan flick. For its last hour it really bogs down, and one of the major flaws of this is that it gets hugely repetitive at the end. It should have been at least 20 minutes shorter. It's also not very funny--it kind of tries to go for emotion at times but wildly misses the mark there, and then it settles into silliness but it's not as ribald or weird as it could be. The scene in a Kentucky church is just a frantic fight scene like we've seen a million times.

But for that first hour and for the cheekiness of the movie (there are all kinds of allusions to spy movies, sort of like Wes Craven did with horror films in Scream), this is okay for a dollar rental at the Redbox.

Comment

I will go against the grain a little:

Saw Gone Girl. As Barkley would say...Turribal. Not only because it has Afleck in it but it could not have been any more stupid. I know it was popular to like this one but it missed with me. But I do have a crush on Rosamond Pike and have since Die Another Day. So glad I did not pay money to see this turkey.

The Judge....3 stars. Downey Jr is now playing Iron Man in every film, it seems. But it was a pleasure seeing Duvall again.

Comment

The Gallows....once is awhile you always see that weird movie well this was it

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
              The scene in a Kentucky church is just a frantic fight scene like we've seen a million times.
              Only utterly amazing and like nothing we have seen before.... There have been lots of large complicated chop-suey fights on screen over the years; but that one raised the bar in terms of choreography and ingenuity.
              ________

Unlike Will, I thought the Kingsman: The Secret Service. was fun and pretty funny. My wife loved it.

Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Originally posted by BobS View Post
                I will go against the grain a little:

Saw Gone Girl. As Barkley would say...Turribal. Not only because it has Afleck in it but it could not have been any more stupid. I know it was popular to like this one but it missed with me. But I do have a crush on Rosamond Pike and have since Die Another Day. So glad I did not pay money to see this turkey.

The Judge....3 stars. Downey Jr is now playing Iron Man in every film, it seems. But it was a pleasure seeing Duvall again.
                I wouldn't say Turribal; but I didn't think it was that good. I kept hoping Afleck's character would get hit by a bus.

---------

I saw Ant-Man this weekend. It was pretty good. I got bored during his learning to use the suit; but it got better as it went along. I liked that the story was smaller scale and less epic than so many superhero movies. The world need not be in peril EVERY time to tell a good story. Mrs. Spiritof96 really liked this one for having more humor and less action than most comic movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

Only utterly amazing and like nothing we have seen before....
                  Well, other than the location it reminded me of every other scene where everybody dies at the hands of an action hero. The over-the-top gore reminded me of stuff I'd seen in Kill Bill. The kind of frenetic evil of the churchgoers was right out of zombie films where faceless hordes get slaughtered.

That movie is unbelievably well-crafted, though, and I'm always amazed when I watch films these days how much care and effort (and money) go into making them, even the ones that aren't that great. I still can't wrap my mind around how some of the stuff in Mad Max was pulled off.

Comment

I had to see this one more than once.....The Impossible. Waited a year to see it again. Might be in my Top 10 of all time flicks. It actually affected me ad that is what I look for in a film. Gut wrenching and well done. If you have seen it see it again. If not...go get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Well, other than the location it reminded me of every other scene where everybody dies at the hands of an action hero. The over-the-top gore reminded me of stuff I'd seen in Kill Bill. The kind of frenetic evil of the churchgoers was right out of zombie films where faceless hordes get slaughtered.

That movie is unbelievably well-crafted, though, and I'm always amazed when I watch films these days how much care and effort (and money) go into making them, even the ones that aren't that great. I still can't wrap my mind around how some of the stuff in Mad Max was pulled off.
                      When I say it is unlike anything we have seen before, I mean: camera work, the flow of the choreography, and ingenuity of the choreography. The Kill Bill crazy 88 scene and zombie mobs have nothing on Kingsman in those areas. I get how they might seem broadly similar... As an example of how special the church scene is, consider the action in John Wick. They tried to accomplish the same sort of gun-fu but it totally pales in comparison in terms of fight arranging.

Comment

• The camerawork is pretty wild. Again, not sure how they staged some of that stuff. Almost slow-motion but not quite. And I love "gun fu."

A similar movie that I liked a lot better was the last Mission: Impossible. Actually that may be my favorite pure action movie ever. Right up there with Die Hard. It's a movie composed around six or seven insane sequences, each one more jaw-dropping than the last.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobS View Post
                          I had to see this one more than once.....The Impossible. Waited a year to see it again. Might be in my Top 10 of all time flicks. It actually affected me ad that is what I look for in a film. Gut wrenching and well done. If you have seen it see it again. If not...go get it.

Loved it....saw it at the theater and have it on DVD

Comment

• Originally posted by BobS View Post
                            Interesting recommendation. I hadn't heard of it.

Comment

• Marvels Antman.........loved it...highly recommend.....could not get over how great Micheal Douglas looks

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
                                There have been lots of large complicated chop-suey fights on screen over the years; but that one raised the bar in terms of choreography and ingenuity.

You need to see The Raid:Redemption or Kung Fu Hustle.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X