Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Stanford Prison Experiment.

A friend recommended this. I had no idea it was out, but heard about it months ago as the director was trying to assemble a cast. I watched it on video-on-demand through DirecTV.

It's not very good. In fact it's borderline terrible. The only thing that saves it is how crafted it is; the '60/'70s patina is in the filter, and the actors nail the talk and swagger of that era. Otherwise this is a dog. Part of my reaction to it is that I knew about Zimbardo's actual experiment, and knowing what was going to happen strips out a lot of the suspense. Even the more atrocious things the guards did didn't have any effect on me. I found myself laughing more than anything (and the movie is not overtly funny).

Skip this. I once saw Stephen King say of a book that it had no "heat," and that's what's going on here. It's a movie with solid acting that's well-shot that just has no heat at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
      You need to see The Raid:Redemption or Kung Fu Hustle.
      I have.

I tend to think of "martial arts movies" differently than movies with martial arts in them.

Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

• Originally posted by TrueblueCATfan View Post
        Marvels Antman.........loved it...highly recommend.....could not get over how great Micheal Douglas looks
        It's amazing what they can do with make-up and computers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

It's amazing what they can do with make-up and computers.

yep considering his age and battling throat cancer

Comment

Marvels Antman.........loved it...highly recommend.....could not get over how great Micheal Douglas looks
            I found the young Michael Douglas in the flash back scenes to be very distracting as I couldn't figure our how they made him look that young.

Comment

• Wife and I went to see Mission Impossible Rogue Nation.

I really like # 1 and # 3 and could tolerate # 4. Hated # 2.

Well...this was a GREAT flick. Entertaining, fast paced. Some of the best stunts EVER. Good characters and decent acting by all. Some humor as well. The wife, who is not into action flicks as much, loved it as well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. 4 out of 5 stars in my book. Worth seeing twice if you have a mind to.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobS View Post
                Wife and I went to see Mission Impossible Rogue Nation.

I really like # 1 and # 3 and could tolerate # 4. Hated # 2.

Well...this was a GREAT flick. Entertaining, fast paced. Some of the best stunts EVER. Good characters and decent acting by all. Some humor as well. The wife, who is not into action flicks as much, loved it as well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. 4 out of 5 stars in my book. Worth seeing twice if you have a mind to.
                Funny, I thought this one was the 4th...

As for me I thought 1 was ok. 2 or 3 sucked (I don't remember which one sucked and which I don't remember) The last one in Dubai was lost on me...

This one was pretty good. It reminds me of a modern take on a Rodger Moore type bond. More fun that gritty. It moved quick enough that I didn't have time to think about the nonsense plot and all of the action set pieces were really well done.

Best of all the story went against the obvious cliche a time or two and kept me on my toes.

It was worth the time for the pane stunt and the motor cycle chase alone.

Comment

• Vacation......Halarious.....would have liked to have seen cousin Eddie at least have an appearence in the movie

Comment

Vacation......Halarious.....would have liked to have seen cousin Eddie at least have an appearence in the movie
                    This surprises me!

Comment

• Miracle. One of the great Sport movies.

Comment

• Saw Pixels on my just-finished () Florida vacay.

At its best it's Ghostbusters. At its worst all the jokes miss and it's painfully bad. One interesting thing about it is how hard it tries to be PG-13. A lot of four-letter words that were gratuitous simply to satisfy the adults, I guess. In movies for adults, I've no problem with profanity. If it fits the story, then fine by me. But when the film strains to be off-color and the audience is going to be mostly 9- and 10-year-olds, it's unnecessary and at times cringe-worthy.

Still, I liked the various nods to '80s culture, and the movie had two or three hilarious sequences. Decent for a $1 movie night, or wait until Redbox.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

This surprises me!
                          Surprises me as well being its been getting horrible reviews across the board.
                          Isaiah 5:20

Comment

• Three older movies we watched this week that we rented either from Prime or the local video store, Family Video in J-Town. I love going to the video store and browsing the stacks and loathe Redbox with a kind of embarrassing fury, as I've said many times. My wife loves romantic comedies and I love headtrippy paranoid thrillers, so that's what we picked.

Frantic.

Harrison Ford in a Roman Polanski thriller, 1988. The first 45 minutes of this movie are as well-done as any thriller I've seen. Then things go off the deep end as Polanski tries to make about four different kinds of films. It reminded me a little of DePalma's Blow-Out, but that movie kind of helds its line a little better. This movie shatters completely apart...but man, that first half-hour or so. You can't make a paranoid film any better.

Recommended for that short sequence.

The Prestige.

Christopher Nolan film that came out in the Summer of Magician Movies that I never saw for some reason. Like all of Nolan it has a paranoid, throttling intensity that makes you pay attention even when nothing's happening. The ending is lauded as being one of the twistiest but it wasn't shattering, but the movie is mysterious and strange and at times stunning to look at. Christian Bale is sort of stilted in his role but Hugh Jackman is fascinating as he plays about four different kinds of men in one.

Excellent if you like films like Memento and Inception.

The Switch.

Rom-com based on a Jeffrey Euginides short story. Euginides wrote one of my favorite novels, The Virgin Suicides, and I was amazed to see his name in the credits. Because this is about as far from that novel as you can get. It's Jennifer Aniston playing the same kind of part she's played a thousand times, and Jason Bateman looking vaguely bored, but it's one of those movies that you don't want to like, that you have no business liking, but everybody's so relateable and flatly interesting that the movie grabs you and tricks you into enjoying it.

Recommended if you like rom-coms/movies where you don't have to think that much/emotionally manipulative films with pat endings and the kind of humor that makes you grin widely rather than laugh out loud.
                            Last edited by Will Lavender; 08-14-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• And speaking of Jason Bateman, I really want to see The Gift.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                                And speaking of Jason Bateman, I really want to see The Gift.

seeing it tomorrow..heard it is really good

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X