Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last I saw was the last Jurassic Park. Was OK.
    Proverbs 25:24

Comment

• THE GIFT.....................I loved it.....Jason Bateman is such an awesome actor.....plot has it's twists and turns but what an ending

Comment

• Interstellar

Starts off with fantastic mood and cinematography. Fascinating and beautiful to watch.

Turns into Christopher Nolan schlock in the third act. As always gaping nonsensical plot holes abound. I felt like I had experienced time dilation by the time it was over.

The robot was funny.
        Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

• Me and the wife went to see The Gift. It was a good but not great movie. It's worth the time and effort to see it. It is basically Hollywoods attempt to show the long term effects of bullying could be. I thought Joel Egerton was the best performer of the movie. The others were average or slightly above.
          Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

• Sinisiter 2.....good story line but not near as scary as the first one

Comment

• Who Bombed Judi Bari?

This is an indie documentary I found for free with my Amazon Prime account.

Highly interesting film. The amateurism is clearly on display, but even though it's kind of a guerilla project the issues in the film are well-drawn--and I knew nothing about them and had never heard of Judi Bari before I began watching.

Bari was an environmental activist in the 1980s and early '90s who was badly injured when a bomb exploded in her car in 1990. The movie focuses on a deposition she gave after suing the FBI in 1997, and throughout the film she is totally prone as she gives the deposition because she suffers from terminal cancer. The movie only skirts the surface of the actual bombing but instead spends 75% of its running time on the history of environmental activism, including "monkeywrenching," a practice where activists would essentially destroy logging equipment. Kentucky gets a brief mention, but most of the film focuses on the removal of redwood trees in California.

The bomb that injures Bari is suspicious because it seems to have exploded from beneath her seat. Bari claims that this means she couldn't have known it was there, but the FBI finds that Bari and a co-conspirator were transporting the bomb somewhere and intended to use it. The charges against Bari end up being dropped and she counter-sues, claiming that it was the FBI itself who tried to bomb her. There's some interesting evidence here that she could be right, but I won't give that away if you want to watch this.

My feeling is that Bari's vehicle was probably bombed by somebody in the logging industry, but you can draw your own conclusions. It's a very interesting case and the movie is a quick, informative watch about a movement that was talking about global warming long before it became a celebrity crusade.

Comment

• NO ESCAPE.......edge of your seat thriller..very tense.....and really weird to see Owen Wilson in a drama movie but he was awesome

Comment

• Under the Skin.

More than a decade ago I read this novel by Michael Faber. It had come highly recommended, but after I read it I couldn't really grasp what I'd read. Which is strange because the book is very straightforward, written in a clean and direct style. But there seemed to be a message there, some kind of subtext that went over my head.

Well, the movie doesn't clear much up. In fact the movie is hypnotically, breathtakingly weird. Most of it happens in elongated sequences set to trance music; there are movements where we do nothing but look at Scarlett Johansson's face through a windshield. And yet the movie takes hold of you and makes you pay attention; stylistically it's similar to Lucy, Luc Besson's unintentionally funny action flick starring Johansson, but whereas that was a total catastrophe of a film this is much more disturbing, visceral stuff.

I recommend this, but beware: it isn't for everybody. It's a free watch if you have Amazon Prime.

Comment

• Atari: Game Over

This is a documentary of the digging up of the landfill where Atari supposedly dumped the game ET. There is a great mystique behind whether it is actually there or not. It tells the story of Atari and the people who created the games that brought it great success in the late 70s, early 80s, and then covers the downfall of the company.

Really interesting watch for just at an hour. Especially if you owned an Atari 2600.

Highly recommended.

Comment

• Originally posted by UKHoov View Post
                      Atari: Game Over

This is a documentary of the digging up of the landfill where Atari supposedly dumped the game ET. There is a great mystique behind whether it is actually there or not. It tells the story of Atari and the people who created the games that brought it great success in the late 70s, early 80s, and then covers the downfall of the company.

Really interesting watch for just at an hour. Especially if you owned an Atari 2600.

Highly recommended.
                      I'll definitely be checking that out. I remember getting the 2600 back in 1980. ET was the worst game ever made. Just horrible. Those games got the burial they deserved. I had a game called Yars Revenge and I was addicted to it. I remember seeing a book at Service Merchandise that was nothing but these insane hi scores for every Atari game. I blew that Yars Revenge score out of the water. Excited that my name would be in record books for ALL TIME, I took a polaroid of the screen with a letter to Atari. I never heard back from them. Yeah, I was crushed.
                      Isaiah 5:20

Comment

Atari: Game Over

Highly recommended.
                        I'm interested in this as well.

I used to be a big fan of the show X-Play on G4 and they did quite a few stories about the infamous ET game. Highly interesting pop cultural moment. I'm fascinated not only in the Atari/Nintendo/Sega backstory but also arcades. The idea that people used to go to a room filled with arcade consoles and feed quarters into machines is almost shockingly antiquated now, but it really hasn't been that long ago. I remember hitting our local arcade in Somerset (Pirate's Cove, FTW) regularly up until I was a junior or senior in high school. That was in 1995, so in twenty years there's been a monumental shift in technology and folks' attitudes about gaming. Home consoles are great, but I miss that era.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I'm interested in this as well.

I used to be a big fan of the show X-Play on G4 and they did quite a few stories about the infamous ET game. Highly interesting pop cultural moment. I'm fascinated not only in the Atari/Nintendo/Sega backstory but also arcades. The idea that people used to go to a room filled with arcade consoles and feed quarters into machines is almost shockingly antiquated now, but it really hasn't been that long ago. I remember hitting our local arcade in Somerset (Pirate's Cove, FTW) regularly up until I was a junior or senior in high school. That was in 1995, so in twenty years there's been a monumental shift in technology and folks' attitudes about gaming. Home consoles are great, but I miss that era.

I used to go to the local grocery store where they had Pac Man and Donkey Kong and feed it quarters. Much different times but we thought this was fantastic back then.
                          Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
                            I'll definitely be checking that out. I remember getting the 2600 back in 1980. ET was the worst game ever made. Just horrible. Those games got the burial they deserved. I had a game called Yars Revenge and I was addicted to it. I remember seeing a book at Service Merchandise that was nothing but these insane hi scores for every Atari game. I blew that Yars Revenge score out of the water. Excited that my name would be in record books for ALL TIME, I took a polaroid of the screen with a letter to Atari. I never heard back from them. Yeah, I was crushed.
                            A big part of the movie is about the guy who created Yars Revenge, IIRC, he was the one who made ET. Its insane once you find out all that went into creating ET, the time constraints, the amount of money (for the time of course) and even Spielberg having to give it a final greenlight.

Very interesting stuff.

And Will...

My brother and I used to play Double Dragon together in the back of the Shell Station in Jamestown. Whole days were lost in that room. We would get to the end and he would beat me every...single...time...I still hold it against him.

Also if you all are readers, there is a young adult novel Ready Player One by Earnest Cline (filled with 80's nostalgia). Ernest, in the movie, being a child of the times borrows a Delorian from George R.R. Martin to go see what they dig up in the desert.
                            Last edited by UKHoov; 09-22-2015, 03:14 PM. Reason: Additional thought.

Comment

Also if you all are readers, there is a young adult novel Ready Player One by Earnest Cline (filled with 80's nostalgia).
                              Very good book. If you have a hardcover copy you'll see my name in the front. The publisher sent it to me to blurb long before it was published.

Spielberg is making the movie.

Comment

• Tales of the Grim Sleeper.

This is an HBO documentary made by the great Nick Broomfield.

I watch a lot of movies and outside of Fincher and maybe Christopher Nolan, Nick Broomfield is probably my favorite filmmaker. I think I love his work because he's absolutely fearless. He'll ask anything, go anywhere, do anything for the sake of the film. In this movie there's a scene where you can hear gunshots in the distance--the movie is shot in South Central LA--and Broomfield doesn't even flinch.

The movie is about a serial killer who may have murdered hundreds of black prostitutes from the '80s until around 2010. Instead of making a straightforward crime documentary, Broomfield looks at the area itself, at the people who live there and the poverty and squalor of the place. There are all kinds of interesting theories about why the killer wasn't caught, but the most intriguing one has to do with the fact that the LAPD intentionally didn't tell the residents that a serial killer was on the loose because the victims were expendable. The killer was able to work for decades.

A harrowing, at times unhinged movie about a forgotten people. There's a fascinating scene where Broomfield interviews a black attorney and she says that she tells her son if there's an emergency, don't call 911 because if you're black, the situation is going to end horribly for you even if you're the victim. In this way the movie dovetails neatly with some of the stuff that's happened recently w/r/t police violence. Highly recommended.
                                Last edited by Will Lavender; 09-23-2015, 08:06 AM.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X