Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Heaven
    replied
    Finally got around to John Wick 3. Goodness what a movie! I love this series and while it's slightly not as good as the first two, this is still an action movie lover's dream. Keanu Reeves has cemented himself as THE action star of today in my opinion. Halle Berry kicks some butt in this as well. It's mindless action fun. The knife throwing scene was my favorite. See this movie if you love your action movies over the top. The attention to detail in regards to reloading is unmatched. Just a very smart action movie series. Can't wait for part 4.

Leave a comment:

• KCKUKFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
    And KC has a toddler around the same age as I do. How on earth do you find the time?!
    I work from home and my shift is Friday-Monday 6:30-5:30. So I have Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday off to watch baby (and save on childcare costs). On most Tuesdays, the baby's grandparents want her for a few hours in the day. So I essentially get every Tuesday without baby or wife to do whatever I want. Usually that manifests in a lot of golf, reading, and visits to the movie theater. That list comes from a few months worth of Tuesdays.

When movie theaters don't work, "other means" certainly do, and since I work from home, I can watch all the movies/TV shows I want on my personal computer while I work simultaneously on my work computer (which I'm doing right now, actually).
    Last edited by KCKUKFan; 09-07-2019, 09:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Heaven
    replied
    A lot of time passes between KCUKFANs reviews. You'd be surprised when you can sneak in a movie. I'm betting there are "other means" besides the cinema. That's how I do it.
    Love his reviews as they usually line up with my thinking. He has good taste.
    Last edited by Blue Heaven; 09-06-2019, 04:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight Schrute
    replied
    And KC has a toddler around the same age as I do. How on earth do you find the time?!

Leave a comment:

• Spiritof96
    replied
    Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post
    Since I'm here, I might as well give two-word reviews for every movie I've seen since the last time I did this:

Always Be My Baby - too cutesy.
    The Perfection - goofy.
    Escape Room - surprisingly decent.
    Glass - underwhelming.
    Cold Pursuit - Coen rip-off.
    Under The Silver Lake - slow.
    Long Shot - funny enough.
    John Wick 3 - friggin awesome.
    Brightburn - shockingly underrated.
    Booksmart - Superbad-with-girls.
    Godzilla 2 - already forgotten.
    Rocketman - Betterthan Rhapsody.
    Dark Phoenix - zzzzzzzz...
    Shaft - awful.
    Toy Story 4 - perfection.
    Annabelle Comes Home - boo.
    Crawl - wicked.
    Stuber - stupid.
    Midsommar - trash.
    That's a lot of movies...

Leave a comment:

• KCKUKFan
    replied
    "IT Chapter Two" has been getting some mixed critical responses, and after seeing it, I can see why. However, I loved almost every second. It was a big, dumb, flawed movie, but like the first one, it was a shamelessly entertaining jack-in-the-box haunted funhouse popcorn movie. It was nearly three hours, but it flew by for me. While it was never particularly scary, the movie used its bigger budget to create a bonkers creature feature that owes almost everything to flicks like "The Thing." It also wasn't afraid to get weird with it as it moved towards the (batshit insane) climax. Not as weird as the novel, which was borderline unfilmable, but still much better than the "beat Pennywise with sticks" thing that the first movie pulled. See this if you're a fan of Stephen King, a fan of well-made popcorn entertainment, or a fan of the first film. It certainly wasn't a perfect movie, but I really enjoyed it. Side note: the pacing was a little wonky in this film, but seeing as how a full movie (almost 90 minutes) was stripped from the original cut to make it accessible for general audiences, that makes sense. I'm guessing most of the pacing problems will be fixed when the much-talked-about director's cut comes out. There are already countless screen shots of stuff that was stripped from the theatrical release floating (heh-heh) around the internet right now, including stuff in the trailer that wasn't in the movie.

Also, kudos to Bill Hader for... well, being Bill Hader. I will watch that guy in anything.
    Last edited by KCKUKFan; 09-07-2019, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied

Did you like "The Witch"? I couldnt stand that movie.

With that said, this movie has me intrigued.
    Yeah, I really liked it...although "like" probably isn't the right word. It creeped me out and I thought it was unique, two things I'm always looking for in a horror movie.

Leave a comment:

• KCKUKFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
    Did you like "The Witch"? I couldnt stand that movie.

With that said, this movie has me intrigued.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    Yes please.

Leave a comment:

• Catatonic
    replied
    In other film news, "It: Chapter Two" clocks in at a whopping two hours and fifty minutes, which might be a record for a horror movie. There is also word that the director will be working on a five and-a-half hour directors cut, where he re-edits and combines the two flicks to match the format of the novel. Sounds pretty ambitious, to me.
    It's barely a horror movie but "Kwaidan" is over 3 hours (and feels like 10).

I am excited for It 2. First movie was great and the adult casting seems like perfection.

Leave a comment:

• KCKUKFan
    replied

I think they need to be goofy because the whole damn concept is goofy as hell.

If there's no comedy then the whole thing doesn't work...unless you play it like Christopher Nolan did, and fans would tire of that style after three or four films.

I like them when they get the line between comedy and action right and play the whole thing sort of like Star Wars did forty years ago. They're in no way meant to be taken that seriously (yet people obviously do).
    DC and Zack Snyder tried to go the "serious, dour, dark, depressing" route, and quickly realized that without an ace in the hole like Christopher Nolan or the scripts to make it work, it will be a disaster. Which is why their more recent attempts, like "Shazam!" and "Aquaman," have been considerably funnier and lighter, and not coincidentally much more successful.

Leave a comment:

• KCKUKFan
    replied
    Since I'm here, I might as well give two-word reviews for every movie I've seen since the last time I did this:

Always Be My Baby - too cutesy.
    The Perfection - goofy.
    Escape Room - surprisingly decent.
    Glass - underwhelming.
    Cold Pursuit - Coen rip-off.
    Under The Silver Lake - slow.
    Long Shot - funny enough.
    John Wick 3 - friggin awesome.
    Brightburn - shockingly underrated.
    Booksmart - Superbad-with-girls.
    Godzilla 2 - already forgotten.
    Rocketman - Betterthan Rhapsody.
    Dark Phoenix - zzzzzzzz...
    Shaft - awful.
    Toy Story 4 - perfection.
    Annabelle Comes Home - boo.
    Crawl - wicked.
    Stuber - stupid.
    Midsommar - trash.
    Last edited by KCKUKFan; 07-29-2019, 03:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied

I also thought "Thor: Ragnarok" was insufferable. I almost walked out numerous times. Maybe my least favorite Marvel movie; I just wasn't on the goofy, colorful wavelength of that flick, at all. I didn't like "Black Panther," much either. So it would seem that I'm more of a fan of the Marvel flicks that other people don't care as much for, and vice versa. The cream of the crop, in my opinion: "Winter Soldier," "Ant-Man," "Homecoming," "Avengers 1," "Doctor Strange," "Iron Man," and "Infinity War/Endgame." The rest I can take or leave.

But, yeah, you're right. Most of these movies are assembly line identical, save from individual character tics, which also explains my fatigue.
    I think they need to be goofy because the whole damn concept is goofy as hell.

If there's no comedy then the whole thing doesn't work...unless you play it like Christopher Nolan did, and fans would tire of that style after three or four films.

I like them when they get the line between comedy and action right and play the whole thing sort of like Star Wars did forty years ago. They're in no way meant to be taken that seriously (yet people obviously do).

Leave a comment:

• KCKUKFan
    replied
    In other film news, "It: Chapter Two" clocks in at a whopping two hours and fifty minutes, which might be a record for a horror movie. There is also word that the director will be working on a five and-a-half hour directors cut, where he re-edits and combines the two flicks to match the format of the novel. Sounds pretty ambitious, to me.

Leave a comment:

• KCKUKFan
    replied
    Spider-Verse is probably the closest thing to a masterpiece that's been made from comic books and is on a completely different level than 90% of the live action stuff, but I liked that Far From Home didn't get too awfully deep into the Avengers stuff. It was so fast-moving you really don't have time for a lot of explanation/exposition.

Reminded me of Thor: Ragnarok a little, though not as funny.

I see very little difference between any of these movies in terms of their quality. They're virtually the same film just tinkered with a little. I think Avengers got a little too bloated with all the storylines to tie up, but otherwise I think they're all solid action movies that are worth the crazy ticket price.
    I also thought "Thor: Ragnarok" was insufferable. I almost walked out numerous times. Maybe my least favorite Marvel movie; I just wasn't on the goofy, colorful wavelength of that flick, at all. I didn't like "Black Panther," much either. So it would seem that I'm more of a fan of the Marvel flicks that other people don't care as much for, and vice versa. The cream of the crop, in my opinion: "Winter Soldier," "Ant-Man," "Homecoming," "Avengers 1," "Doctor Strange," "Iron Man," and "Infinity War/Endgame." The rest I can take or leave.

But, yeah, you're right. Most of these movies are assembly line identical, save from individual character tics, which also explains my fatigue.

Leave a comment:

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
Working...
X