Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Heaven
    replied
    Finally got around to watching Parasite after it being suggested daily on hulu. I LOVED it. Fantastic movie that has a lot of genres going on. I remember calling BS when it won Best Picture. I see why now.

Leave a comment:

• 40bill
    replied
    Lol...actually wonder if the relationships portrayed between the founding fathers aren't more accurate than the stately portraits and flowery write ups we read.
    it's easy to forget how hard these guys work. Chris Jackson stated he played Washington eight times a week for a year...said it took 2 years for his voice to normalize. Daveed Diggs was in an interview with Colbert. Colbert said he could watch the show a hundred times. Diggs just shook his head and said he had played Lafayette/Jefferson 520 times, so he was in no hurry to do it again.

Leave a comment:

• KCKUKFan
    replied
    Hamilton is an absolute masterpiece. I had heard the soundtrack album numerous times before (and enjoyed it), but seeing the show this weekend put the pieces together.

As a fan of hip-hop music, I adore how slavishly Miranda worked to stay true to that genre, while also managing to root the show completely in musical theater. Brilliant performances, brilliant storytelling, and some of the best music I've ever heard. It's worth every bit praise that it has received.

Leave a comment:

• 40bill
    replied
    Believe it or not, watched Hamilton this past week. Anyone that can make Alexander Hamilton and Burr halfway entertaining is genius.
    Tremendous talent. 'Washinton on your side' keeps rolling in the mind. Along with a about ten other tunes.

had to listen to some Stones, Three Dog Night and Seger to get the Hamilton ear worms out.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    Wife and I watched 365 Days on Netflix last night, which has become a kind of bizarre sensation on Netflix.

This movie is spectacularly terrible. It reminded me a little of the Shannon Tweed NC-17 stuff we used to rent back in high school when my friend worked at the local video store. But you get the feeling with 365 Days that the filmmakers were going for something earnest, and it takes you a bit--at least 30 minutes of running time--before you realize that you're in the hands of maniacal idiots. This movie is a cross between a '90s music video, softcore Beauty and the Beast, the worst mob movie you've ever seen, with a little 50 Shades of Gray shamelessly thrown in. It has at least eight inexplicable scenes that make absolutely no sense at all, spends at least 1/4 of its running time with the camera hovering disturbingly on the lead actress's face as she stares off into the middle distance, and its ending arrives like the screenwriter just gave up. It's almost historically bad and arguably one of the three or four worst movies I've ever seen...but damnit I recommend it for couples who might want to just stare at the screen for a couple of hours and laugh a bit before bed.

Leave a comment:

• Downes Van Zandt
    replied
    Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
    I'm assuming The Green Knight is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, which if you were an English major you likely ended up absolutely hating by the time you graduated college. I think I read Sir Gawain like three times at Centre.

The movie looks nothing like I imagined it in my head.

Maybe A24 will do a version of The Canterbury Tales next.
    Yeah, it’s the Gawain story. As an English major, I actually wrote a pretty decent paper on it in a British lit class.

I’m with you, though, in that I never pictured anything like this film when I read it. This appears to be a weird, psychedelic take, and I’m here for it.

Spare me The Canterbury Tales, though. Ugh.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    I'm assuming The Green Knight is Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, which if you were an English major you likely ended up absolutely hating by the time you graduated college. I think I read Sir Gawain like three times at Centre.

The movie looks nothing like I imagined it in my head.

Maybe A24 will do a version of The Canterbury Tales next.

Leave a comment:

• Downes Van Zandt
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post

Looks pretty good. Never heard of it till this thread. I like King Arthur movies. Was a HUGE Excalibur fan when I was a kid. I loved that movie.
    I’ve never felt like Arthurian legends have been adequately presented in film. Everything about King Arthur and Co. seems chock full of theater potential, but every attempt that comes to mind seems cheap and corny.

The Green Knight may buck that trend.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Heaven
    replied
    Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

I’m very excited about The Green Knight. Checks a lot of boxes for me.
    Looks pretty good. Never heard of it till this thread. I like King Arthur movies. Was a HUGE Excalibur fan when I was a kid. I loved that movie.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Heaven
    replied
    Originally posted by Catatonic View Post
    I watched the Chernobyl miniseries over the weekend. A very different situation, but the Soviet government's inept trivializing of a disaster in real time is infuriatingly familiar. Very well made series.
    GREAT series, imo.

Leave a comment:

• Downes Van Zandt
    replied
    Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
    I respected the weirdness of mother! but I don't know if I can say that I "liked" it. I'm not sure it's a movie anyone could possibly like or enjoy.

That Green Knight thing looks crazy as hell and I have to see it.
    I’m very excited about The Green Knight. Checks a lot of boxes for me.

Leave a comment:

• Catatonic
    replied
    I watched the Chernobyl miniseries over the weekend. A very different situation, but the Soviet government's inept trivializing of a disaster in real time is infuriatingly familiar. Very well made series.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    I respected the weirdness of mother! but I don't know if I can say that I "liked" it. I'm not sure it's a movie anyone could possibly like or enjoy.

That Green Knight thing looks crazy as hell and I have to see it.

Leave a comment:

• KCKUKFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post
    Wife and I just watched mother! and I don’t think I could have liked it any less.
    One of the most unpleasant movies I've ever watched. I walked out of the final fifteen minutes, when I felt like I was about to have a panic attack in the theater. I can't remember ever having such a visceral reaction to a movie.

If that's what Aronofsky was going for, he succeeded.

Leave a comment:

• Downes Van Zandt
    replied
    Wife and I just watched mother! and I don’t think I could have liked it any less.

Leave a comment:

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official Last Movie You Saw Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
Working...
X