Favorite Podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Podcast

Not sure if this crowd is big into podcasts but I have really started getting into them now that I hava a vehicle that syncs to my phone - its so convenient, and everytime I get back in the car it just starts up where it left off when I got out. I listen to much of the KSR stuff as well as a wide variety of others.

My favorites are:

Fine Woodworking - my biggest hobby
    Stuff You Should Know - They cover the gamet and have great chemistry.
    Song Exploder - a unique podcast that breaks a song down and shows how it was created by interviewing the song writer. I dont always like the music, but the stories behind them are how they are made are fascinating most of the time.

I'd love to hear from others so I can expand my library.
    They call me "Thread Killer"

The choices we make today affect the choices we can make tomorrow.

Big podcast fan here.

I like Stuff You Should Know okay, but their banter can be a little tedious. It sounds sometimes like they're reading Wiki articles. Not a huge fan.

Song Exploder is good, but I'm usually more interested in the song than the breakdown.

My favorites:

This American Life. Bar none the best there has ever been.

Radiolab. The second best that there has ever been. They've been slowing down recently but some of the older episodes--check out "The Living Room"--are tremendous.

Serial, Season One. The most addictive podcast I've listened to. I'm looking forward to a rebound for Season Three.

Revisionist History. This is Malcolm Gladwell's new one. The episodes are a little hit and miss, but there are a couple that are outstanding, including one where Gladwell looks at what was really going on in the Toyota stuck accelerator cases of a few years ago.

Reply All. A podcast on technology and some other stuff. The hosts can be annoying, but they've had some fascinating episodes, including a short series where a woman looks into the murder conviction of a blogger in prison, and one where they look at a strange case in Atlanta where a couple was being accused of stealing people's cell phones.

Criminal. If you like stories of true crime this one is highly interesting. The episodes are inventive because they each focus on a different thing. One week they'll interview a bank robber, the next they'll talk about a cold case from 1890. They've kind of slowed down recently like Radiolab, but there are a few old episodes that are top notch.

Mystery Show. This is a short-lived podcast that had six episodes, but in each one the host looks at some small, unexplained mystery--why did a video store close in NYC, for instance--and figures out why it happened. Quirky and funny and strangely emotional. "Belt Buckle" is the magnum opus and one of the finest podcast episodes I've ever heard.

Comment

My ten favorite This American Life episodes if you've not heard it and are looking to get started:

1. "Petty Tyrant." The story of what happens when a sociopath gets involved in the crucial business of a school board. Shocking.

2. Dr. Gilmer and Mr. Hyde." Two doctors, both with the same last name. The young Dr. Gilmer takes over for the old after he's accused of murdering his father, and then begins to investigate the murder. Not sure why this hasn't been turned into a movie.

3. "The Fix is In." The story that was retold in the Matt Damon movie The Informant!

4. "My Big Break." Includes the best TAL mini-story I've heard, about two married comedians who end up on the Ed Sullivan Show on the biggest night in showbiz history.

5. "The House on Loon Lake." Sort of like a true-life Stephen King story.

6. "And the Call Was Coming from the Basement." A Halloween special that's strange, scary, and true.

7. "Return to the Scene of the Crime." The great first story features Mike Birbiglia on car accidents and love.

8. "The Giant Pool of Money." An explanation of the financial crisis for dummies like me.

9. "Heretics." A truly great story of a preacher who comes to believe hell doesn't exist, and the fall-out that happened because of it.

10. "Home Movies." A great opening story about a Jewish kid who wields a movie camera on a holy day.
      Last edited by Will Lavender; 08-17-2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

The Marc Maron WTF podcast is the only one I listen to with any consistency. The first 10 minutes or so can be tedious, but the interviews range from interesting to incredible.

Comment

The Bill Burr Monday Podcast is always hiliarious.

Comment

Not ranked, just numbered...
            1. WTF
            2. Serial
            3. This American Life
            4. Car Talk
            5. Meat Eater
            6. Common Sense w/Dan Carlin
            7. Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
            8. The Infinite Monkey Cage
            9. Note to Self
            10. Planet Money
            11. Slate's Political Gabfest
            12. Snap Judgment
            13. Song Exploder
            14. Welcome to Night Vale

Comment

Skeptiod - Critical thinking podcast. used to debunk pseudo science but ran out of topics so now they do a lot of debunking "stuff that gets repeated a lot" Their classic episodes have newly been put behind a paywall but the content is worth the $5 / month until you get caught up.

The History of England - self explanatory

The History of China - self explanitory

Norman Centuries - History of the other Norman conquests in the Mediterranean. Absolutely TOP NOTCH!

Iron Radio - Strength and Muscle sports - PhDs discussing muscle sport news, research, and strength training topics.

The Finer Points Aviation Podcast - Detailed discussions about the finer points of private piloting and

Let My People Think - Religious - Ravi Zacharias weekly podcast. He is brilliant but once you have heard 20 of his talks he can become a little repetitive.

The Practical Pistol Show - Ben Stoeger's podcast about the sport of practical pistol shooting. Filthy, but some good content.

I listen to others but these are my favs.
              Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Malcolm Gladwell just put up the last episode of the first season of Revisionist History. It was on political satire and very interesting. Gets into a lot of British and Israeli satire I'd never heard of.

And here's one I forgot above:

You Must Remember This.

This is a podcast about old Hollywood, but what's interesting is that the host does a series about Charles Manson. There are thirteen or so episodes in this series, and it's riveting. She weaves Hollywood at that time in with the murders, and if you're interested in America in the '60s and '70s this is perfect.

Here's the first episode:

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcas...manson-murders

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                  Malcolm Gladwell just put up the last episode of the first season of Revisionist History. It was on political satire and very interesting. Gets into a lot of British and Israeli satire I'd never heard of.

And here's one I forgot above:

You Must Remember This.

This is a podcast about old Hollywood, but what's interesting is that the host does a series about Charles Manson. There are thirteen or so episodes in this series, and it's riveting. She weaves Hollywood at that time in with the murders, and if you're interested in America in the '60s and '70s this is perfect.

Here's the first episode:

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcas...manson-murders
                  I have never gotten around to listening to Gladwell's podcast. I like him. He is one of the better guests on the Bill Simmons Podcast.

You Must Remember This. seems really interesting, I've never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

I have never gotten around to listening to Gladwell's podcast. I like him. He is one of the better guests on the Bill Simmons Podcast.
                    There were eight episodes in the first season, I think.

One of them was tangentially about taking Woodrow Wilson's name off the graduate school at Princeton. (The episode is called "Generous Orthodoxy.") It was too left for me, so I doubt you'd care for it, lol. I turned it off halfway through.

There are three or four others though that are highly interesting. One about Wilt Chamberlain's and Rick Barry's free throws. The one about Toyota I mentioned. And one about political satire that's interesting (also left, but focuses more on England and Israel).

My favorite episode though has to do with genius, and he talks about Elvis Costello, Picasso, Cezanne, and the tortured creation of Leonard Cohen's famous song "Hallelujah." Highly interesting.

Comment

There were eight episodes in the first season, I think.

One of them was tangentially about taking Woodrow Wilson's name off the graduate school at Princeton. (The episode is called "Generous Orthodoxy.") It was too left for me, so I doubt you'd care for it, lol. I turned it off halfway through.

There are three or four others though that are highly interesting. One about Wilt Chamberlain's and Rick Barry's free throws. The one about Toyota I mentioned. And one about political satire that's interesting (also left, but focuses more on England and Israel).

My favorite episode though has to do with genius, and he talks about Elvis Costello, Picasso, Cezanne, and the tortured creation of Leonard Cohen's famous song "Hallelujah." Highly interesting.
                      I have heard the Chamberlain one on TAL, it's great. The one about Elvis Costello and Leonard Cohen sounds right up my alley.

I assumed his podcast would digress into leftist politics from time to time; but thanks for the heads up. Tony Kornheiser's show goes the same way every now and again.

I would note that despite my political convictions, one of my top 5 favorite Costello songs is entirely about delighting in Margret Thatcher's eventual death.
                      Last edited by Spiritof96; 08-20-2016, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Mystery Show. This is a short-lived podcast that had six episodes, but in each one the host looks at some small, unexplained mystery--why did a video store close in NYC, for instance--and figures out why it happened. Quirky and funny and strangely emotional. "Belt Buckle" is the magnum opus and one of the finest podcast episodes I've ever heard.
                        I just listened to the Mystery show "Belt Buckle" episode - you were right on about it. Also listened to the "Lunch Box" episode and liked it as well.

It appears that there is intention to have more episodes beyond the six but no real indication of when that will happen.

They call me "Thread Killer"

The choices we make today affect the choices we can make tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by luukfan View Post

I just listened to the Mystery show "Belt Buckle" episode - you were right on about it. Also listened to the "Lunch Box" episode and liked it as well.

It appears that there is intention to have more episodes beyond the six but no real indication of when that will happen.

You know, after I posted in this thread I actually Googled the show and found a Reddit thread where one of the producers was commenting. She suggested that they were in the process of making more episodes and that the delay was due to it taking a lot of time to solve these mysteries.

I liked how "Belt Buckle" sort of started out as one thing, this strange little thing about a random item, but by the end it was something else entirely. The best podcasts are those that take a "small" issue and transform it over the course of the story into something that's as big as life.

The episode "Vanity Plate" is also really interesting.

Comment

Radiolab has an episode called "Goat on a Cow" that's very similar.

Starts small. Then changes. Then sort of surprises you. And then, at the end, you're totally in awe of how the story was nothing like what you expected it to be.

Comment

This American Life has a classic story on this week's episode.

It's the first one about the Louisiana lawyer. One of the best I've ever heard on the show, and absolutely perfect for Hollywood.

Comment

Favorite Podcast

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X