No announcement yet.

Lets Eat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germantown is my favorite area in Louisville. The bar and food scene is bonkers. I've had Eiderdown and Goss Avenue Cafe and both were great. Been wanting to try Lydia House forever. I've heard alot of Old Hickory from people at my work. Was and I think still is a popular hangout for sheet metal workers. Going to have to stop in there one day.
    Last edited by uglyduckling; 05-11-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by uglyduckling View Post
      Germantown is my favorite area in Louisville. The bar and food scene is bonkers. I've had Eiderdown and Goss Avenue Cafe and both were great. Been wanting to try Lydia House forever. I've heard alot of Old Hickory from people at my work. Was and I think still is a popular hangout for sheet metal workers. Going to have to stop in there one day.
      We like Germantown too. Been a while. Try to make the spring and fall beer walk. Might have to get there soon

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post

You're in my neighborhood!! The Post used to be a VFW post years ago, hence the name. I used to vote there lol. The Schnitzelburg/Germantown-Paristown neighborhoods are booming. Lots and lots of young folks are moving in and doing a great job of renovating the old hood. Other restaraunts in this area are the historic Check's Café, Monnik Micro Brewery, Lydia House(the old Flabby's), Eiderdown, Finn's and Goss Ave. Café across from The Post. Lydia House(Hickory and Lydia) is especially good. Best Reuben sandwich in Louisville bar none. It's a hipster type of place, and the owner is a wonderful young lady who is a complete food freak. Cheap drinks and ice cold beer can be had across the street at Old Hickory Inn. Great joint. The owner and I went to high school together. We've known each other 47 years. Stop in sometime and ask for ol' Uncle Dave. If I'm there, I'll buy the first round!!
        You had me at Rueben!!! Gotta get there for sure.

Comment

Germantown is my favorite area in Louisville. The bar and food scene is bonkers. I've had Eiderdown and Goss Avenue Cafe and both were great. Been wanting to try Lydia House forever. I've heard alot of Old Hickory from people at my work. Was and I think still is a popular hangout for sheet metal workers. Going to have to stop in there one day.
          we have a lot of friends and family that live in Germantown...we hang out at Checks all the time......we used to go to Flabbys on Sunday for their fried chicken and watch basketball...miss that place

Comment

You're in my neighborhood!! The Post used to be a VFW post years ago, hence the name. I used to vote there lol. The Schnitzelburg/Germantown-Paristown neighborhoods are booming. Lots and lots of young folks are moving in and doing a great job of renovating the old hood. Other restaraunts in this area are the historic Check's Café, Monnik Micro Brewery, Lydia House(the old Flabby's), Eiderdown, Finn's and Goss Ave. Café across from The Post. Lydia House(Hickory and Lydia) is especially good. Best Reuben sandwich in Louisville bar none. It's a hipster type of place, and the owner is a wonderful young lady who is a complete food freak. Cheap drinks and ice cold beer can be had across the street at Old Hickory Inn. Great joint. The owner and I went to high school together. We've known each other 47 years. Stop in sometime and ask for ol' Uncle Dave. If I'm there, I'll buy the first round!!
            Checks is our favorite.....eaten at Finn's and the Post.....and can't forget about Flabbys...wish it was still there

Comment

Had Check's for the first time the other day. Just did more to increase my love for all things Germantown.

Comment

• Had planned on going to the Germantown Blues Festival this weekend. Not gonna happen. Have always had a good time. We will get back down there on a weekend soon.

Comment

• For supper last night, grilled steaks and had baked potatoes (no potato for me) and a salad. Made individual peach cobblers for dessert. Better for portion control

Comment

Had Check's for the first time the other day. Just did more to increase my love for all things Germantown.
                    LOL!!! Glad you liked it. My father(who was raised in Schnitzelburg) was a doctor and he graduated from med school around 1955 or 1956. His first office was in the duplex directly across the street from Check's(left hand entrance). The first time I went to Checks's was 1959 which doesn't seem possible lol. As a matter of fact, my grandfather(very German) was born in a house behind the old St. Joe's in 1897. His grandmother, a German immigrant, lived at Barrett and Oak. My roots in Germantown(both neighborhoods) goes back many, many years.

Comment

• Any gardeners out there??? I put up 9lbs. of beets two weeks ago. Roasted those guys and pickled them. First time I ever ate a roasted beet lol. A little sea salt and evoo and baked for about 40 minutes. Spectacular!!! Definitely growing a fall crop. Dozens of beautiful carrots. I eat them like candy. Harvesting and freezing the rest of my crop tomorrow before the rain hits I hope. Dug up 39lbs. of Kennebec potatoes this morning before sunrise all from 14 plants. 2.79 lbs./plant. Tomatoes look stressed, which is normal for the varieties that I plant, but they're full of fruit and blossoms. Beautiful baseball size white sweet onions. Butternut squash. Cayenne, poblano, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, (get it??), oregano, basil, beautiful romaine. Next weekend planting seeds here at the ranch for cabbage and kale for this fall.

Comment

Lets Eat

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X