QB argument thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB argument thread

I think the depth chart thread should be about that.

So I think we should have different starters and the guys should both play in games.

The easy part, at least for me doesn't involve either. There is a third. The QB spot in the Wildcat isn't exactly a QB, but I think Snell should play QB in very short yardage situations and almost the whole game against tUSC, cause run over them all day/night and Sunday those buggers.

Now for the hard part. Hoak or Wilson?

For Wilson to throw well, imho, he'll need a LOT of time and fairly open and good WRs. Hoak won't be as needy for either, but he won't be like a great Arena QB. If a defense completely breaks the OL, Wilson will be better.

Against teams where our ball catchers, gotta include the TEs, not as much as most people would like due to keeping them healthy concerns, but they aren't NOT there, either, and OL are better than their secondary then it doesn't matter a lot who starts.

Against the middlin' teams I think Hoak should start. It's a more balanced attack to have Benny and Co and a solid, but normal, passing game. If it doesn't work, put in Wilson.

Against the roughest teams I think Wilson should start. He should be able to survive a severe pass rush better. Might be able to force the safeties ALL the way up with his wheels, and that would allow him to get one over, maybe. If it don't work, Hoak.

But John, you are such an idiot! If you have more than one QB you have none!

How'd that work out for the Packers last year?

I see it like having a 2011 Tebow, even though Wilson has way more speed and less power, the effect might be the same, and like a Tony Romo, on the same team.
    Last edited by johnkyblue; 07-11-2018, 09:50 PM.

I know what they say about 'two quarterbacks' but I don't mind playing both. If coaches play these guys in the right situation, I think that is a good decision. Let's just say we start out that way... Gunnar gets to throw while Terry keeps the defenses honest. Starting the season playing two gets both players time on the field while a clear starter will undoubtedly show himself in time.

Comment

Unless Hoak is a MUCH better passer/decision maker or Wilson is just broken as a passer/decision maker, you play Wilson.

Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
        Unless Hoak is a MUCH better passer/decision maker or Wilson is just broken as a passer/decision maker, you play Wilson.

I agree. I think coaches Stoops and Gran prefer the RPO off. to the Pro-Style. If they preferred the Pro-Style, I'm sure they could have have found a good drop back style of passer for insurance and to give Hoak some competition had they have wanted to do so.
        Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

Comment

But that assumes Hoak can't run the RPO. It's been run well by guys with less skill running.

Comment

Originally posted by johnkyblue View Post
            But that assumes Hoak can't run the RPO. It's been run well by guys with less skill running.
            Let's just say he's not the runner Wilson is.
            Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by johnkyblue View Post
              RPO (Run Pass Option) is the choice between a QB throwing to a receiver or handing off to a RB. It has nothing to do with the QB running the ball. However the QB read option or QB mesh has everything to do with the ability of a QB to run the ball capably as his keeping the ball and running is one of the two options.

In our offense, we combine the two concepts in a majority of plays.

Run Pass Option

QB Mesh

As to the OP. The distance between Gunnar and Terry was not as wide in the spring as it should have been given this was Gunnar's 3rd spring at UK in this offense and it was Terry's 3rd month in the program.
              Last edited by RV; 07-14-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RV View Post

RPO (Run Pass Option) is the choice between a QB throwing to a receiver or handing off to a RB. It has nothing to do with the QB running the ball. However the QB read option or QB mesh has everything to do with the ability of a QB to run the ball capably as his keeping the ball and running is one of the two options.

In our offense, we combine the two concepts in a majority of plays.

Run Pass Option

QB Mesh

As to the OP. The distance between Gunnar and Terry was not as wide in the spring as it should have been given this was Gunnar's 3rd spring at UK in this offense and it was Terry's 3rd month in the program.
                Thanks RV for some clarification on that.
                i also appreciate the last paragraph....although I though Hoak was clearly ahead because of what I thought was being a more efficient passer, I now find that perhaps I am mistaken, given what you pointed out.
                I AM a little concerned with Wilson's accuracy....it wasn't stupendous in JUCO....but that also has to do with blocking, route running, receiver quality and opposing defense. Hinshaw has a lot of ability to teach and train.

Another elephant in the room is the leadership ability of any of the quarterbacks. Numbers wise, White was a much better quarterback than Staubach. Didn't seem to translate as well though.

Gonna be intriguing.

Comment

Disagree that there wasn't separation. I guess it depends on how you define it. There was clearly significant differences.
                  Last edited by johnkyblue; 07-14-2018, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I like Hoak. He's a "gamer." Wilson flashed some moves showing speed and quickness that made me do some double-takes. "Wow" comes to mind. Maybe we are in an enviable position of having two QBs that can win games? I'm not overlooking Clark. He's got an NFL arm imho. The only way I might be able to decide is to watch when the bullets start flying in the first game. Is that a "bad thing?" Not for me. SEC defenses chew up QB's like popcorn. Wins don't rest on the back of any single player.

Comment

I just looked up last season stats. I see no completions or attempts for Mr. Hoak? How great can this guy be, when they refused to use him, even when the starter had his arm about falling off and couldn't throw the ball down the field, unless it was a floater? If the coaches had no confidence in him then, how has that changed? I know he didn't red shirt last season, that was the season before that one.

Comment

Originally posted by boomdaddy View Post
                        I just looked up last season stats. I see no completions or attempts for Mr. Hoak? How great can this guy be, when they refused to use him, even when the starter had his arm about falling off and couldn't throw the ball down the field, unless it was a floater? If the coaches had no confidence in him then, how has that changed? I know he didn't red shirt last season, that was the season before that one.
                        Hoak was third team last year behind Barker.

Comment

Being behind Barker doesn't give me much confidence in him. But you never know.....
                          Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

I think all the coaches were pulling every idea they could and every chance they could to get Barker back to the same he was pre-injury.
                            sorry it didn't work for lots of reasons.

Comment

We NEED a passer not a runner back there at QB. If we are to ever beat ANY of the big boys in the SEC we need a guy that can make the clutch throw in the critical moment, not somebody trying to out run an SEC (NFL Caliber) linebacker, who is probably faster than he is. We need a Tim Couch, not saying Hoak is but I know Wilson isn’t. IMO you start Hoak and see what he can do, MUCH higher potential ceiling than you get with Wilson. Our receiver corps being so poor doesn’t help, ranked by experts last or next to last in conference. Maybe or hapless O-Coordinator will finally learn how to properly use the tight end, one can hope at least.

Comment

QB argument thread

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X