QB argument thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
    I want better q.b. play but with Hoak I’m not sure you gain enough accuracy to make it worth giving up the run threat and deep shot on play action threat.
    Is he any better at avoiding the sack?
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

I doubt he would have been Saturday.
      John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

From the very limited sample size I have seen, I don't think so. I think he would be dead meat in "predictable pass"...
        Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Terry Wilson can do the job at QB, as long as he gives the ball to his RBs the majority of the time and the OC doesn't ask him to win a game with his arm. If there is a team with a weak pass defense, left on the schedule, maybe let him pass more in that game. I do think he tried to keep the ball for himself to much and he just doesn't seem to be a guy who gets yards in traffic.

He was also sliding 3 or 4 yards before the defender got close to him on a few plays, leaving valuable real estate on the table. I am sure he was coached to do that. I don't want him hurt, but I would like to see him gain 5 or 6 yards on a scramble instead of 1 or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by boomdaddy View Post
            Terry Wilson can do the job at QB, as long as he gives the ball to his RBs the majority of the time and the OC doesn't ask him to win a game with his arm. If there is a team with a weak pass defense, left on the schedule, maybe let him pass more in that game. I do think he tried to keep the ball for himself to much and he just doesn't seem to be a guy who gets yards in traffic.

He was also sliding 3 or 4 yards before the defender got close to him on a few plays, leaving valuable real estate on the table. I am sure he was coached to do that. I don't want him hurt, but I would like to see him gain 5 or 6 yards on a scramble instead of 1 or 2.
            He definitely should have sold out to get that first down in OT.

Comment

I would make the assumption if he were taught to slide it was to keep from fumbling on contact.
              From what we have seen and heard from CMS avoiding contact is not in his vocabulary. I would bet good money Wilson will have these situations addressed with him these two weeks, and whether he is really bought in to Stoops physical football plan.
              Coach was REALLY clear that there were gonna have to be a lot of things looked at.

Dunno about Gunnar and the sacks. Definitely not as mobile as Terry. Seems to have a quicker release.
              Coaches know a lot more than I about best chances to succeed....and let's not forget build.
              Last edited by 40bill; 10-08-2018, 01:58 PM.

Comment

If they stick with Wilson he's going to have to give his body up a little more to get those first downs.

His unwillingness--or maybe his lack of awareness--to get to the marker on those possessions, particularly the one in OT, was massive.

UK *might* be able to win 10 with pedestrian QB play like that. But you can't have pedestrian QB play and a soft mentality at the same time.

Comment

The biggest problem with this whole argument is the coaching staff simply refuses to play the other guy. There is no sample to speak of to know WHAT our backup can do. I don’t really understand it, unless the staff is simply determined to avoid a QB controversy at any cost. When a QB can’t move the club and for all intents and purposes Wilson has gone 6 quarters without doing so, explain to me why you wouldn’t throw the other guy in there and see what he can do. Looks a lot like stubbornness and ego of the staff to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jload View Post
                    The biggest problem with this whole argument is the coaching staff simply refuses to play the other guy. There is no sample to speak of to know WHAT our backup can do. I don’t really understand it, unless the staff is simply determined to avoid a QB controversy at any cost. When a QB can’t move the club and for all intents and purposes Wilson has gone 6 quarters without doing so, explain to me why you wouldn’t throw the other guy in there and see what he can do. Looks a lot like stubbornness and ego of the staff to me.
                    Because they see "the other guy" in practice every day and are intimately familiar with his limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Jload View Post
                      Not totally true. IIRC, Houck has played much more this season than last year, and he's shown both strengths and weaknesses when he did play. So they do play him when possible, but they're going to go with the best possible.
                      John 3:3

Comment

QB argument thread

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X