No announcement yet.

When is the last time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve been listening to UK fans say we can’t compete at the highest level of SEC for 40 years, anyone who suggests we can gets shouted down as delusional. It REALLY is part of the problem. As for Stoops raising our game , from the Joker era, then yes, but are we better than we were during Brooks tenure I don’t think so. About the same on the field, and I like the type of players Brooks recruited better, much more speed. I’m not saying Stoops is failing here, just not taking us where we want to go. It IS possible, ask KSt before Snyder or Miami in the 60’ s or a host of other schools that were poor at football for years until they hired the right guy and had the right attitude and became winners. UK COULD become a force in football, doubt we will because there are too many folks that are perfectly satisfied with a 6 or7 win season and losing a bowl game.

Comment

Originally posted by RV View Post
      The SEC is 'down'. Down from what? Having 6 teams in the final top 10 in 2012? Heck yeah it's down from there. That was crazy and that's not normal but some of you act like that's normal. In 2013 the SEC had 7 in the top final top 25 but again, that's not normal. What's normal is the SEC finishing with 5 or 6 teams in the top 25.

2003 - 5 teams top 25 (Brooks UK 4-8, 1-7)
      2004 - 6 (UK 2-9, 1-7)
      2005 - 5 (UK 3-8, 2-6)
      2006 - 6 (UK 8-5, 4-4)
      2007 - 6 (UK 8-5, 3-5)
      2008 - 5 (UK 7-6, 2-6)
      2009 - 3 (UK 7-6, 3-5)
      2010 - 8 (Joker UK 6-7, 2-6)
      2011 - 5 (UK 5-7, 2-6)
      2012 - 6 (UK 2-10, 0-8)
      2013 - 7 (Stoops UK 2-10, 0-8)
      2014 - 7 (UK 5-7, 2-6)
      2015 - 5 (UK 5-7, 2-6)
      2016 - 5 (UK 7-6, 4-4)
      2017 - 5 (UK 7-6, 4-4)

I'm not going to change any minds. I don't care about changing any minds but to say UK getting to 7 wins, 4-4 in the SEC is mediocre?!?!

Mediocre;
      1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate:
      2. not satisfactory; poor; inferior:
      Well I won't say that stance is mediocre but frankly it is ridiculous given UK's football history, but whatever.

Ridiculous;
      1. causing or worthy of ridicule or derision; absurd; preposterous;
      2. Slang. absurdly or unbelievably good, bad, crazy, etc.
      Stoops ain't gon'na make you happy, I get that so let's be clear. Don't be coming back on here all giddy like a school girl going to the prom after we mash someone we shouldn't or have a great season you certainly didn't expect because it's only Stoops doing it. You see, UK having a winning record with a 4-4 SEC record for two years straight happens so often it's only 'mediocre'.
      I believe the following four statements all to be true and and I'm not conflicted in the least about them:

(1) Coach Stoops has definitely improved the condition of the program over what he had when he took over.
      (2) In my UK football fan life of approximately 45 years, 7 win seasons and 4-4 SEC records have been hard to come by during that time and are nothing to sneeze at.
      (3) The SEC schedule UK has played the last few seasons is no where near as tough as prior Wildcat teams faced
      (4) UK football has left a lot on the table the past few seasons.

The SEC overall is down a little the last couple of years but is still the best league. And that is almost entirely due to the west division. The east, by comparison, has fallen off a cliff. And we haven't taken advantage. Here is how the Cats have fared against ranked SEC teams. The ones we actually played. And margin of defeat matters when you don't get to play many games. Like a college football season.

2003 - 5 ranked - played 2 - Georgia and Tennessee - both rout losses
      2004 - 6 ranked - played 3 - Auburn, Georgia were rout losses. Tennessee was a close loss
      2005 - 5 ranked - played 3 - Auburn, Florida and Georgia - all rout losses
      2006 - 6 ranked - played 4 - Florida and LSU rout losses, beat Georgia, close loss to Tennessee
      2007 - 6 ranked - played 4 - beat LSU, Georgia, Florida and Tennessee were all close losses. The best UK regular season since 1977. And remains so to to this day. Rich Brooks remains the best UK football coach of my fan life.
      2008 - 5 ranked - played 3 - Florida rout loss, Bama and Georgia close losses
      2009 - 3 ranked - played 2 - Bama and Florida, both rout losses
      2010 - 8 ranked (wow) - played 2(?!?) - beat SC, close loss to Auburn (damn you Cam). I said it at the time and I still believe, we should have won the east in Joker's first year. No excuse. You can see the seeds being sown for West>East domination this season.
      2011 - 5 ranked - played 4 - LSU, SC and Florida were all rout losses, Georgia was a close loss
      2012 - 6 ranked - played 4 - Georgia close loss, Florida, SC and Vandy all rout losses. The east's last gasp at competitiveness with the west.
      2013 - 7 ranked - played 2 - SC was a close loss, Missouri was a rout loss
      2014 - 7 ranked - played 2 - Georgia rout loss, Miss St close loss
      2015 - 5 ranked - played 1 - Tennessee rout loss
      2016 - 5 ranked - played 2 - Bama and Florida both rout losses
      2017 - 5 ranked - played 2 - Georgia and Miss St both rout losses

The SEC schedules Stoops has faced ain't as good as the ones every UK coach since at least Claiborne has lined up against. The last three years (at least) the SECE has been at its weakest since the divisional split in 1992. The division crown has been there for the taking (before last year anyway). And we didn't take advantage. Doesn't mean CMS can't lead this team to a new plateau. And I will cheer like hell as we try. But don't try telling me that UK's SEC road hasn't been easier lately. No sale.

Comment

Originally posted by largebluej View Post
        The SEC schedules Stoops has faced ain't as good as the ones every UK coach since at least Claiborne has lined up against. The last three years (at least) the SECE has been at its weakest since the divisional split in 1992. The division crown has been there for the taking (before last year anyway). And we didn't take advantage. Doesn't mean CMS can't lead this team to a new plateau. And I will cheer like hell as we try. But don't try telling me that UK's SEC road hasn't been easier lately. No sale.
        Exactly.

For the first time since I can remember Kentucky has had the chance to play similar teams to us in the East, and we've gotten the occasional dog with South Carolina and Vandy.

Never have we seen this much coaching churn with our East rivals, and that has yielded...a little but not much. The inability to beat Tennessee and Florida in this stretch has been the difference between good and very good. Stoops is still just hovering in the good.

But I think this is the year he may tip it to great. If not then the fan apathy that always clouds UK football will be out in full force at season's end.

Comment

This may sound weird to some, but I would be happier with a 7-5 record that included a win over Florida, than a 8-4 record that had another loss to the Gators and the streak continued. I am more disappointed int eh coaching staff over the loss to Florida, than anything else that happened the rest of the season. A minimum of 7 wins that includes a victory over Florida is what I call a successful season for the Cats. No, there is not a lot of winning tradition in Lexington. It would be nice to see it build and be a mainstay, with the Cats in the middle the majority of the time and breaking out to be better than usual once in awhile.

Comment

Stoops has increased UK's level. I think barring catastropic injuries you can count on 6 or 7 wins. For UK that's pretty good. But to take it to the next level he has to beat good teams consistently. He hasn't done that yet. They are at least to the level of beating teams equal to them like South Carolina. So that's progress.
            Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

When is the last time

Collapse
            Working...
            X