Mark Stoops pay raise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

You will understand if we're all just a bit skeptical.
    I wouldn't expect anything else.

Comment

FWIW the skepticism is that we will continue this type of run. I do think Stoops has raised the baseline of what we should expect here - but we've somewhere between mediocre and awful for basically entire lifetime.

I'm a big fan of Stoops and believe he's the guy - but the last time we won more than 7 regular season games was in 1984 when I was 18 months old, and Jerry Claiborn followed that up with a losing season. The skepticism is earned.
      Last edited by Dwight Schrute; 10-11-2018, 10:09 AM.
      "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

Comment

The skepticism is earned...but this is a totally different team. Totally different defense.

The only reason you would be a skeptic is if you were worried that Kentucky might not have the QB play to win 10 games. If Benny and the o-line are going to be so worn down by the time we get to the end that we take a couple of flukish, only-Kentucky-football-could-pull-that-off type losses.

But just generally I don't think it's fair to hold Kentucky's history up against this team. These guys are special.

Comment

I expect much better QB play by next season--or even late this season. Most likely by Terry just having the experience and comfort level. If not--then it will be the next guy's chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
            The skepticism is earned...but this is a totally different team. Totally different defense.

The only reason you would be a skeptic is if you were worried that Kentucky might not have the QB play to win 10 games. If Benny and the o-line are going to be so worn down by the time we get to the end that we take a couple of flukish, only-Kentucky-football-could-pull-that-off type losses.

But just generally I don't think it's fair to hold Kentucky's history up against this team. These guys are special.
            Oops, wrong thread. Just realized we were still talking about next year.

I think we're going to have trouble next year if you look at what we lose. We lose entire sets of positions and some of their back-ups. Some guys have to make some enormous improvements for us to be back in the hunt again.

But I don't ever expect UK to be in the hunt in the first place unless we back into it. To me 7-win seasons are great and should be celebrated. Which makes this year all the more impressive and tremendous.

If Stoops were able to replicate this then he'll become a Kentucky legend. He may be turning into that anyway.

Comment

There are some posters in the world that point to a 7 win season as mediocre. I canter that playing in the SEC....too much balance again top to bottom.

Comment

If Coach Stoops can continue to produce 7-4 or 8-3 seasons he can stay until retirement & the school officials will be very pleased with the results(me too) I don't really see un getting competitive with UGA & Bama-in football !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
                  There are some posters in the world that point to a 7 win season as mediocre. I canter that playing in the SEC....too much balance again top to bottom.
                  By the standards of college football, 7-5 is mediocre. By Kentucky standards it's a good season - but in the grand scheme it's very mediocre.

Comment

I don't think 7-5 in the SEC is necessarily mediocre.

Problem is, you can't just keep doing it. 7 wins in three or four consecutive seasons and fans get bored.

I tend to think fans would get bored with anything though. We're sort of in a short attention span era. Unless you were getting double digits wins every year then fans are going to sort of become desensitized and start wondering who the next guy is going to be.

This is why UK fans have always been obsessed with playing style and things like that. You can offset 6 or 7 wins if you play a really flashy style--which Stoops obviously doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                      I don't think 7-5 in the SEC is necessarily mediocre.

Problem is, you can't just keep doing it. 7 wins in three or four consecutive seasons and fans get bored.

I tend to think fans would get bored with anything though. We're sort of in a short attention span era. Unless you were getting double digits wins every year then fans are going to sort of become desensitized and start wondering who the next guy is going to be.

This is why UK fans have always been obsessed with playing style and things like that. You can offset 6 or 7 wins if you play a really flashy style--which Stoops obviously doesn't.
                      The problem with this is that 7-5, ESPECIALLY, in the SEC, means you're at best middle of the pack, but quite likely closer to the bottom, and at UK 7-5 has been our ceiling. We've only won more than 7 games in a regular season once in my lifetime. It's not that people get bored, it's that, especially last year the UK were a hair away from 9-3, and we want to see UK take that step forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

The problem with this is that 7-5, ESPECIALLY, in the SEC, means you're at best middle of the pack, but quite likely closer to the bottom, and at UK 7-5 has been our ceiling. We've only won more than 7 games in a regular season once in my lifetime. It's not that people get bored, it's that, especially last year the UK were a hair away from 9-3, and we want to see UK take that step forward.
                        For sure. It will be awhile before we will challenge UGA or Bama for a SEC Championship, but I like where we are right now.
                        John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

For sure. It will be awhile before we will challenge UGA or Bama for a SEC Championship, but I like where we are right now.
                          Might be a while before ANYBODY seriously challenges ' Bama but Kentucky can and will challenge UGA now
                          Georgia is adored a bit too much by most everybody and Kentucky is still questioned a bit.

UK is very capable of beating Georgia this year

Comment

Originally posted by JEFFCOCATFAN View Post

Might be a while before ANYBODY seriously challenges ' Bama but Kentucky can and will challenge UGA now
                            Georgia is adored a bit too much by most everybody and Kentucky is still questioned a bit.

UK is very capable of beating Georgia this year
                            I don't think their run D is better than TAMU, MSU, UF, or USCjr.
                            Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Mark Stoops pay raise?

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X