Question on Wilson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Wilson

Given all we know about TW, are we being too negative on his play against aTm?
    Just looking for honest opinion, no baiting.
    i realize that I have been very vocal about it, but I also realize that Wilson is fairly knew to this level of play.

Thoughts?

My two main criticisms are his failure to throw the ball away, instead of taking a sack, and going down when he, probably, could have had a first down. That's basic fb. Therefore I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
    Last edited by Matt Dillon; 10-10-2018, 06:03 AM.
    Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
      My two main criticisms are his failure to throw the ball away, instead of taking a sack, and going down when he, probably, could have a first down. That's basic fb. Therefore I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
      These are my thoughts too. I would imagine he's seen that video several times by now, and we'll see what effect it has.
      John 3:3

Comment

Yes. He's 5-1. Everyone was down on Stephen Johnson eveb though he played hurt and led us to consecutive 7 win seasons.

There seems to be a contingent that wants Hoak to play. He hasn't been that impressive when he has played.

As they say the most popular player is the backup QB, especially at Kentucky.
        Last edited by fastkat; 10-09-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

UK is 5-1 in spite of Wilson's bad play.

He is 13th (out of 14) in the SEC in QB rating, he is 14th in passing yards, 13th in completed passes, 13th in yards per attempt, last in TD passes, 2nd in INTs. He has ran with the ball well but in nearly every aspect of what a QB is supposed to do he has been pretty terrible.

Winning is what matters and he is helping (I guess) do that. But, much like UK's kicking situation, I believe that Wilson will cost UK a game at some point this season.

Comment

Originally posted by JFCats22 View Post
            UK is 5-1 in spite of Wilson's bad play.

He is 13th (out of 14) in the SEC in QB rating, he is 14th in passing yards, 13th in completed passes, 13th in yards per attempt, last in TD passes, 2nd in INTs. He has ran with the ball well but in nearly every aspect of what a QB is supposed to do he has been pretty terrible.

Winning is what matters and he is helping (I guess) do that. But, much like UK's kicking situation, I believe that Wilson will cost UK a game at some point this season.
            I think we won the UF game largely because of him. And his GREAT play in the fist half against USCjr was a big part of that win. He needs to be better, but we aren't simply winning in spite of him.
            Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

I think we won the UF game largely because of him. And his GREAT play in the fist half against USCjr was a big part of that win. He needs to be better, but we aren't simply winning in spite of him.
              I would agree with you on UF and USC. However, you can also say that he was a big reason we lost the A&M game.

Overall I would probably give him a C at this point. He needs to be a LOT better, IMO.

Comment

I would agree with you on UF and USC. However, you can also say that he was a big reason we lost the A&M game.

Overall I would probably give him a C at this point. He needs to be a LOT better, IMO.
                I agree.
                Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

Comment

I would site offensive line penalties as the main reason for the loss on Sat. Wilson played poorly but several drives were killed by penalties. Even the bad sack in OT was in part due to the TEs not being on the correct snap count.

In the end, I would rather have 5 wins and 1 overtime loss to TAMU than 5-1 with a loss to UF.
                  Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

I would site offensive line penalties as the main reason for the loss on Sat. Wilson played poorly but several drives were killed by penalties. Even the bad sack in OT was in part due to the TEs not being on the correct snap count.

In the end, I would rather have 5 wins and 1 overtime loss to TAMU than 5-1 with a loss to UF.
                    Right on. I doubt his coaches or himself were satisfied with his play Saturday. And I bet they all are working on him getting better.
                    John 3:3

Comment

I agree A&M wasn't a good game for Terry. I've watched the video twice, and that's hard to do on a loss. There were two plays when I saw receiver open, and then I saw that the pocket had collapsed. He wouldn't even have the room to make a throwing motion. People were worried that he was going to be "Turn Over Terry."They can't criticize him on that, so far anyway. I've seen him complete passes in really narrow windows. The touchdown pass to Bouvier under pressure was a beauty. He's been a primary contributor in winning several of our games with timely passes, running for first downs, and touchdowns. I think the effort to simplify and cut the field in half to find receivers maybe catching up to us. I also saw db's muscling our receivers off the route and the ball when it was thrown. No question that he needs to continue to develop. Regardless of who is at QB, our line has to do a better job of pass protection and our WR's need to get separation more quickly. Shorter routes? Johnson improved the second half of his first year. He was definitely improved his second year. We need to have Terry continue to progress. If he does I think we'll have a shot at upsetting Georgia here. The next game is Vanderbilt. We overlook Vanderbilt at our own risk. They came close to embarrassing Nortre Dame in their own house. Expect them to come in here as a desperate team. I'm sure Kentucky is one of the teams on their schedule they think they can beat, and have to if they are going to a bowl. Time will tell how effectively we will use the break to improve our offense.

Comment

This. QFT. We're not going undefeated but we can still win the East.

Comment

The comparison to Stephen Johnson....

TW throws like SJ with a hurt shoulder, and has slightly quicker wheels.

Comment

Terry must be doing something right with a completion rate at 67%.

Comment

Penalties were definitely big. Logan Sternberg in particular had major trouble.

HOWEVER, the announcer pointed out very early in the game that the offensive line seemed to be having trouble with the snap count.

And it was obvious that UK was playing excruciatingly slow. I'm not sure what that was about, really, but we were sometimes going up to the line and waiting interminable seconds to snap it. Sometimes that appeared to be by design, other times it looked like we were just confused.

The announcer blamed that on Wilson when he mentioned it. I'm not sure if that's true, but something was definitely going on with the pace of play. My take is that they were just terrified about Wilson getting ahead of himself, playing too fast, and committing a turnover. They also likely wanted to tilt the time of possession stat even more in our favor. It backfired.

Comment

Question on Wilson

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X