Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

Quick reminder about Vandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
    ^
    Yeah I think it was the year before last.
    You are right. It was year before last MSU killed them.
    Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

I think if some of you were older you'd compare this years team any one of John Ray's teams

Comment

Originally posted by fastkat View Post
        I think if some of you were older you'd compare this years team any one of John Ray's teams
        I remember coach Ray and his teams. I saw the wink, but I still don't understand what you mean. Would you clarify please.
        Life Comes At You Fast

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post

I remember coach Ray and his teams. I saw the wink, but I still don't understand what you mean. Would you clarify please.
          Seems like there's a few people that want to compare this team to teams of the past. I don't get all the negativity directed towards this team. This is the oldest and deepest team we've had in years. It's not fair to compare this to Stoops first teams. Joker left him nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinHall View Post

It looked like in Stoops first year they had two bye dates. That's the reason there are six games. But WIKI could be wrong. I did qualify my statement as every year is different. I hope this one is but I do know UK football history. I am waiting to see what happens and I won't get my hopes up too much until a good or great season actually happens.
            You were correct about 2 open dates during Stoops first year - 2013. We played #20 Florida and lost and played @ Miss State and lost. MOF we lost 10 out of 12 weeks we played.

In 2014 he beat Vandy in Commonwealth Stadium the 4th game of the season. In 2015 we hosted Auburn and lost. 2016 we hosted Miss State and won. Last year UK went to Miss State and lost.

So, I was wrong about the number of open dates so I humbly apologize and you were correct saying we were 2-4 during Stoops tenure but that doesn't tell the whole story IMO.

During Stoops first three years the team was 12-24 and was 1-3 after bye weeks. His most recent two years the regular season record was 14-10 and he's been 1-1. 'IF' they were to beat Vandy at home next week then those cumulative numbers the last 2+ seasons would be 2-1 and 20-11 with 5 regular season games remaining.

Put in perspective, Rich Brooks' best three year regular season record was 20-16. Jerry Claiborne's was 20-13-1. Fran Curci's was 21-11-1. Bear Bryant's was 27-5.

Remember when UK football was enjoying the kind of success we are currently witnessing?

Me neither.

Comment

Originally posted by RV View Post

You were correct about 2 open dates during Stoops first year - 2013. We played #20 Florida and lost and played @ Miss State and lost. MOF we lost 10 out of 12 weeks we played.

In 2014 he beat Vandy in Commonwealth Stadium the 4th game of the season. In 2015 we hosted Auburn and lost. 2016 we hosted Miss State and won. Last year UK went to Miss State and lost.

So, I was wrong about the number of open dates so I humbly apologize and you were correct saying we were 2-4 during Stoops tenure but that doesn't tell the whole story IMO.

During Stoops first three years the team was 12-24 and was 1-3 after bye weeks. His most recent two years the regular season record was 14-10 and he's been 1-1. 'IF' they were to beat Vandy at home next week then those cumulative numbers the last 2+ seasons would be 2-1 and 20-11 with 5 regular season games remaining.

Put in perspective, Rich Brooks' best three year regular season record was 20-16. Jerry Claiborne's was 20-13-1. Fran Curci's was 21-11-1. Bear Bryant's was 27-5.

Remember when UK football was enjoying the kind of success we are currently witnessing?

Me neither.
              I think his success is basically on par to where Brooks,Caliborne and Curci's was at this point. Brooks retired before we could see if he could sustain his success. The other two couldn't for varied reasons. Time will only tell if Stoops can sustain good success or it falls off like the others and he goes into the dust bin of former UK coaches.
              Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Heaven knows I've been wrong, but I don't think any of those teams had the depth this staff has built.

Another plate of crow for me to eat....I've been one of those that have questioned player development with CMS.
                MOST of our O-line was unheralded. Even Drake Jackson, although I think he was 4- star, was not built ''''physically" to be a dominant lineman. Bennie Snell was for most of us an afterthought bench player when he signed. Josh Allen was a 2star that seemed destined to quit, sit, or transfer .
                This staff has proved that IF KIDS STICK OUT THE GRIND OF THREE OR FOUR YEARS....they can turn into pretty doggone good football players. I can think of two kids I thought were emotional basket cases back in spring practice that this staff has stuck with and are looking mighty good
                I like this bunch of kids. I THINK WIlson will grow this two weeks more than he has all year. Learning to lead sometimes comes from falling on your face first.

Comment

Originally posted by fastkat View Post

Seems like there's a few people that want to compare this team to teams of the past. I don't get all the negativity directed towards this team. This is the oldest and deepest team we've had in years. It's not fair to compare this to Stoops first teams. Joker left him nothing.
                  I understand you, now. Thanks for the clarification. My fandom goes back to 1954. I would compare this team favorably with all of the teams since then, especially on the def. side of the ball, with the exception of the 1977 team. In my opinion, at this point, the '77 team was better all around. That '77 team was an absolute juggernaut. They went 10-1 and defeated, among others, Penn St. on the road, LSU on the road, Ga. on the road, Fl. on the road and UT (home).
                  Life Comes At You Fast

Comment

If I remember, didn't that team lose to Baylor? I do remember Prince Charles was visiting the state's and there was a write up of him being at the Georgia game. That team was senior stocked as well...and until now the most physical crew I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
                      If I remember, didn't that team lose to Baylor? I do remember Prince Charles was visiting the state's and there was a write up of him being at the Georgia game. That team was senior stocked as well...and until now the most physical crew I remember.
                      After opening the season with a win over No. Car., they did lose the next game to Baylor. Then they reeled off nine straight wins. Most people were of the opinion that the Texas heat got to us at Baylor.
                      Life Comes At You Fast

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post

After opening the season with a win over No. Car., they did lose the next game to Baylor. Then they reeled off nine straight wins. Most people were of the opinion that the Texas heat got to us at Baylor.
                        I think the heat did get to them. They played that game on astro turf IIRC. It had to be well over 100 degrees on the field. Also IIRC they had running back that got hurt that game and was lost for season. I think that messed them up for that game only.
                        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
                          That team was senior stocked as well...and until now the most physical crew I remember.
                          Right you are! We has season tickets back then and went to the game in Nashville. We sat on the first row of the end zone and witnessed, up-close and personal, the absolute brutal beating they gave Vandy.

Comment

Probably every coach that's been at UK, before and after I began following them (1954), has had memorable wins, but the 1977 season, first game to last, has to be the most memorable season for me. That was a really fun time to be a UK fb fan.
                            Life Comes At You Fast

Comment

Personally I'm not very worried about Vandy. This team has a different feel about it, and I believe they will be ready and the Coaches will have them prepared.
                              John 3:3

Comment

Its good to have a mid-season open date. But today just isn't the same without a game to look forward to. I'm with Lighthouse--I look for not an easy but a somewhat comfortable win next weekend.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Quick reminder about Vandy

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X