Urban Meyer retiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban Meyer retiring

Urban Meyer is retiring as Ohio State's coach after the Rose Bowl, and offensive coordinator Ryan Day will take over as head coach beginning Jan. 2, the school announced.

Meyer, who has coached Ohio State for the past seven seasons, will formally announce he's stepping down at a 2 p.m. news conference in Columbus alongside Day and athletic director Gene Smith. The 54-year-old has battled the effects of an arachnoid cyst on his brain, which causes severe headaches, especially when under stress. The cyst was diagnosed in 1998 but worsened the past few years, and Meyer dropped to his knees on the sideline during an October game against Indiana and often looked distressed during games, rubbing his head and wincing.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...hing-rose-bowl
    Meyer is arguably the second best football coach in the game today behind Nick Saban. Not the biggest fan of how he ran his programs but he was effective and dominant and I hope he is able to manage his health issues.
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

I started a thread, a few days ago, about coach Meyer's retirement. I guess it slipped back to page two. At that time, he stated he planned to retire after next season. Evidently, he changed his mind, or someone changed it for him.
    Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
      I started a thread, a few days ago, about coach Meyer's retirement. I guess it slipped back to page two. At that time, he stated he planned to retire after next season. Evidently, he changed his mind, or someone changed it for him.
      I believe the second part nailed it Matt. There has been something edgy going on in tOSU football all year. I get the feeling that Urban Mayer's non-apology and frankly throwing his AD and the guys over him under the bus earlier this year likely ended up in a 'come to...' meeting that Mayer found he was NOT the President or Head Chancellor of Ohio State University.

Comment

I dunno guys, to me it seems the simplest and most likely explanation is that his doctors told him that the stress of coaching OSU is exacerbating his health condition and endangering his longevity. Remember he had a heart attack while at Florida that resulted in his retirement the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

Meyer is arguably the second best football coach in the game today behind Nick Saban. Not the biggest fan of how he ran his programs but he was effective and dominant and I hope he is able to manage his health issues.
          Don't like the way he does things now but at the time I thought we should have gone after him when he was at Bowling Green

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
            According to a close friend of mine in U. Florida's admin, both of Meyer's departures from UF were conected to a rather salacious scandal that I won't repeat. She insists that his almost departure and then departure wasn't of his choosing but he wasn't fired to avoid embarassment for the University and important people affiliated with UF.
            Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

According to a close friend of mine in U. Florida's admin, both of Meyer's departures from UF were conected to a rather salacious scandal that I won't repeat. She insists that his almost departure and then departure wasn't of his choosing but he wasn't fired to avoid embarassment for the University and important people affiliated with UF.
              I believe that he's ethically and morally handicapped.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

I believe that he's ethically and morally handicapped.
                That would be consistent with her version.
                Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Why do I have a feeling that if the Notre Dame job were to come open in the next three years or so, Meyer's health would miraculously improve?

Comment

I seriously doubt this "retirement" lasts long. I think this was as much OSU's decision as it was his. Not only that his way of doing things rubbed people the wrong way, but I also think they wanted to keep Day from going after a different coaching job.

Likely to be some pretty high profile jobs come open soon ,USC & FSU to name a couple. Won't surprise me one bit if he is miraculously healthy enough to take one of them.

Comment

Urban Meyer retiring

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X