8 years in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 years in

I saw where this is the 8 year mark on Coach Stoops.
    Young guy that had never tried on the big seat takes over and now is one of the longest tenured P5 coaches (same school) around. Says a whole lot about just how bad the program was when he took over. Barnhart had the luxury of a world class basketball program to fall back on while he started to feed more and larger crumbs to football. Even though Barnhart had alienated a lot of the fan base with some really bad statements himself.
    Mark Stoops has had to grow his players, his staffl, and himself. It has been a sometimes painful roller coaster ride for the fan base....at least this one. His thin skin and passion are sometimes a toxic mix that bleeds into his antics on the sideline as well as out of control actions by his players. I like the passion though....he and his players are the guys you want with you in a bar fight.
    Stoops has made efforts.....clock management, trying to get more balanced out where a bad play doesn't last a quarter. He still has a long way to go....just like me.
    He has turned Kentucky into a program that kids don't say "....well, I guess Kentucky....it's better than nothing.." and that's a huge change. We have gone from losing kids to Miami of Ohio to getting a few from Ohio State. That's monstrous.
    Last year was disappointing with the returning talent...but honestly that team would have likely been an 8 win team in a normal season. Couple breaks and one less terrible heartbreak and it could well have been 6-4 and not 4-6. A win over a top 25 team in the Gator eased the pain a lot...and it would have been not nearly so close except for those continued meltdowns.
    Overall....real good hire. Could have been a lot worse. UK fans have experienced lot worse.
    Thanks coach.

Nice post, Bill.
    "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Spot on Bill. I'm expecting more growth and excitement this coming season.
      John 3:3

Comment

I became a Wildcat fan during the Rick Norton era. Stoops is the best coach we've had since then, no question in my mind. I THINK he actually has a winning record during his tenure which, amazingly, no other coach in the last 60 years can say. I still believe he's leaving stuff on the table. I'd love to see him and the program take the next step up, which means being a top team in the SEC. Blue koolaid aside, I think we're really close. Ask PSU, VT, and NCSt.

Comment

Coach Stoops has taken Kentucky Football from a laughable team to a team to be reckoned with every time they play. Fans are enjoying watching a very strong defense, and hopefully an offense with many more options this season. Do I like everything he does? No, especially special teams, and an conservative offense. I hope he takes his hands off the offense and allows Coen to do his thing. And, study up on late game management.

Comment

I love what Stoops has done here and where we are headed.

He isn't perfect, but he is pretty darn good.
            Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
            He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
            Originally posted by Charlie Munger
            I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
              I love what Stoops has done here and where we are headed.

He isn't perfect, but he is pretty darn good.
              Yes he is, and he is as dedicated to Kentucky Football as any Coach we've ever had.

Comment

U.K. is better now than when he took over, no question. The big problem is with a few notable exceptions, Vandy, UT, USC, the rest of the league has improved a lot as well. Last year with a veteran offense we went 4-6 in SEC.If we played a 10:game schedule again I expect it would be the same next year.Stoops is a first class defensive mind, we had one of the worst passing offenses in major college football the last 3 years at a time when all the really good college teams are opening their offenses up. We are on our 3-4 o coordinator since Stoops got here. All of this suggests that our head coach is oriented toward a style of offensive football that will win a lot of games but not the big games, the kind of games I used to dream I would see U.K. win at some point in my life. I believe Stoops has taken U.K. about as far as his philosophy and ability will take him in this league. I hope I am wrong but with an 8/year sample I don't think so. If 8 wins a year a .500 or so conference record and beating a middle of the pack ACC team or Big Ten team makes you happy Stoops is the guy. For those of us who dream of seeing U.K. actually contend for an SEC title or more not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jload View Post
                  U.K. is better now than when he took over, no question. The big problem is with a few notable exceptions, Vandy, UT, USC, the rest of the league has improved a lot as well. Last year with a veteran offense we went 4-6 in SEC.If we played a 10:game schedule again I expect it would be the same next year.Stoops is a first class defensive mind, we had one of the worst passing offenses in major college football the last 3 years at a time when all the really good college teams are opening their offenses up. We are on our 3-4 o coordinator since Stoops got here. All of this suggests that our head coach is oriented toward a style of offensive football that will win a lot of games but not the big games, the kind of games I used to dream I would see U.K. win at some point in my life. I believe Stoops has taken U.K. about as far as his philosophy and ability will take him in this league. I hope I am wrong but with an 8/year sample I don't think so. If 8 wins a year a .500 or so conference record and beating a middle of the pack ACC team or Big Ten team makes you happy Stoops is the guy. For those of us who dream of seeing U.K. actually contend for an SEC title or more not so much.
                  I think we are close to contending for an SEC east title now but...

Every time I hear this criticism, I find myself asking. Who do you think should replace one of the best coaches in school history such that we would achieve the status you desire?

If we start firing good coaches for not being Nick Saban, we are going to end up like UT only worse.
                  Aspirational...

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                  I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

Our program was one of the worst in the country for decades. Some periods were truly embarrassing. To turn something like that around, a coach needs three things from his administration: loyalty, trust, and most of all, time.

Eight years is nothing in the grand scheme of things. The first two or three, a coach just has to show that he isn’t more of the same. Then, he has to translate that to recruiting, which takes another three years or so. At that point — best case scenario, which I actually think we’re seeing — those recruits start translating to on-field success, and in turn that begins to entice even better recruits. Once the coach and program aren’t as hamstrung by their own reputation, and he isn’t forced to merely work with whoever he can get (players and staff), THEN he can start thinking about making selective personnel decisions that allow him to do what he wants to do, instead of what he’s forced to do.

We’re at that point, and in my opinion, this is where we’ll really begin to see what Stoops is made of. We’re in better shape than we’ve ever been in, we have better players than we’ve ever seen at Kentucky, and we’re legitimately equipped to win some real games with consistency. If he can’t do that with what he has built, then we can think about complaining. But even that is a multi-year process all its own. We should be glad that unlike most programs, ours has had patience with Stoops. We’re reaping the benefits as we speak, and if this keeps up, it’s not hard to see us following a similar path of Frank Beamer’s VT program. Not saying we’ll make it to the NC out of the SEC, but if Stoops can capitalize on what he’s done (he has his flaws, but I think he can), then we may start winning real bowl games.

Comment

I was not saying Stoops should be replaced. I simply said I feel he has gotten us about as far as I think he can. We have gone from being an SEC bottom feeder to a little less than average SEC team. To get higher up the pecking order we will have to recruit better, and yes I know KSR and many of our fans hype football recruiting but reality is we rated 10th and 11th respectively against other SEC teams the last 2 years. Stoops hasn't recruited a good quarterback since he has been here , with the exception of Bowden the same holds true at the receiver position. Our passing game the lifeblood of modern college football has been one of the worst in the nation for the past 3 years but in reality it has never been good under Stoops. Finally I just can't see why he is getting an absolute pass on a 4-6 regular season with arguable the most talented team he has had since he got here.

Comment

Finally I just can't see why he is getting an absolute pass on a 4-6 regular season with arguable the most talented team he has had since he got here.
                        If someone has to explain the COVID season to you, then odds are good that you simply don't want to be convinced of anything other than what you already believe.

Comment

I was not saying Stoops should be replaced. I simply said I feel he has gotten us about as far as I think he can. We have gone from being an SEC bottom feeder to a little less than average SEC team. To get higher up the pecking order we will have to recruit better, and yes I know KSR and many of our fans hype football recruiting but reality is we rated 10th and 11th respectively against other SEC teams the last 2 years. Stoops hasn't recruited a good quarterback since he has been here , with the exception of Bowden the same holds true at the receiver position. Our passing game the lifeblood of modern college football has been one of the worst in the nation for the past 3 years but in reality it has never been good under Stoops. Finally I just can't see why he is getting an absolute pass on a 4-6 regular season with arguable the most talented team he has had since he got here.
                          I would point out that we spend in the bottom half of SEC schools on Football. That needs to change and has nothing to do with Stoops.
                          Aspirational...

Comment

Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

If someone has to explain the COVID season to you, then odds are good that you simply don't want to be convinced of anything other than what you already believe.
                            This.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

I would point out that we spend in the bottom half of SEC schools on Football. That needs to change and has nothing to do with Stoops.
                              And this.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

8 years in

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X