The NIL quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NIL quandary

We could all see it coming. Pay for play. Although the NCAA tried to put some legal speak on it and say a school or 'booster' could not actively use money to entice players....well....Louisville has suddenly picked up some remarkably high ranked players, and Tennessee is being Tennessee wide out in the open

Let's face it. We've known for decades about college kids driving Porsches....or poor families all of a sudden getting REALLY nice digs when their kids signed...
    but come on...
    Some of these dollar amounts are better than 4th round NFL money for guys never taking snaps, and reportedly some of these kids are demanding it up front.

Yes, I know...coach's contracts. Yes, players deserve to be supported. Somebody needs to take a harder look.
    If not, then divide the college teams into NFL minor league territories and let the big boys pay the bill.

This thing could well get uglier really quick.

This will end up being a huge problem.
    John 3:3

Comment

We won’t retain this staff unless changes are made.

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
        We won’t retain this staff unless changes are made.
        Right now it's like trying to fight with one hand tied behind your back. This is reflected in this year's (2023) recruiting class as compared to some of the more recent ones.
        "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

It SEEMS an issue has to do with "collectives". An individual cannot approach a recruit with any type of offer, while a collective in some way can get that word out.

Pretty much the same deal as the Louisville / basetball shoe company deal, only a different name.

I believe MB believes the powers that be will hammer down on this....but it doesnt look like it.

Sooooo....either hope for some type of rule to come into play, or see if we can get some folks with deep pockets to fall in love with UK football.

Or we may be in the market for a football staff hoping to land 2 star athletes....if they are lucky.

Comment

In my opinion, the powers that be should tell Mitch to get with the program or hit the road. I'm beginning to wonder about Mitch. He's done a lot of good since he's been here, but he doesn't get along with Cal and now there's a rift between him and the football coaches.
            "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Another thought is this: if Mitch, or anyone else, thinks the NCAA is going to retroactively punish UofL, UT et al, when there are no rules prohibiting what they're doing, they can probably purchase some desert swamp land. One lawsuit would take care of that.

Comment

The problem is that the NCAA has basically said that NIL deals before they get on campus are enticements and they'll be punished for them. I think that's hogwash and the NCAA is mostly toothless, but it gives ADs and Universities who are squeamish an out.

I agree, though, that if Cal and Stoops are being hamstrung then the powers that be need to tell Mitch to hit the road.

Comment

The NCAA is likely saying “see—told you so” as if they were correct all along because this can’t be controlled. In fact they forced this by standing by their decades old line that a kid benefiting financially from his/her own popularity relinquishes their amateur status. In fact they could have allowed an entrepreneurial kid to make some money on endorsements or products all along and could have set the guidelines for it. Instead they waited for the government to step in and allow it and of course there’s nothing in place to keep it from going from a local car dealership offering a popular kid at the local university a few thousand dollars for his mom and siblings to be able to eat to in exchange for putting his face on a billboard to the Wild West of every willing donor ponying into the recruiting budget of kids still in high school.

No surprise to me the NCAA is unprepared to deal with what happens next. Should have changed with the times rather than forcing the government to make a ruling. For years most people have thought it absurd the individuals generating billions of dollars in the industry get no share in it. The fact it’s a total mess now doesn’t mean that was wrong. Just shows the NCAA should have handled it themselves.

Imagine the truly poor kid growing up in the rat infested hell hole one room apartment in inner city Chicago with six siblings and very little food. The NCAA’s view since the beginning of time has been that if there’s any indication those folks have anything before their “meal ticket” graduates and gets his NBA contract then he’ll lose his eligibility. Even worse—he’ll lose his eligibility UNLESS he’s at Duke or UNC.

So now we have a cluster. Will be several years before there’s any order to it at all. There will clearly be “haves” and “have-nots” like Saban has said. I just hope UK has enough rich alums with successful businesses to make the cut and that the product on the field/courts is still entertaining when all is said and done.

Our government has enough problems to deal with. A decent governing body of college sports would be nice so congress could stick with bigger issues.
                  Last edited by Catsrock; 07-20-2022, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Well said, Catsrock, well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
                      Well said, Catsrock, well said.
                      Thanks Matt. Been meaning to air my grievance for a week or so. Does a fella good sometimes to put his take out there.

Comment

This NIL thing is already getting out of hand and it's going to get worse. The NCAA is a joke as usual and another governing body formed by responsible University Presidents might right the ship.
                        John 3:3

Comment

they need to come out and say, no player is allowed to have contact with, nor sign contracts with NIL until 3 weeks after they start classes of their freshman year, or their transfer year. .

Comment

Originally posted by WIZARD View Post
                            they need to come out and say, no player is allowed to have contact with, nor sign contracts with NIL until 3 weeks after they start classes of their freshman year, or their transfer year. .
                            Good idea. However, it makes too much sense for the NCAA to consider.

Comment

The NCAA can’t do anything here - they’re hamstrung by 50 state legislatures. Congress needs to establish a National standard.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The NIL quandary

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X