The NIL quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catgrad7072 View Post

Good idea. However, it makes too much sense for the NCAA to consider.
    TRUTH!
    John 3:3

Comment

We all know what is coming. NCAA as we know it will be over for Power 5 football teams. Not sure about other sports especially NCAA Men's Basketball. We might also be near the end of March Madness (the way we know it). It is sad but it is needed. Not sure how we come to the point of AD / League commish / NCAA Uppers getting paid what they are paid. Then we have coaches making almost 10 mil a year and we keep telling ourselves that these are student athletes and the scholarships are enough. You reap what you sew. This will end with players association a union and has nothing to do with student at all. At least for most. Think about the old days of Church league softball (competitive leagues). Heck the only time you ever saw 2/3 of the players at church was once or twice during season. It is the same for these upper level athletes in football. They are playing college because their bodies are not ready to play against full grown men (most anyway). It is time to separate (school from School athletics). It is all about $$ coming to each school. It is marketing, it is making money off of individuals that are just trying to get out of horrible situations (most cases). I love college sports (not just UK). I love college sports. But this crazy train has been gathering steam since the early 80's and now it is time to pull the plug and reinvent the wheel and start calling it what it is. It is a way to market a school off of athletics. These men are working hard year round to put a product out that makes the college more money, just like any job out there. If this was about school, tradition, students and amature athletics, it would not cost anything or little anything for a student to go to a game or staff to go to a game. It would not cost a family a weeks pay to have fun on a Saturday night (including eats and such). We would not be discussing serving beer at games and things like that. Games would be in small stadiums and TV Deals would not be a part of it. Everyone including normal business owners are trying to make a $ off of their local teams.
      RANT OVER.
      Proverbs 25:24

Comment

Originally posted by Pobilly View Post
        We all know what is coming. NCAA as we know it will be over for Power 5 football teams. Not sure about other sports especially NCAA Men's Basketball. We might also be near the end of March Madness (the way we know it). It is sad but it is needed. Not sure how we come to the point of AD / League commish / NCAA Uppers getting paid what they are paid. Then we have coaches making almost 10 mil a year and we keep telling ourselves that these are student athletes and the scholarships are enough. You reap what you sew. This will end with players association a union and has nothing to do with student at all. At least for most. Think about the old days of Church league softball (competitive leagues). Heck the only time you ever saw 2/3 of the players at church was once or twice during season. It is the same for these upper level athletes in football. They are playing college because their bodies are not ready to play against full grown men (most anyway). It is time to separate (school from School athletics). It is all about $$ coming to each school. It is marketing, it is making money off of individuals that are just trying to get out of horrible situations (most cases). I love college sports (not just UK). I love college sports. But this crazy train has been gathering steam since the early 80's and now it is time to pull the plug and reinvent the wheel and start calling it what it is. It is a way to market a school off of athletics. These men are working hard year round to put a product out that makes the college more money, just like any job out there. If this was about school, tradition, students and amature athletics, it would not cost anything or little anything for a student to go to a game or staff to go to a game. It would not cost a family a weeks pay to have fun on a Saturday night (including eats and such). We would not be discussing serving beer at games and things like that. Games would be in small stadiums and TV Deals would not be a part of it. Everyone including normal business owners are trying to make a $ off of their local teams.
        RANT OVER.
        The word I get is all sports of power 5 schools will be overseen by a new committee set up by the Presidents of the schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

The word I get is all sports of power 5 schools will be overseen by a new committee set up by the Presidents of the schools.
          That will start out well and good intentions. But we know human nature will always be involved and it will fail. Might take just as long as NCAA 30's till now or might fail quickly. We will have to see. Would love to see a 3 part committee that would be on the look out for these young people. Maybe School admin team 1, Athletes Team 2 and then an oversite committee made up of other industry leaders at Team 3. Each will equally representation and then maybe just maybe something can be done to make this a good venture for all and include something us as fans will be proud to back.

Comment

I would hate to see the end of march madness as it is one of the greatest (besides the Sweet 16 of KHSAA) sporting events ever made. I played football for Bryan Station back in prehistoric times with Monty Dawson, Marc Logan, Cornell Burbage, Juan Stout, Kermit Sikes and on and on. We had some great student athletes. All have made the most of their lives and am proud to say I got to line up and play against those guys during the week and with them on Friday nights. I as decent but no Power 5 kind of guy and had a car wreck with 5 knee surgeries over the first few years of my young adult life. That being said, football is always one of my favorite sports, not the NFL any longer, but peewee to NCAA is awesome. To see someone that gets it (whenever that is) is just a special thing. The team building and competition was great for us as players. NCAA Basketball and NBA/ABA till the late 90's was also a close 2nd. NCAA tourney was always my favorite time of year. This past year I had All 4 games on at one time in my TV room with my big brother and we had a blast (even with UK meltdown). I watched the games till the end and had a great 3 weeks of watching games. To lose the St Pete vs UK game will be a tragedy but it is what is coming. The MAC and other conf will end up playing what is now the NCAA tourney and it will be as popular as the division 2 or 3 tourney. Too bad. Good basketball being played NAIA through Power 5.

Comment

If we end up with 5 Power conferences of 16 teams each, that will be 64 teams and March Madness would begin. Could be as good as now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                If we end up with 5 Power conferences of 16 teams each, that will be 64 teams and March Madness would begin. Could be as good as now.
                Would be good that way. I really respect your opinion on all things.

I got a feeling that one conference (BIG 10) to ge the name, is more greedy and will want more. Once that happens then SEC will follow suit. Then either PAC 12 / ACC or BIG 12 will be totally gone. We will end up with 3 to 4 18 to 20 conferences.

I like your way much better but GREED is at hand, right in our faces and GREED seems to ALWAYS win out. lol

Comment

The SEC started the arms race with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma, it’s the greedy one. We aren’t heading to 5 power conferences, we’re heading to 2 in the SEC and Big10, and everyone else is irrelevant.

Comment

Does NIL allow for parity among the schools who will be in the power 5, or will it simply bolster the status quo of the schools at the top? I think once it washes out, it will simply bolster those already at the top. It'll be "same as it ever was", with just a different set of rules.

Texas Tech has a whole host of kids on the football team with NIL deals and their "contracts" simply require them to engage in "community service".

I thought the whole point of NIL was that a kid could use NIL to provide product endorsements. TT deals aren't that, and apparently it doesn't matter.
                    Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

The college football world is headed to a strange new place with NIL plus a one time open transfer rule. College free agency.
                      many things could happen. Coaches at the mercy of a handful of recruits, player jealousy over NIL deals, and others. (Sounds a little familiar)
                      OR you could be an Alabama or Ohio State fan.
                      then it doesnt matter.

Comment

Meanwhile....... These girls are sisters - a junior and a sophomore.

Rising sister soccer stars Alyssa and Gisele Thompson are first to sign high school NIL deal with Nike
                        Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

Originally posted by surveyor View Post
                          Meanwhile....... These girls are sisters - a junior and a sophomore.

Rising sister soccer stars Alyssa and Gisele Thompson are first to sign high school NIL deal with Nike
                          Oh the humanity! How will their teammates cope with them getting money!?!?!?! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! What about the beautiful purity of a free labor force!?! WAAAAHH!!!
                          Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                          He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                          Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                          I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

Oh the humanity! How will their teammates cope with them getting money!?!?!?! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! What about the beautiful purity of a free labor force!?! WAAAAHH!!!
                            LOL! I'm surprised that NIL contracts for HS kids happened so quickly - and that it was for soccer players. I figured there would have been NIL deals for HS basketball or football players first.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The NIL quandary

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X