Sports Ticker

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SEC EXPANSiON, Thoughts?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SEC EXPANSiON, Thoughts?

    Who do you want to see in the SEC.
    If we go to 20 top 4 choices
    North Carolina: Great for basketball (will firm up SEC is the best league in bball). Football will not fall much either. UNC will actually get stronger being in the SEC. More southern area to recruit. Becomes with Tennessee our biggest rivals. Would love it.

    VA TECH: Adds good football and nto bad basketball. Another natural SEC North team.

    NC STATE: Both again will add good teams to football and basketball. Not much drop off.

    BAYLOR or TCU: Either will be strong additon to that area. Wrap up the Texas ties to the SEC.

    If we go to 8 Teams: That is tricky.

    Virginia: Not sure about them but better than WVU.
    Clemson: Great football and good basketball. Not sure i am a Clemson to SEC Fan or I would have them in the first 4.
    FLA STATE or MIAMI: Natural choice for SEC.

    The 8th team is the hardest. Any takes SEC down a few notches in my opinion.
    I would say GA TECH but not sure about them.
    Louisville: again not sure about them
    OK State: maybe
    Houston: might be the best choice
    Memphis- Nope to 3 Tennessee teams lol.
    Proverbs 25:24

  • #2
    What about Duke?
    "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

    Comment


    • #3
      I understand that’s the way we’re headed Po. But a 20 or 24 team conference just seems like way to many teams to me. Especially in football. You have 24 teams, you play a third of them and crown a champion for it for that sample size? Just not a good design. But since it’s coming I suppose it’s sensible to discuss who is brought in. In that regard you probably just want the strongest programs out there even though it makes UK’s road even tougher. Or maybe it doesn’t. If you put UNC in place of the UGA or Bama game I guess you come out ahead. I say keep UL out though. They’re sleaze.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
        What about Duke?
        Not sure Duke brings enough Football wise. I guess it would be OK to have DUKE VANDY. Maybe we can be in a division with Duke and Vandy. lol
        Proverbs 25:24

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Catsrock View Post
          I understand that’s the way we’re headed Po. But a 20 or 24 team conference just seems like way to many teams to me. Especially in football. You have 24 teams, you play a third of them and crown a champion for it for that sample size? Just not a good design. But since it’s coming I suppose it’s sensible to discuss who is brought in. In that regard you probably just want the strongest programs out there even though it makes UK’s road even tougher. Or maybe it doesn’t. If you put UNC in place of the UGA or Bama game I guess you come out ahead. I say keep UL out though. They’re sleaze.
          I only said Louisville because I sort of want to watch Rome burn each year. Fans for Ville would melt down all the time. They think they play in a hard league now. They cant imagine. lol
          Proverbs 25:24

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Catsrock View Post
            I understand that’s the way we’re headed Po. But a 20 or 24 team conference just seems like way to many teams to me. Especially in football. You have 24 teams, you play a third of them and crown a champion for it for that sample size? Just not a good design. But since it’s coming I suppose it’s sensible to discuss who is brought in. In that regard you probably just want the strongest programs out there even though it makes UK’s road even tougher. Or maybe it doesn’t. If you put UNC in place of the UGA or Bama game I guess you come out ahead. I say keep UL out though. They’re sleaze.
            I think if we do 20 or 24 we do 4 divisions of either 5 or 6 teams. You play each 5 plus 4 others every year. The 4 switches 2 home and away each year. So say UK was in a division of Kentucky, Tennessee, UNC, VA TECH, NC State. Play the 4 each year, then add UGA, FLA, VANDY and MIZZou this year, Add Arkansas, Alabama, LSU and Miss St. and so on. Till you run through the others. If i play bama at bama this year and 4 years down the road we have bama again it has to be at Commonwealth.
            Then the 4 divisions winners each year would have a 2 game SEC playoff to decide the SEC Champ (bowl games). Then SEC / BIG 10 other Conference (first and 2nd place teams) play in playoff style new championship.
            Proverbs 25:24

            Comment


            • #7
              Louisville doesn’t add anything to the SEC footprint. It’s all media market driven, so you probably go for FSU and Miami to get the state of Florida in your reach, then probably the other big one is Washington DC. So you could go for UVA or maybe UNC and Duke to get the Carolinas.

              Louisville doesn’t add enough as the SEC already has that market.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                Louisville doesn’t add anything to the SEC footprint. It’s all media market driven, so you probably go for FSU and Miami to get the state of Florida in your reach, then probably the other big one is Washington DC. So you could go for UVA or maybe UNC and Duke to get the Carolinas.

                Louisville doesn’t add enough as the SEC already has that market.
                I couldn't agree with you more.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The general consensus seems to be Clemson, Virginia, UNC and Florida State. However, of those three, only UVA really expands the television footprint, and THAT is what it’s all about these days. Rivalries, cultural fits and geographic proximity take a back seat, at best. Miami could take us into South Florida, so that may push them up the ladder a bit. Or, we may do nothing at all. After all, the SEC does not really NEED to expand.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks to the downfall of the basketball program, Louisville adds little to nothing. N.Carolina could help in a new recruiting area, so could Virginia and West Virginia. Certainly Cincinnati is looking for a big home.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SBCatMan View Post
                      The general consensus seems to be Clemson, Virginia, UNC and Florida State. However, of those three, only UVA really expands the television footprint, and THAT is what it’s all about these days. Rivalries, cultural fits and geographic proximity take a back seat, at best. Miami could take us into South Florida, so that may push them up the ladder a bit. Or, we may do nothing at all. After all, the SEC does not really NEED to expand.
                      Grab Florida State and Miami and you own the two largest states in the southern United States and several top 10 media markets. There’s a difference between having a presence and owning the market, especially with Miami where the SEC isn’t getting a piece of the pie.

                      I also don’t think UNC and Duke separate.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SBCatMan View Post
                        The general consensus seems to be Clemson, Virginia, UNC and Florida State. However, of those three, only UVA really expands the television footprint, and THAT is what it’s all about these days. Rivalries, cultural fits and geographic proximity take a back seat, at best. Miami could take us into South Florida, so that may push them up the ladder a bit. Or, we may do nothing at all. After all, the SEC does not really NEED to expand.
                        On North Carolina how does that not expand the media market. No SEC of any type in North Carolina. No teams and such. ACC all the way in that area. I would assume Charlotte is the 22nd largest media market and Raliegh Durham is 24th largest media market. Atlanta, Dallas, Orlando, Miami are the only markets bigger than North Carolina. I am guessing we have SEC fans in North Carolina but i would assume it would pick up a bunch more with UNC and NC State or Duke. Florida State does not pick up any new markets. Miami would for sure. UVA would as well. So would the other parts of Texas (Houston, Baylor, TCU). I do not think Kentucky gets tons of guys out of North Carolina, Bet UGA, FLA do.
                        Proverbs 25:24

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Florida State is still a prestigious name in college football. The state of Florida is a football goldmine, so it makes sense you’d go for all three and just own it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Dennis Dodd reports the Big 10 is evaluating Cal, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington for further admittance - all 4 of those would presumably hinge on Notre Dame deciding to remain an independent (or join the SEC?). Notre Dame deciding to remain independent likely depends on whether NBC will match what the Big 10 annually payout would be (between $75-100 million a year).

                            All of this just kinda sucks. Nobody really wants this, it's all just financially driven and it's not going to result in a better product on the field.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I agree that all this sucks. But I think we are going to have 3 super leagues. Each with 20 teams. Then we will have the Irish in South Bend as an independent and maybe the rest with the lower teams like MAC and such. Then we will have a 16 team playoff (which will be a good thing for football).
                              I see the SEC adding some of the teams discussed in this thread, probably UNC, CLemson, Virginia or virginia tech and then Miami or Fla St. We will see big 20 and SEC 20 then PAC/BiG/ACC 20.
                              Proverbs 25:24

                              Comment

                               

                              A Word From Our Founder

                              With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

                              SEC EXPANSiON, Thoughts?

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X