Quick look at the Youngstown game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick look at the Youngstown game

The defense certainly looks like the real deal.
    as for the offense, well....

It's certainly a bonus to win by 31 and know you have a lot to improve on.

There is no way to sugar-coat it. Our OL is awful. We were unable to run against Miami of Ohio and Youngstown State! Levis was sacked, harassed and hurried in both games. At its current level, the OL will keep us from enjoying the special season that many feel is within our grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by SBCatMan View Post
      There is no way to sugar-coat it. Our OL is awful. We were unable to run against Miami of Ohio and Youngstown State! Levis was sacked, harassed and hurried in both games. At its current level, the OL will keep us from enjoying the special season that many feel is within our grasp.
      The OL does have a ways to go but, they're improving some each game. It is what it is and as long as they work hard and show improvement, I'll take it.
      John 3:3

Comment

It seems that the wide zone is causing confusion ig n blocking scheme. Not just OLINE either, backs and WR are having issues with blocking. TE are solid. Levis is also missing reads to help OLINE. Seems like we are missing the Center calling the scheme blocks like Jackson did.

Backs (especially Wright seems to be thinking and then running) and is missing his reads on cuts. Smoke is great with a small opening but he cannot be the guy to wait for the block to happen and then go. CROD is perfect at the wait for the block to happen.

Played both O and D Line many moons ago. I loved playing D line but was a better OLINE. Our guys have great feet (you can see the training). They are missing the punch when coming off the ball. Seems to be getting punched for the most part.

You can teach so much technique. You can even teach short cuts to make a slow line a touch faster (angle blocks). You cannot teach a OLINE nasty attitude. OLINE are momma's boys (in the best way). Would kill for their mom's without hesitation. We need guys to get their attitude on and now. We need the Fortner attitude. A little penalty here and there.

Just my 2 cents.
        Proverbs 25:24

Comment

I agree with both SBCatMan and Pobilly. If the off. doesn't get it together, by the time SEC play rolls around, we're going to lose a lot of games.
          "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

I think Pobilly may be on to something about the outside zone. Even last year’s OL with their MFL talent had trouble blocking the outside zone and Coen reverted back to more of an inside zone scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Pobilly View Post
              It seems that the wide zone is causing confusion ig n blocking scheme. Not just OLINE either, backs and WR are having issues with blocking. TE are solid. Levis is also missing reads to help OLINE. Seems like we are missing the Center calling the scheme blocks like Jackson did.

Backs (especially Wright seems to be thinking and then running) and is missing his reads on cuts. Smoke is great with a small opening but he cannot be the guy to wait for the block to happen and then go. CROD is perfect at the wait for the block to happen.

Played both O and D Line many moons ago. I loved playing D line but was a better OLINE. Our guys have great feet (you can see the training). They are missing the punch when coming off the ball. Seems to be getting punched for the most part.

You can teach so much technique. You can even teach short cuts to make a slow line a touch faster (angle blocks). You cannot teach a OLINE nasty attitude. OLINE are momma's boys (in the best way). Would kill for their mom's without hesitation. We need guys to get their attitude on and now. We need the Fortner attitude. A little penalty here and there.

Just my 2 cents.
              Great point about center as well. We’ve been spoiled at that position for years now

Comment

Neither coach Stoops nor Coach Scarangello were happy with the offense.
                the line is not consistent, and nothing infuriates CMS much more than fumbles....and Cats had four.

Lol....we are again a one dimensional offense...its passing now instead of running.

Just pointing out that Will Levis in his comments admitted the line needs work....he just said it more diplomatically '...we all need to do better and help out...'
                Last edited by 40bill; 09-18-2022, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post

Just pointing out that Will Levis in his comments admitted the line needs work....he just said it more diplomatically '...we all need to do better and help out...'
                  He's probably getting tired of getting pounded every game. It's a good thing he's a big, strong guy.

"There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

I’m glad that we are in a place to be angry/irritated with a 31 pt victory.

I remember when our offense was so terrible we were looking at overtime vs EKU…
                    Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                    He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                    Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                    I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Quick look at the Youngstown game

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X