NCAA makes massive transfer portal rule changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA makes massive transfer portal rule changes

It’s clear to anyone who watches college football that the transfer portal has become an absolutely massive part of the game in recent years as more players are choosing to change schools than ever before in the sport’s history. And the NCAA has just made some rule changes to help cut down on the number of players entering the transfer portal.​

NCAA makes massive transfer portal rule changes (msn.com)
    "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Well, two problems, as I see it.

First, this “massive” rule change, while well-intentioned, appears to be akin to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It only applies to second transfers, and even then excludes graduate students. That would impact a very small percentage of players in the portal. For every Beau Allen there are probably 200 Devin Learys. Even then, the exceptions could be broadly interpreted. For example, I think I am a star and my lack of playing times is becoming a mental health issue. Therefore, I should be allowed to transfer.

Secondly, I am not even sure this really falls under the NCAA’s jurisdiction anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SBCatMan View Post
      Well, two problems, as I see it.

First, this “massive” rule change, while well-intentioned, appears to be akin to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It only applies to second transfers, and even then excludes graduate students. That would impact a very small percentage of players in the portal. For every Beau Allen there are probably 200 Devin Learys. Even then, the exceptions could be broadly interpreted. For example, I think I am a star and my lack of playing times is becoming a mental health issue. Therefore, I should be allowed to transfer.

Secondly, I am not even sure this really falls under the NCAA’s jurisdiction anymore.
      Have to agree with SBCat on the first point. From what I can tell the "multiple" transfer are far more a result of two other reasons. First, best I can tell, a transfer that occured prior to enactment of the current rule does not count a the "one time transfer" the current rule allows. And as SBCat list it does not apply to graduate transfers.

Take QB JD Daniels as an example. He started at USC, transferred to UGa, then to WVa and then to Rice. The initial transfer to UGA occurred prior to implementation of the current rule and thus does not count ashis "one time" transfer. The transfer to WVa would count as his "one time" transfer and his transfer to Rice as a graduate transfer. (I'm not sure this is the actual history.) Nothing in the "massive" rule change would curtail any of his transfers.

Comment

Football is the bigger issue. You have guys like Kirby and Nick stockpiling linemen (promising the moon to 17/18 year olds) and they never see the field. I think it has to come down to each individual kid. If a kid from KENTUCKY picks BAMA and is buried and could neve see the field, then let him go (Maybe not to another conference team but to say the BIG 10 or BIg 12). If they prove to Board they picked bama because they were promised playing time over others, then they can move to any school.
        I know teams like bama and uga have gotten kids to go there knowing they will never play, just to keep other teams from having a legit player. Gotta stop the madness but also gotta protect the students. Cannot be NIL driven.
        Proverbs 25:24

Comment

You know, I am going to slightly disagree on this one. What you are describing absolutely,100% used to happen back in the 50s, 60s and even into the 70s. The BIG boys would offer rides to dose so of kids they knew would never play just to keep them away from the competition. That practice was legendary. Growing up in South Bend, I know with certainty that was a common practice at Notre Dame. And, to compound the problem, kids who were buried on the depth chart back then could not transfer, or at least not very easily.

However, with today’s scholarship limitations, even the UGAs and Bamas of the world cannot afford to waste them. If a kid is buried on the depth charge it is usually because he was misjudged to begin with or because he failed to develop or perform. It is rarely by design, IMO.

Comment

I have to believe this will eventually work itself out, and I agree not enough schollies to bury too many guys. Plus guy like Saban will find a way to play you if you got the goods. As for next year, if we get our O line figured out we could be good, schedule is pretty rough though, 8 wins would be a good season.

Comment

The line is really the big concern that strikes me. Both of them.
              great quarterbacks are just guys when they're on their backs.
              Our line allowed an astounding number of sacks this last season.
              Whether schene, coaching, talent or attitude....ya got me.

Our receivers were fine frosh, but their routes left a bit to be desired.

And to just be honest, I really get tired of hearing what a great tight end room we have EVERY year, then see other teams light us up with TE routes while we may see four passes a game.

Like I said, I'm just a fan. I HOPE the return of our OC works magic,
              but we got the same line coach as last year.

Just sayin'....

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
                The line is really the big concern that strikes me. Both of them.
                great quarterbacks are just guys when they're on their backs.
                Our line allowed an astounding number of sacks this last season.
                Whether schene, coaching, talent or attitude....ya got me.

Our receivers were fine frosh, but their routes left a bit to be desired.

And to just be honest, I really get tired of hearing what a great tight end room we have EVERY year, then see other teams light us up with TE routes while we may see four passes a game.

Like I said, I'm just a fan. I HOPE the return of our OC works magic,
                but we got the same line coach as last year.

Just sayin'....
                I agree 100%, Bill. A friend and I were talking about Leary and I said it doesn't matter who the QB is if the oline doesn't produce.
                "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

NCAA makes massive transfer portal rule changes

Collapse
                Working...
                X