No announcement yet.

Decommits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard Jarren Williams will start for Miami. The bad thing for him is they also have 2 Freshmen OL starting including a True freshman Left Tackle. The kid may not make it to the end of the game if they have to rely heavily on dropback passes.

Comment

Here is an update on decommits from the 2018, 2019 and 2020 classes. I'll try to go back and cover the prior years later.

DT Tyler Bentley, Pitt: 2019, entered as likely 3rd string NT, played in four games (starting in October) and the bowl game, so should have redshirted. Finished with 7 tackles: 2 against Duke, 2 in a 28-0 loss to Virginia Tech, and one each against Georgia Tech, North Carolina, and bowl opponent Eastern Michigan (against whom he batted down a pass). 2018, entered as a 6'2" 300 true freshman and redshirted. Committed to UK, took a visit to Pitt, and I think the coaches may have cut him loose after that. He ended up at Pitt. If he wasn't a major contributor to Pitt's DL, it isn't likely he'd be one on UK's in 2019 or later.

WR Jermaine Eskridge: 2019, I can't find out what happened to this former 5* recruit. 2018, appeared to be headed to Iowa Western Community College. He began as a 5* and top 100 recruit; very briefly committed to USF long after decommitting from Kentucky; reportedly had offers to Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, UCLA, Washington, and several others, at least at one point. Ended up as a 3* recruit. I don't know what issues or circumstances were present. I have no idea if he could compete for a roster spot or playing time at UK.

WR Cadarius Gaskin, FIU: 2019, appears to be a 2nd string WR as a sophomore; totaled 2 catches for 17 yards. 2018, 3 catches for 82 yards and 1 TD, did not redshirt; he also wanted to play baseball at FIU but I don't know if he did. He announced a commitment to Kentucky in the spring, but the interest did not seem reciprocated. I don't think he's compete for a roster spot or playing time at UK despite playing a likely position of need.

WR Meechi Harris, Cincinnati: 2019, does not appear to be on a college roster. 2018, does not appear to have played, and left the team after the season. Was a 3* prospect, committed to UK for a few months, then visited Cincinnati and ended up there. I don't know that he'd have ever played at UK and I don't know how the staff viewed him as the recruiting process wound down or if he is finished with football.

WR Shocky Jacques-Louis, Pitt: 2019, started as a 2nd string WR, finished with 23 catches for 348 yards (15.1 avg) and 2 TDs, 13 rushes for 83 yards. He had 4 catches for 104 yards (1 for 74) and 1 TD and one carry for 12 yards in an OT win over North Carolina, 6 catches for 80 yards and 1 carry for 11 yards against Boston College, and 4 catches for 68 yards and 1 carry for 17 in the bowl against Eastern Michigan; in all other games he had 2 catches or less and 11 or fewer rushing yards. Against Virginia Tech he had 1 catch for 8 yards and 3 carries for -3 yards. 2018, 3 starts, 9 receptions for 76 yards as a true freshman, long of 15, and 7 carries for 58 yards. 3* with some nice offers, committed to Kentucky, then to Tennessee, then after Butch Jones was fired appeared to come down to Kentucky and Pitt, but I'm not sure how interested Kentucky was at the end, and he signed with Pitt. I don't know that it's clear whether or to what extent he'd play at UK, or how the staff viewed him as the recruiting process wound down; I don't see anything so far that indicates he's better than any WRs on UK's roster or list of signees.

LB Xavier Peters, Florida State: 2019, transferred to Kentucky, will sit out the year. 2018, I don't know if he'll be eligible, or if he has any chance of not redshirting. 4*, well regarded player with nice offers; announced his commitment but I'm not sure any of us ever knew how sincere or solid it was, and apparently at least one family member wasn't sold on his decision. If eligible, by reputation, he could have competed for time this year at UK and will in later years.

DE Alex Reigelsperger, Minnesota: 2019, prior to the season, appeared to be a likely 3rd string DE at 6'4", 255, but quite football due to an injury before the season. 2018, redshirted. 3* by most services, committed to Kentucky and it was hoped his teammate Blue Smith would join him; Smith ended up at Ohio State and Reigelsperger ended up at Minnesota. If at UK, no doubt he'd have redshirted in 2018, and it's unlikely he'd have ever played, especially if he suffered the same injury. (Blue Smith transferred from Ohio State to Cincinnati after one year, I think. If he was as good as advertised, Smith probably could've seen playing time at UK.) It's safe to say he'd not have been a contributor at Kentucky.

QB Jarren Williams, Miami: 2019, entered the season in a three way contest that included Ohio State transfer Tate Martell; played early and well, played less well through the season, saw little action at midseason, played more later in the season and was inconsistent, including getting yanked as Louisiana Tech shut them out in their bowl game (9 of 20, 94 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, 2 sacks). He was 19 of 36 with 3 INTs and 2 sacks in a loss to Florida Atlantic in the second to last game of the season, then 11 of 26 for 142 and sacked 7 times in the finale against Duke. Against Florida in the opener he was 19 of 30 for 214 and 1 TD, and had 15 carries for -43 yards; against Virginia Tech he was 4 of 7 for 47 yards, 0 TDs, 3 INTs, -2 rushing yards; against Louisville, 15 of 22 for 253, 6 TDs, 0 INTs, 23 yards rushing. He finished 169 for 276, 2,187 yards, 19 TDs, 7 INTs, and was sacked 34 times. He ran 67 times for -68 yards and 0 TDs. 2018, was one of 5 QBs on the roster and didn't play in any significant action, completing 1 of 3 pass attempts for 17 yards in a 77-0 win against Savannah State; was 9 of 14 for 107 yards and 1 TD in the spring game. 4* player, committed to UK, decommitted, recommitted, picked up some terrific offers, jumped late to Miami. I don't know if he could've make a run at the starting job at UK in 2018; I could've see him as the starter or 4th stringer or anything in between, and not necessarily at the same point on the depth chart month to month. His late season performance was unsound and Kentucky was better with Bowden at QB than it would've been with him. Time will tell if he lives up to his high school reputation.

DT Elijah James, Iowa Western CC: 6'4" 300 3 star teammate of former UK WR JaVonte Richardson; not sure he actually had a real offer from Kentucky. He ended up at Liberty.

DE Taures Payne, Houston: 2019, 6'4" 260, one of Houston's top signees; finished the year with 2 tackles, one tackle for a loss, against Prairie View A&M. 2018, Northwest Mississippi CC: 10 games, 31 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 4 sacks; 2017, JC, 33 tackles, 6 TFLs, 2.5 sacks. If he was not on the field for Houston after two years at a junior college, he would not have been on the field for Kentucky.

WR JaVonte Richardson, Iowa Western CC: former Wildcat, left UK for junior college, not sure what has happened with him. He is not with any program now, as far as I can tell.

WR Wandale Robinson, Nebraska: 2019, true freshman, entered the season looking line a 2nd string WR. Finished with 40 catches for 453 yards (11.3 avg) and 2 TDs, 88 rushing attempts for 340 yards and 3 TDs. He didn't play in two games and Nebraska didn't make a bowl game. His big games were against Illinois (8 catches for 79 yards and 2 TDs, 19 rushes for 89 yards and 1 TD), Northwestern (7 catches for 123 yards, 7 rushes for 44 yards and 1 TD), Indiana (6 catches for 71 yards, 22 rushes for 83 yards and 1 TD) and Purdue (7 catches for 46 yards, 14 rushes for 29 yards). He had 3 or fewer catches for 48 fewer yards, and no more than 27 rushing yards in all his other games, in which he also had no scores. I'm not sure what role or action he'd have seen at Kentucky in 2019, or would have in future years.

S Keontra Smith, Miami: 2019, true freshman, one of Miami's top incoming freshmen, entered in a fight to get on the 2 deep. He played in a total of 7 games, including their bowl game, mostly on special teams, and recorded no stats except for 2 tackles against Bethune-Cookman. Miami finished 6-7 after losing to Louisiana Tech in the Independence Bowl. It's unlikely Smith would have played at Kentucky this year and with who Kentucky has returning and entering it is doubtful based on the record so far that Smith would have any real role in Kentucky's secondary at any point.

CB Jay Ward, LSU: 2019, true freshman, entered the season not likely to see any significant action, finished with 4 tackles (1 each in wins against Florida, Mississippi State, Alabama and Arkansas) and no other stats. 2018, high school, committed to UK in June 2018, decommitted in November after LSU offer (and three days before Ohio State offer, four days before visit to Florida); Texas A&M and Florida went after him hard beut he ended up signing with LSU. LSU has a remarkably full and talented secondary; it's difficult on the record so far to say what Ward would be doing at UK in 2019 or later years.

DT Lamar Goods, Florida: finished high school as the 4 star prospect he was when he was committed to Kentucky; 6'3", 310, nice set of offers. Time will tell how he compares to Kentucky's incoming DTs.

OG Richie Leonard, Florida: finished high school as a 3 star prospect, 6'2" 320 with a nice set of offers. Time will tell how he compares to Kentucky's incoming OGs.

OT Gerald Mincey, Florida: finished high school as a 3 star prospect, 6'5" 320, nice set of offers. Time will tell how he compares to Kentucky's incoming OTs.

WR Jordan Watkins, Louisville: finished high school as a 3 star prospect. His offer sheet was weak; Rutgers was his only other P5 offer. I'm not sure whether his commit to UK was welcomed or in response to a committable offer. At 6'0" 180 I'm not sure he brings anything the WR's in Kentucky's class lack, but time will tell.
      Last edited by Old School; 01-05-2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Added to post above due to length limits:

Of these players (2018-2020):

Would not have contributed at UK:

WR Jermaine Eskridge
        WR Cadarius Gaskin
        WR Meechi Harris
        DE Alex Riegelsperger, Minnesota
        DT Elijah James
        DE Taures Payne, Houston

Unlikely to contribute much at UK:

DT Tyler Bentley, Pitt

Unclear or too early to tell:

WR Shocky Jacques-Louis, Pitt
        LB Xavier Peters, Florida State/Kentucky
        QB Jarren Williams, Miami
        WR JaVonte Richardson
        WR Wandale Robinson
        S Keontra Smith
        CB Jay Ward, LSU
        DT Lamar Goods, Florida
        OG Richie Leonard, Florida
        OT Gerald Mincey, Florida
        WR Jordan Watkins, Louisville

Comment

An update on Kentucky decommits who still have eligibility left:

LB DeMarco Artis, Baylor: 2018, left the program in July. 2017, appeared in half of Baylor's games and had 6 tackles; was in the top 10 of their recruiting class, which was weakened by the scandal there. He committed to UCF, then to Florida State, then signed with Baylor. I do not think he would have been a factor at UK and I do not know that he had a place in UK's recruiting class.

DT/OT James Hudson, Michigan/Cincinnati: 2020, likely starter at LT at Cincinnati, coming off 11-3 year. 2019, reserve LT at Cincinnati after transferring from Michigan. 2018, played in 3 games at LT for Michigan. 2017, moved from DL to OL and redshirted. 4* recruit but was barely in the top 20 in their outstanding class. He'd likely be playing, and at DL, at UK, but that's speculation.

QB Mac Jones, Alabama: 2020: likely Alabama's starting QB unless a freshman beats him out. 2019: will fight two freshmen for the #2-3 QB position. 2018: third string QB but did not see action in a contested game unless Tagovailoa and Hurts were both unavailable; 123 passing yards, 38.5% completion percentage, 1 TD, 0 INT. Looked irretreivably buried on the depth chart despite being the MVP of Alabama's spring game (23 of 35 for 289, 2 TDs, 1 INT; Hurts was 19 of 37 for 195, 0 TD, 1 INT; Tagovailoa sat out due to a hand injury). Getting arrested for DUI in November 2018 didn't help and neither did the backup's heroics in the national championship game.

TE Charles Reeves, Pitt: 2019, playing at Youngstown State. 2018: dismissed from team for disciplinary reasons and didn't appear to have landed anywhere tbat year. 2017, redshirted. 4* recruit, in the top 5 in their class, came in at 6'5" 280. A dismissal at Pitt most likely would mean a dismissal at UK, and from a position of roster depth. Youngstown State plays at Commonwealth in 2022 but Reeves' eligibility should be exhausted by then.

RB Michael Warren, Cincinnati - 2019, started at RB and attempted to repeat as all conference, had 1,316 yards on 261 attempts, 4.8 ypc, 14 TDs for a team that finished 11-3 and beat UCLA and Boston College. 2018, first team All AAC with 1,329 rushing yards (5.4 ypc), starting 12 games; looked likely to be thesecond string RB behind sophomore Gerrid Doaks, who was a potential All-AAC candidate but missed the season due to injury. 2017, played in 12 games, posted 324 yards (6.0 average) and 1 TD as a true freshman (3rd on team) and caught 5 passes for 57 yards. Committed to Toledo, then signed with Cincinnati as the top recruit in UC's class. If Rose can perform as he did in the spring game, I don't think Warren would play much at UK. (Cincinnati’s starting QB again this year is Desmond Ridder, also a Kentucky kid.)

CB Russ Yeast, Louisville: 2020, should start at SS as a senior. 2019, 11 starts, 61 tackles, 5 pd; 5’11" 185. 2018, l8 tackles in 11 games as a sophomore. 2017, started playing five games into the season and became an important part of a defense that didn't perform very well, starting 7 games and finishing with 23 talkes and 2 PBUs; also returned some punts (3.3 average, long of 21). 4* recruit, in the top 4 or 5 recruits in their class. I don't know where he would stand in UK's backfield.

DT Tyler Bentley, Pitt: 2020: enters season as 2nd string DT. 2019, entered as likely 3rd string NT, played in four games (starting in October) and the bowl game, so should have redshirted. Finished with 7 tackles: 2 against Duke, 2 in a 28-0 loss to Virginia Tech, and one each against Georgia Tech, North Carolina, and bowl opponent Eastern Michigan (against whom he batted down a pass). 2018, entered as a 6'2" 300 true freshman and redshirted. Committed to UK, took a visit to Pitt, and I think the coaches may have cut him loose after that. He ended up at Pitt. If he wasn't a major contributor to Pitt's DL, it isn't likely he'd be one on UK's in 2019 or later.

WR Jermaine Eskridge: 2019, I can't find out what happened to this former 5* recruit. 2018, appeared to be headed to Iowa Western Community College. He began as a 5* and top 100 recruit; very briefly committed to USF long after decommitting from Kentucky; reportedly had offers to Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, UCLA, Washington, and several others, at least at one point. Ended up as a 3* recruit. I don't know what issues or circumstances were present. I have no idea if he could compete for a roster spot or playing time at UK.

WR Cadarius Gaskin, FIU: 2020, not sure if he’s still playing football. 2019, appeared to be a 2nd string WR as a sophomore; totaled 2 catches for 17 yards. 2018, 3 catches for 82 yards and 1 TD, did not redshirt; he also wanted to play baseball at FIU but I don't know if he did. He announced a commitment to Kentucky in the spring, but the interest did not seem reciprocated. I don't think he's compete for a roster spot or playing time at UK despite playing a likely position of need.

WR Meechi Harris, Cincinnati: 2019, does not appear to be on a college roster. 2018, does not appear to have played, and left the team after the season. Was a 3* prospect, committed to UK for a few months, then visited Cincinnati and ended up there. I don't know that he'd have ever played at UK and I don't know how the staff viewed him as the recruiting process wound down or if he is finished with football.

WR Shocky Jacques-Louis, Pitt: 2020, likely 2nd string despite starting 9 games over the past 2 years. 2019, started as a 2nd string WR, finished with 23 catches for 348 yards (15.1 avg) and 2 TDs, 13 rushes for 83 yards. He had 4 catches for 104 yards (1 for 74) and 1 TD and one carry for 12 yards in an OT win over North Carolina, 6 catches for 80 yards and 1 carry for 11 yards against Boston College, and 4 catches for 68 yards and 1 carry for 17 in the bowl against Eastern Michigan; in all other games he had 2 catches or less and 11 or fewer rushing yards. Against Virginia Tech he had 1 catch for 8 yards and 3 carries for -3 yards. 2018, 3 starts, 9 receptions for 76 yards as a true freshman, long of 15, and 7 carries for 58 yards. 3* with some nice offers, committed to Kentucky, then to Tennessee, then after Butch Jones was fired appeared to come down to Kentucky and Pitt, but I'm not sure how interested Kentucky was at the end, and he signed with Pitt. I don't know that it's clear whether or to what extent he'd play at UK, or how the staff viewed him as the recruiting process wound down; I don't see anything so far that indicates he's better than any WRs on UK's roster or list of signees.

LB Xavier Peters, Florida State: 2020, at a junior college. 2019, transferred to Kentucky, did not play much. 2018, I don't know if he'll be eligible, or if he has any chance of not redshirting. 4*, well regarded player with nice offers; announced his commitment but I'm not sure any of us ever knew how sincere or solid it was, and apparently at least one family member wasn't sold on his decision. If eligible, by reputation, he could have competed for time this year at UK and will in later years.

DE Alex Reigelsperger, Minnesota: 2019, prior to the season, appeared to be a likely 3rd string DE at 6'4", 255, but quit football due to an injury before the season. 2018, redshirted. 3* by most services, committed to Kentucky and it was hoped his teammate Blue Smith would join him; Smith ended up at Ohio State and Reigelsperger ended up at Minnesota. If at UK, no doubt he'd have redshirted in 2018, and it's unlikely he'd have ever played, especially if he suffered the same injury. (Blue Smith transferred from Ohio State to Cincinnati after one year, I think. If he was as good as advertised, Smith probably could've seen playing time at UK.) It's safe to say he'd not have been a contributor at Kentucky.

QB Jarren Williams, Miami: 2020, will be a teammate of Xavier Peters at Garden City Community College in Kansas. 2019, entered the season in a three way contest that included Ohio State transfer Tate Martell; played early and well, played less well through the season, saw little action at midseason, played more later in the season and was inconsistent, including getting yanked as Louisiana Tech shut them out in their bowl game (9 of 20, 94 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, 2 sacks). He was 19 of 36 with 3 INTs and 2 sacks in a loss to Florida Atlantic in the second to last game of the season, then 11 of 26 for 142 and sacked 7 times in the finale against Duke. Against Florida in the opener he was 19 of 30 for 214 and 1 TD, and had 15 carries for -43 yards; against Virginia Tech he was 4 of 7 for 47 yards, 0 TDs, 3 INTs, -2 rushing yards; against Louisville, 15 of 22 for 253, 6 TDs, 0 INTs, 23 yards rushing. He finished 169 for 276, 2,187 yards, 19 TDs, 7 INTs, and was sacked 34 times. He ran 67 times for -68 yards and 0 TDs. 2018, was one of 5 QBs on the roster and didn't play in any significant action, completing 1 of 3 pass attempts for 17 yards in a 77-0 win against Savannah State; was 9 of 14 for 107 yards and 1 TD in the spring game. 4* player, committed to UK, decommitted, recommitted, picked up some terrific offers, jumped late to Miami. I don't know if he could've make a run at the starting job at UK in 2018; I could've see him as the starter or 4th stringer or anything in between, and not necessarily at the same point on the depth chart month to month. His late season performance was unsound and Kentucky was better with Bowden at QB than it would've been with him. Time will tell if he lives up to his high school reputation.

(break due to post length limit...)

Comment

(continued from last post)

DT Elijah James, Iowa Western CC: 2020: starting DT at Liberty. 2019: 19 tackles, 1.5 TFL in 12 games. 2017: 6'4" 300 3 star teammate of former UK WR JaVonte Richardson at junior college; not sure he actually had a real offer from Kentucky. He ended up at Liberty.

DE Taures Payne, Houston: 2020: not likely on the 2 deep on the DL. 2019, 6'4" 260, one of Houston's top signees; finished the year with 2 tackles, one tackle for a loss, against Prairie View A&M. 2018, Northwest Mississippi CC: 10 games, 31 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 4 sacks; 2017, JC, 33 tackles, 6 TFLs, 2.5 sacks. If he was not on the field for Houston after two years at a junior college, he would not have been on the field for Kentucky.

WR JaVonte Richardson, Iowa Western CC: former Wildcat, left UK for junior college, not sure what has happened with him. He is not with any program now, as far as I can tell.

WR Wandale Robinson, Nebraska: 2020, likely starter at WR. 2019, true freshman, entered the season looking line a 2nd string WR. Finished with 40 catches for 453 yards (11.3 avg) and 2 TDs, 88 rushing attempts for 340 yards and 3 TDs. He also averaged 21.5 KR. He didn't play in two games and Nebraska didn't make a bowl game. His big games were against Illinois (8 catches for 79 yards and 2 TDs, 19 rushes for 89 yards and 1 TD), Northwestern (7 catches for 123 yards, 7 rushes for 44 yards and 1 TD), Indiana (6 catches for 71 yards, 22 rushes for 83 yards and 1 TD) and Purdue (7 catches for 46 yards, 14 rushes for 29 yards). He had 3 or fewer catches for 48 fewer yards, and no more than 27 rushing yards in all his other games, in which he also had no scores. I'm not sure what role or action he'd have seen at Kentucky in 2019, or would have in future years.

S Keontra Smith, Miami: 2020, moved to linebacker, fighting for backup spot. 2019, true freshman, one of Miami's top incoming freshmen, entered in a fight to get on the 2 deep. He played in a total of 7 games, including their bowl game, mostly on special teams, and recorded no stats except for 2 tackles against Bethune-Cookman. Miami finished 6-7 after losing to Louisiana Tech in the Independence Bowl. It's unlikely Smith would have played at Kentucky this year and with who Kentucky has returning and entering it is doubtful based on the record so far that Smith would have any real role in Kentucky's secondary at any point.

CB Jay Ward, LSU: 2020, backup to Derek Stingley, who is probably the best CB in college football. 2019, true freshman, entered the season not likely to see any significant action, finished with 4 tackles (1 each in wins against Florida, Mississippi State, Alabama and Arkansas) and no other stats. 2018, high school, committed to UK in June 2018, decommitted in November after LSU offer (and three days before Ohio State offer, four days before visit to Florida); Texas A&M and Florida went after him hard beut he ended up signing with LSU. LSU has a remarkably full and talented secondary; it's difficult on the record so far to say what Ward would be doing at UK in 2019 or later years.

DT Lamar Goods, Florida: finished high school as the 4 star prospect he was when he was committed to Kentucky; 6'3", 310, nice set of offers. Time will tell how he compares to Kentucky's incoming DTs. Will probably play some in 2020, and has a chance to play past redshirting.

OG Richie Leonard, Florida: finished high school as a 3 star prospect, 6'2" 320 with a nice set of offers. Time will tell how he compares to Kentucky's incoming OGs. Unlikely to play much at all; almost certain redshirt.

OT Gerald Mincey, Florida: finished high school as a 3 star prospect, 6'5" 320, nice set of offers. Time will tell how he compares to Kentucky's incoming OTs. Unlikely to play much at all; almost certain redshirt.

WR Jordan Watkins, Louisville: finished high school as a 3 star prospect. His offer sheet was weak; Rutgers was his only other P5 offer. I'm not sure whether his commit to UK was welcomed or in response to a committable offer. At 6'0" 180 I'm not sure he brings anything the WR's in Kentucky's class lack, but time will tell. Looks to enter 2020 outside the 2 deep.

Comment

Great stuff Old.School. Great work.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Decommits

Collapse
              Working...
              X